Gamespot declares war on the WiiU

#81gokauryPosted 11/22/2012 1:52:41 AM
Kurama2 posted...
The Wii-U is an awful system with awful hardware, deal with it.

A troll is a troll, is a troll, and always a troll.
---
-PS3 Platinum Trophies: Heavy Rain, Infamous 2, Lego Indiana Jones 2, Resident Evil 5, Skyrim
#82Virtue777Posted 11/22/2012 1:52:57 AM
Kurama2 posted...
The Wii-U is an awful system with awful hardware, deal with it.

Care to elaborate? Why is it an awful system? Why is the hardware awful? So far, even the most negative reviews of the hardware tend to conclude that it is, overall, a pretty good system.
---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#83jungfreud(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2012 8:00:51 AM
sonic777 posted...
It doesn't matter.

4.5 being an outlier implies that no one gave ZombiU a review of anywhere close to 4.5 also.

And that simply isn't the case.

This whole topic gets destroyed by that one piece of information.

4.5 is 2.8 points off the average (7.3 currently) and the highest scores (of which there are several in the 85-90 range, not just one) are only a max of 1.7 off the average. Therefore, Gamespot is the outlier. Your whole attempt to flamebait gets destroyed by that one piece of information.
#84AlexTheGreyWolfPosted 11/22/2012 8:02:37 AM
Everyone must have declared war on the Wii U then, not a single gaming website likes it.
---
Live Gamertag: Leto Atreides 3
PSN ID: LetoAtreides82
#85jungfreud(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2012 8:15:54 AM
Virtue777 posted...

The Wii U is experiencing something similar. Here are all of these titles catered to us hardcore gamers, and while they may not be terrible games, they're either disappointing ports of games we have already played, or fail to meet the AAA launch-title expectations a lot of us have (ZombiU, I'm looking at you). The distance between Nintendo and the hardcore gaming audience just makes the reality of the situation all the worse, and thus the experience worse. As a result, we have lower scores that aren't necessarily wrong or harsh, just a reflection of the experience, and that experience is sadly morphed a bit by our expectations.

I think you make some good points, here. I'd just like to see a more even handed approach in their coverage, it isn't so much about scores but about their overall perspective on the hardware, and what comes through in most reviews and description is that they are annoyed with the gamepad and think it's a gimmick. They have done the same thing with the touch screen aspects of the Vita and 3DS, frequently deducting points for things they deem "gimmicky".

We already know that hardcore gamers, especially for a nintendo console, are far from the only audience for these things. I haven't seen a single review on any game focused site except penny arcade that even mentions how a 8 or 12 year old feels about the thing (I have kids and would like to know) and how accessible it is for kids. Seems like that would be worth mentioning as well as improvements they have made on the backend like the store and no certification process for patches, something indie devs are really excited about.
#86sonic777Posted 11/22/2012 8:22:01 AM
jungfreud posted...
sonic777 posted...
It doesn't matter.

4.5 being an outlier implies that no one gave ZombiU a review of anywhere close to 4.5 also.

4.5 is 2.8 points off the average (7.3 currently) and the highest scores (of which there are several in the 85-90 range, not just one) are only a max of 1.7 off the average. Therefore, Gamespot is the outlier. Your whole attempt to flamebait gets destroyed by that one piece of information.

It doesn't matter.

"In statistics, an outlier is an observation that is numerically distant from the rest of the data."

I don't think 4.5 is distant from 5.0 and 5.5.

Please don't embarrass yourself further.
#87jungfreud(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2012 8:43:46 AM
sonic777 posted...
jungfreud posted...
sonic777 posted...
It doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter.

"In statistics, an outlier is an observation that is numerically distant from the rest of the data."

I don't think 4.5 is distant from 5.0 and 5.5.

Please don't embarrass yourself further.

From the same article:

"In most larger samplings of data, some data points will be further away from the sample mean than what is deemed reasonable."

It stands to reason that the score that is farthest away from the mean, especially when a large number of samples exist, is an outlier. Whether that is due to bias, sample error, or a hyperbolic and immature response to a difficult video game is not clear.

But please continue to double down on your ignorance of this basic mathematical concept.
#88sonic777Posted 11/22/2012 8:57:06 AM
I don't think 15 reviews, all on a scale of 10, counts as "large samples of data," and 4.5 being close to scores of 5 and 5.5 make it reasonable to include. Just because you don't agree with 4.5 doesn't mean we just sweep it under the rug.
#89jungfreud(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2012 9:14:53 AM
sonic777 posted...
I don't think 15 reviews, all on a scale of 10, counts as "large samples of data," and 4.5 being close to scores of 5 and 5.5 make it reasonable to include. Just because you don't agree with 4.5 doesn't mean we just sweep it under the rug.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/zombiu/critic-reviews

Sample size is 24, with one "negative" (red) review. And the reviews are using the decimal, as is the average, so it is actually more like a scale of 100. But don't let facts get in the way of your opinion.

Nobody is talking about sweeping anything, we are talking about the same methodology that metacritic and other aggregation sites use. The only difference is metacritic doesn't exclude outliers, it just makes it obvious which ones they are so you can identify them for yourself.
#90VampiricDragon_Posted 11/22/2012 9:16:24 AM
whoc ares