Why the Wii U is extremely overpriced, PROOF you can build a better machine

#21Xeeh_BitzPosted 11/22/2012 8:06:18 AM
and the TC is not talking about PC vs WII, he's saying component wise for $350 you can build a much stronger system, you guys are grasping at straws

and yes, the controller probably takes up the bulk of cost. While you could have probably had double the specs, Nintendo wanted a touchscreen on the controller, LOL
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#22hlxPosted 11/22/2012 8:06:55 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
and the TC is not talking about PC vs WII, he's saying component wise for $350 you can build a much stronger system, you guys are grasping at straws

and yes, the controller probably takes up the bulk of cost. While you could have probably had double the specs, Nintendo wanted a touchscreen on the controller, LOL

without a motherboard or power supply? Sure, build away.
---
WiiU NintendoID: hel1xx
#23noutBrPosted 11/22/2012 8:07:39 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
T3H_1337_N1NJ4 posted...
What part of that PC plays Nintendo games and has a tablet controller?

Dolphin plays WII games @ 1080P and uses the controllers

With an update, same thing will happen with the WII-U

Wait, you seriously expect Wii U emulation to happen anytime soon? I don't think you understand how emulation works and what the requirements are. Or maybe you have no clue how powerful the Wii U is, it's the same as expecting PS3 emulation to happen within a few years.
---
m e g a m a n f o r e v e r
#24TerotrousPosted 11/22/2012 8:09:02 AM
The tablet and the other stuff the Wii U comes with is clearly worth about $100. So you need to design a $200 PC that's stronger than the Wii.

Good luck.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GEN Alien Soldier"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#25Squished_MarioPosted 11/22/2012 8:09:32 AM
haveGAMER_X_REVIVAL posted...
I got bored and went over to newegg.

Keep in mind these are OFF THE SHELF parts, bought at RETAIL, NOT cost. This would likely cost Nintendo half the price if that, since they buy in bulk in the millions.

Lets run down the specs of the $350 Wii U, and then the Specs of the machine I was able to build for ONLY $400. RETAIL.

Nintendo Wii U 32GB Premium:
Tri-Core processor Noted as weaker than PS3/360, each core must be way under 3.0 ghz easily
2 GB DDR3-1600 RAM (12.8GB/s)
Bluray-like Drive (no media disc playback, 2X speed)
Radeon HD 4770 GPU
32 GB Hard Drive
4x USB, HDMI
Cost: $350

My thrown together newegg self built PC:
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Quad Core Processor (easily overclocked to 3.8 GHz)
4GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
Bluray combo drive (All media disc playback, BD-ROM 10X, DVD-ROM 16X, CD-ROM 48X speed)
Radeon HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 (roughly 40% better than the 4770 in the Wii U going on raw numbers)
500GB 7200 RPM, 32MB Cache Hard drive (cheapest internal HDD were 59 bucks and this was the largest for 59)
4x USB, HDMI, <<<<<AND AN ETHERNET PORT>>>>>
Cost: $400

So for 350 bucks you can get an already outdated and obsolete piece of hardware that is struggling to match the ps3 and 360, and has literally NO hard drive room and no ethernet port. Or for 50 bucks more you can build a piece of hardware with a much superior CPU, a superior GPU, 2 GB more ram which is also much faster, a disc drive thats 5 times faster, and almost 16 times more storage space.

And I wasn't even trying to look for sales on parts or combo deals, or even OEM discounts. I'm sure someone else could get this build for cheaper without a doubt. Btw this build did include a hyper 212 plus model cooler, a case, proper size power supply etc. No, mouse and keyboard were not factored in nor was a monitor, because with HDMI you can plug it into any modern tv like a console, and everyone has at least one kb and mouse lying around. If you dont, you probably cant even afford just the Wii U anyway.

First off, all I can say is what the hell Nintendo lol, tryin to rip people off and make insane profits with over priced underpowered hardware again huh?

Secondly, god dayum the cost of PC parts has dropped in the last 3 years. My PC that I built 3 years ago can run skyrim on the highest settings (outside of the highest shadow setting) with hi res mods no problem, but now for half the price of the Wii U I could upgrade just my video card and be future proof probably through the next goddamn gen with how weak the Wii U and 720/ps4 specs are seeming to be.

Nice, I think I'll do just that.

PC master race rewards my good sense once again.

Have to agree...I own the Wii U and while one game is fun so far, the bad seems to outweigh the good. There was no planning in this console. I'm sure you hear people ranting about how Nintendo ID ( linked to only one console and necessary for digital downloads) is locked to one Wii U forever, which is the biggest issue especially if it fails, at least for me. Miiverse is also a bit too restrictive and they can't seem to decide which words they deem "appropriate." I remember a Gamestop employee outright claiming that Wii U was more powerful than PS3/Xbox. I had a feeling he was just Bsing me and also trying to get me on that waitlist but I ended up finding one elsewhere anyway.

Either way, I'm glad whoever has their Wii U can enjoy it if that's their thing. The hype around it was misleading though and iit was rushed too fast.
---
Part of the Viewmaster_pi's Caln Magna cum laude
PSN: VexSilver
#26GAMER_X_REVIVAL(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2012 8:13:27 AM
I said in the OP, this build DOES include the other crap. Motherboard, cooler, power supply, case etc.

But thanks for grasping at the only thing you have to work with, one slight omission. Kinda proves my point I made in the OP.

As far as the gamepad, even eurogamer said china is selling legit fully functional andriod TABLET (not knockoff controllers) pcs for $50 USD. So the gamepad costs next to nothing to make, hell I would think most people realize that by now. The thing feels pitifully cheap in the hands, they couldnt even spend the money to put a little rubber under the buttons so they dont rattle like a dollar store knock off.

And anyone thats opened the battery compartment can see they cheaped out on the battery too, its tiny as hell. Can you say over priced nintendo brand expansion battery upgrade down the road, cuz I can.

Not only is the Wii U over priced, but its full of hidden extra costs. Having to buy external storage, having to upgrade the weak battery sooner rather than later etc

Anyway the point is, Nintendo is lying through their teeth to consumers. This thing is marked up into the stratosphere, they're making probably as much of a profit on each Wii U as they did on each Wii at launch.

I hope the consoles price has dropped dramatically by the time the next Zelda comes (in what, 6 years from now? Took that damn long to get SS. Why did you all buy this at LAUNCH, again?) cuz its way too overpriced right now
---
"Dragon Age 2 was a train wreck the entire game, ME3 was like screaming rollercoaster that ran out of track and everyone died." -nIMr0D888
#27PendragoonPosted 11/22/2012 8:16:17 AM(edited)
Add in the missing parts and you are over $500 easily. (I priced out a very similar build a few weeks ago)

The Wii U also has a few advantages, such as the insanely low power draw (33w in game) and Miiverse (way better than I thought it would be) and the touch screen controller with off screen play (also a lot better than you think it would be)

Give me a PC that can do all of that for under $500.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#28BigReedPosted 11/22/2012 8:18:10 AM
This was one of the least thought out things I've ever seen a human attempt. Basically, you just proved yourself entirely wrong and also showed you aren't really sure how computers work.

That was silly.
---
U.S. Army Airborne Veteran
#29TerotrousPosted 11/22/2012 8:21:26 AM
GAMER_X_REVIVAL posted...
As far as the gamepad, even eurogamer said china is selling legit fully functional andriod TABLET (not knockoff controllers) pcs for $50 USD.

China doesn't follow labour and trade laws. The prices they can build things for and the prices that companies who actually have to follow the law can achieve are very different things.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GEN Alien Soldier"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#30gumbyxcore99Posted 11/22/2012 8:25:59 AM(edited)
by that logic all consoles are overpriced and everyone should just own gaming pcs that don't have an OS apparently

also not everyone has the skills to put together those components and even more people probably dont want an ugly, hulking case in their entertainment center. dont want to navigate an interface that isn't tv friendly. dont want to deal with complicated PC DRM , dont like the game selection and don't have the time to look up how to play emulators or circumvent that DRM.

im not entirely sure that the TC has a brain. actually i'm definitely sure they don't