I want a straight answer, is ZombiU good?

#31Bob_EsrockPosted 11/22/2012 1:59:23 PM
I didn't expect to suddenly jump into a hate storm for DS3 when I clicked on this thread on the main page. Just want to say, comparing Dead Space to RE5 is silly. Dead Space started off as an action horror, while RE5 tried to turn a survival horror series into action. Acting like a game isn't horror simply because it has some action makes no sense. By that definition, most horror movies aren't horror movies.

*flies out window*
---
Lurking since 1999
Am I the only one who tends to read topics as one large self-argumentative post?
#32chaos_sage0265Posted 11/22/2012 2:00:25 PM
jungfreud posted...
I think the level of trolling on this and the ZombiU forum should tell you it is actually a pretty good game, because a good game with some low review scores is like catnip for them.

Eh. Review scores only do so much for the trolls.

Dragon Age 2 had large amounts of trolling, despite having great reviews.

God that was a **** game.
---
"We will be remembered for this. White Wall."
#33ZodrynPosted 11/22/2012 2:00:55 PM
When I think of what a horror game should be, I think of games like Slender or Amnesia. Real horror doesn't depend on jump scenes or disgusting creatures. It is built on anxiety. There should be a constant tension that builds up, and gets worse the longer you don't run into the scary monster.

In that regard, ZombiU does a reasonable job I believe. Looking between the gamepad and TV screen trying to frantically dig through a backpack and hoping you don't get caught with your guard down is pretty intense. Also, the knowledge that you don't get any second chances could easily up your level of paranoia and stress. It may not be the best horror game on the market, but it definitely has some unique and worthwhile aspects.
---
Negatory morning glory
#34LinetrixPosted 11/22/2012 2:01:49 PM
So where exactly did I imply ZombiU was scarier? Please point it out. I beg you. I want to know where I implied that.

Oh, so you didn't. I rest my case.

I only recall pointing out the absurdity of Dead Space being survival horror.

Maybe that's why I said "survival horror like game"?

And lol at implying I haven't beaten Dead Space on hard. I would have bothered with Impossible if it weren't such a **** game.

Well, if you're much happier with Wii Fit, who am I to disagree?

The game has a single player campaign with an AI partner.

Yes, it does have a single player campaign. Thanks.

Again, you will always have a co-op partner by your side

Yes, even in single player campaign.

which essentially removes any aspect of survival horror. See: Resident Evil 5 & 6.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, according to whom? You? The Nintendrone that couldn't even beat Dead Space on impossible because it was too hard without all the ammo and health packs? ROFLMAO!!!
---
It doesn't matter the additional notes say opinions aren't trolling. The Notes are wrong and your opinion is trolling - GameFAQs moderation
#35chaos_sage0265Posted 11/22/2012 2:02:49 PM
Bob_Esrock posted...
I didn't expect to suddenly jump into a hate storm for DS3 when I clicked on this thread on the main page. Just want to say, comparing Dead Space to RE5 is silly. Dead Space started off as an action horror, while RE5 tried to turn a survival horror series into action. Acting like a game isn't horror simply because it has some action makes no sense. By that definition, most horror movies aren't horror movies.

*flies out window*

Comparing the two isn't silly at all. Both of them have completely removed what made them unique entities in this industry for the sake of appealing to a larger fanbase, and have thus become even more like the homogeneous FPS market.

Dead Space is a slightly exaggerated example, as it never truly was survival horror, but it still fits.
---
#36chaos_sage0265Posted 11/22/2012 2:06:15 PM
Linetrix posted...
So where exactly did I imply ZombiU was scarier? Please point it out. I beg you. I want to know where I implied that.

And lol at implying I haven't beaten Dead Space on hard. I would have bothered with Impossible if it weren't such a **** game.

which essentially removes any aspect of survival horror. See: Resident Evil 5 & 6.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, according to whom? You? The Nintendrone that couldn't even beat Dead Space on impossible because it was too hard without all the ammo and health packs? ROFLMAO!!!

You try so hard it actually makes me laugh. I love your strawman arguments though. They are so cute. Maybe one of these days I'll actually buy a Nintendo product so you can try and back up your "Nintendrone" claims.

Go back to 4chan.

Adding "drone" to the end of everything got old after Bioware by the way.
---
#37Logical_OnePosted 11/22/2012 2:07:19 PM
Dead Space (although GREAT) is not true survival-horror IMO. I finished both games with LOADS of AMMO and HEALTH. I would classify it as action-horror--just IMO.

Survival-horror is meant to be: lack of supplies, inability to effectively dispatch foes (due to being an every-man or lack of supplies). Once again--IMO.
---
Gamefaqs....the land where pokemon is the holy grail and final fantasy is God himself--Raptorleon3
#38LinetrixPosted 11/22/2012 2:07:44 PM
chaos_sage0265 posted...
Linetrix posted...

You try so hard it actually makes me laugh. I love your strawman arguments though. They are so cute. Maybe one of these days I'll actually buy a Nintendo product so you can try and back up your "Nintendrone" claims.

Go back to 4chan.

Adding "drone" to the end of everything got old after Bioware by the way.

I accept your defeat.
---
It doesn't matter the additional notes say opinions aren't trolling. The Notes are wrong and your opinion is trolling - GameFAQs moderation
#39overkillwfo1978Posted 11/22/2012 2:08:15 PM
Honest opinion from a Wii U and Zombie U owner:

The atmosphere is awesome. It is a "scary" game.
The Wii U pad functions are pretty cool.
The graphics fit the grim atmosphere of the game fairly well, but up close textures are pretty muddy and washed out. Seeing Ninja Gaiden and CoD, I know the Wii U can do much, much better than this... but it still doesn't affect the game very much....

....Here's what does. The melee in this game is terrible. Absolutely terrible. When you run out of ammo and other thrown weapons.. (which will happen quite a bit) you are forced to use one weapon. A cricket bat. This thing is the bane of Zombi U in my opinion.

Your character is obviously fed a truckload of Zoloft before the campaign starts and can only be bothered to swing this bat once every month or so.. not only that, but it is inconsistent even in that. Choppy animation, erratic movements and an extremely slow swing will leave you cussing at the screen.

I liked everything else about this game and I'm sure hardcore fans will just say that I'm complaining that this game is too hard. I love difficulty. I hate broken gameplay.... and the melee part of ZU is 1 step away from being totally broken. It is too bad, because other than that, I was enjoying the hell out of this game, but sadly, since a major portion of ZU relies on the horrible cricket bat, I will be selling this on Monday.
---
"Everything is bad about the console. It can't play Rugged Stubble Hero 4: Revenge of the guns" -MotiJR on the Wii U
#40Logical_OnePosted 11/22/2012 2:09:13 PM
BTW--I personally AM enjoying ZombiU but I am also playing through Hitman and AC3 on PC. I guarantee that if I wasn't I would be way more invested in ZombiU. It is TRUE survival-horror, however, the melee can be a little bit clunky at times (note LITTLE).
---
Gamefaqs....the land where pokemon is the holy grail and final fantasy is God himself--Raptorleon3