Should I buy a Wii U???

#1EvrayPosted 11/22/2012 2:48:43 PM
So my girlfriend got me a brand new wii about 6 months ago, not realizing I intended to buy a Wii U this coming black Friday. She said it was fine and that I could trade it in and that the wii motes would work with the wii u games so that wasn't a problem.

So gamestop is doing a double store credit for trade ins on consoles and 25% extra when you trade in two or more games.

So, I might just go ahead and trade my wii in along with some games to get a Wii U.

My question is directed at people who already have it. Is it worth it? Would it be better to hang on to my wii for now and buy it after a price drop? Do the wii motes work well with the Wii U? What about Wii console games, is the backwards compatability good?

What do you think about trading my wii in?
---
If the Giants win I'll close my account. Promise. Super Bowl 2012- Erik P 2/5/2012 at 3:31:41 PM. Account Status, Active.
#2kamikaze135Posted 11/22/2012 2:57:10 PM
Even with the 25% boost, you're still getting ripped off at Gamestop.
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden
#3LinetrixPosted 11/22/2012 2:58:34 PM
I'd wait until all the defective units are sold. Wait for the second wave of Wii Us. They MIGHT be released without all the glitches.
---
It doesn't matter the additional notes say opinions aren't trolling. The Notes are wrong and your opinion is trolling - GameFAQs moderation
#4Squished_MarioPosted 11/22/2012 2:59:16 PM
I personally would hold off. There are a lot of issues with Wii U right now. I would wait a little later until the kinks are worked out. This is not trying to be negative about Wii U, it just needs more time and development. Just trying to save you the trouble I've gone through thus far.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500430

This talks more about it.
---
Part of the Viewmaster_pi's Caln Magna cum laude
PSN: VexSilver
#5Evray(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2012 3:12:08 PM
kamikaze135 posted...
Even with the 25% boost, you're still getting ripped off at Gamestop.

The bonus is double. Not 25%

So if they normally give $50 bucks for a wii I'd be getting $100. I don't know if they include the power up rewards which is another 10%.
---
If the Giants win I'll close my account. Promise. Super Bowl 2012- Erik P 2/5/2012 at 3:31:41 PM. Account Status, Active.
#6TalicusPosted 11/22/2012 3:21:34 PM(edited)
Isn't it kind of rude to trade in a gift that your girlfriend gave you just 6 months ago? I might be oversensitive about these things but I wouldn't do those things. Just enjoy (or pretend to enjoy) the gift your girlfriend gave you and stop thinking about buying the newest console immediately.

If I'd give something expensive to my girlfriend and 6 months later she'd trade it in for like $20 store credit I'd say I wouldn't mind, but in reality I'd be pretty pissed.

Edit: There's no way you'll be getting $100 for the console. I'm not even sure if they accept Wii's without remotes and if they do you'll be getting no more than $10 for it (normal trade in, I'm not familiar with special trade in deals). With remote you might be able to get $20-$25 for it normally but not much more than that.
---
Please excuse me for my poor English.
Thank you.
#7Evray(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2012 3:24:35 PM
Talicus posted...
Isn't it kind of rude to trade in a gift that your girlfriend gave you just 6 months ago? I might be oversensitive about these things but I wouldn't do those things. Just enjoy (or pretend to enjoy) the gift your girlfriend gave you and stop thinking about buying the newest console immediately.

If I'd give something expensive to my girlfriend and 6 months later she'd trade it in for like $20 store credit I'd say I wouldn't mind, but in reality I'd be pretty pissed.

Edit: There's no way you'll be getting $100 for the console. I'm not even sure if they accept Wii's without remotes and if they do you'll be getting no more than $10 for it (normal trade in, I'm not familiar with special trade in deals). With remote you might be able to get $20-$25 for it normally but not much more than that.

She is entirely aware of the situations and doesn't care. The girlfriend part is not an issue. I posted this somewhere else and someone said "well if you two break up she'd get the wii u since she bought the wii you used to trade it in."

We live together, have a child and are getting married. Even if we broke up it was a christmas gift to me she wouldn't take it back.
---
#8T3H_1337_N1NJ4Posted 11/22/2012 3:26:07 PM
The console is just fine. If you like the games out for it get it. If not don't.
---
To err is human, but to really screw things up you need a computer!
IGN: CodenameFox
#9TalicusPosted 11/22/2012 3:29:01 PM
Evray posted...
Talicus posted...

She is entirely aware of the situations and doesn't care. The girlfriend part is not an issue. I posted this somewhere else and someone said "well if you two break up she'd get the wii u since she bought the wii you used to trade it in."

We live together, have a child and are getting married. Even if we broke up it was a christmas gift to me she wouldn't take it back.

I'm just saying that it could be rude, not that it could ruin an entire relationship. But considering you're acting all defense I probably said something that was very sensitive to you so I'll drop the issue.
Regardless, if you buy a Wii U do so after you enjoyed your Wii and when you don't need to rely on trade-ins. It will give you more time to find and enjoy the good Wii games out there.
---
Please excuse me for my poor English.
Thank you.
#10Evray(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2012 3:34:45 PM
Talicus posted...
Evray posted...
Talicus posted...

I'm just saying that it could be rude, not that it could ruin an entire relationship. But considering you're acting all defense I probably said something that was very sensitive to you so I'll drop the issue.
Regardless, if you buy a Wii U do so after you enjoyed your Wii and when you don't need to rely on trade-ins. It will give you more time to find and enjoy the good Wii games out there.

I'm just trying to keep the point on topic. I know its a social message board but there is really no issue with the girlfriend on the matter. After she bought it she told me specifically I could play it for now and then trade it in when the WII U came out, she had the idea in mind when she bought the WII for me in the first place. I'd just rather avoid having to explain the point of my girlfriend and get more info on if people think I should bother getting a WII U now or waiting, not if or if not my girlfriend will be upset.

It would of just been simpler if I said "I bought a wii." but too late for that lol. Point is that its a non-issue and I'm more concerned about if or if not I should take this deal on Friday before its too late.

I'm going to call them and find out exactly how much store credit I'll be getting for the trade in and if its not a decent amount I wont waste my time but between the double console deal and the rewards card it might be a worthy amount.

I'm more so wondering that if I end up trading it in that if I don't end up getting a WII U in the future that I'll be missing out on the games I haven't beaten on it yet, as well as the fact that if I was going to just stop having a Nintendo system (which I don't really wanna do.. gotta have my smash and zelda) then I'd trade in my WII games for the 25% bonus as well.
---