Graphics give a better game experience. Care to disagree?

#1TangoBunnyPosted 11/22/2012 7:47:39 PM
Let's take some games that are roughly the same...

- An Outrun LCD game
- Outrun on the Sega Master System
- The arcade version of Outrun
- Outrun 2006 in the arcade or XBLA.

They all involve the same basic gameplay... turning corners, High/Low gears, and avoiding oncoming cars.

For the sake of example, let's pretend that all of those games have the same feature set: The LCD game lets you steer freely, instead of just being confined to switching lanes, and Outrun 2006 doesn't have the heart attack mode or focus on drifting. They all perform, gameplay-wise, the same.

Which is more fun and exciting and thrilling to play?
Here's a hint: Outrun 2006 is a rollercoaster ride of thrilling environments, long draw distances, plenty of scenery, all at high-speeds and at 60fps. The LCD game, despite being roughly the same gameplay, is pretty darned boring and uninteresting, what with it's monochrome prefab shapes and dull visual setting.

Care to disagree? I've seen so many people say that 'graphics don't matter' that I'd be interested in hearing them counter this.

For a more controversial comparison, imagine if Ubisoft made a seperate Zombi game for the new Sony/Microsoft consoles, that played roughly the same as the Wii U version, but took full advantage of the 2014 hardware to make a much more detailed environment and intense scary atmosphere. Would it still not matter when the WiiU has the lesser version, and would the the WiiU Zombi game still be 'just as good'?
#2Xeeh_BitzPosted 11/22/2012 7:50:37 PM
This is going to be good
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#3PG50Posted 11/22/2012 7:57:55 PM(edited)
Anyone who says graphics don't matter is silly. Graphics are less important than other things though. In my opinion, Gameplay, Sound/Music, Framerate, and controls all come before graphics. And depending on the type of game, story also.

I don't really care if the Wii U is weaker, or even much weaker than it's competition. I play Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games, and any exclusives it gets. I also don't care if someone states a fact. However, many people have a problem with being a humongous jackass while stating it, or even twisting the truth so they can imply other things.
#4StraightedgeSESPosted 11/22/2012 7:56:29 PM
It depends on the game.
#5Pkshootout13Posted 11/22/2012 7:59:15 PM
I think it depends more on the specific game. I haven't played either game you've described but I'd assume they would be better with better graphics. But i will say i enjoyed Zelda a link to the past (snes) and Zelda oracle of seasons (gbc) more than any other Zelda game. I enjoyed super punch out (snes) WAAAAAAY more than punch out (wii). And the list goes on. But there are also games that i enjoyed better with better graphics. Smash bros to ssbm as an example. Graphics give a better game experience to certain games, but not to all.
#6PG50Posted 11/22/2012 8:02:55 PM
Pkshootout13 posted...
I think it depends more on the specific game. I haven't played either game you've described but I'd assume they would be better with better graphics. But i will say i enjoyed Zelda a link to the past (snes) and Zelda oracle of seasons (gbc) more than any other Zelda game. I enjoyed super punch out (snes) WAAAAAAY more than punch out (wii). And the list goes on. But there are also games that i enjoyed better with better graphics. Smash bros to ssbm as an example. Graphics give a better game experience to certain games, but not to all.

What if the game is literally exactly the same except for a Better Resolution, or better effects?
#7bratt100Posted 11/22/2012 8:03:28 PM
StraightedgeSES posted...
It depends on the game.

^this

There are many times when simple graphics are the best option for a game, Windwaker being a prime example. technically it isnt doing anything special but I ask you to find one game from that gen that looks better then that.
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.
#8Pkshootout13Posted 11/22/2012 8:08:27 PM
PG50 posted...
Pkshootout13 posted...

What if the game is literally exactly the same except for a Better Resolution, or better effects?

Probably better graphics then. I'll say this as an example. Super Mario world for the snes vs the same exact game with better resolution (just a neater Game, NOT making Mario look like he pops out because i hate that) then i would choose the better resolution, but only if the price wasn't outrageously different. I'd be happy with the snes version though. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me but i agree the higher resolution would be better IF it were the same exact Game. Sorry for the wall of text, I'm just trying to explain myself and having a hard time putting together the words lol
#9wolverinerob79Posted 11/22/2012 8:10:23 PM
Out of all wii titles, I think i enjoyed the new super mario bros the best. Honestly, the game is basically 2-D but it's the most fun for me. I'm basically buying the wii u at this point for the next game in the series. The PS3 has awesome graphics...and I've bought...LBP and LBP2 for it...that's it (I bought it for Blu-Ray...yes, ironic that I enjoy splendid graphics in my movies)...most of LBP is basically 2-D with a tiny bit of depth.

Graphics does not equate with a better game or having more fun. You know what one of the most popular games is now? Angry Birds. A 2-d game with cartoon graphics.
#10TangoBunny(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2012 8:12:20 PM
bratt100 posted...
StraightedgeSES posted...
It depends on the game.

^this

There are many times when simple graphics are the best option for a game, Windwaker being a prime example. technically it isnt doing anything special but I ask you to find one game from that gen that looks better then that.

When it comes to stylised games that have already achieved the style they were aiming for, it's hard to compare. A Wind Waker remake with better ambient lighting in dungeons, and a higher resolution for smoother and softer stylised curves, would be slightly better perhaps... but not by much.

That's why the 2D Zelda games are hard to compare too, as the Zelda 2D style is pretty much at its peak... but, if there was a SNES version of Oracle of Ages/Seasons, with more colourful and solid graphics, I'd probably prefer the SNES versions of the Oracle games to the GBC versions, and perhaps find them more engaging to explore the environments. Again, it's hard to compare, because there would be very little difference in these kinds of stylised games. (Tetris is another one, where the GB version looks visually better than most remakes, because of how solid and clear it looks.)

But, when it comes to games that look better than Wind Waker in its generation, it's completely a personal preference, but I think the Resident Evil Remake on GC looks pretty impressive. And although that remake had retooled gameplay, it sure is more exciting and fun to explore than the PS1 original, purely for its improved graphics.