do you need internet access to initially turn on the wii u?

#1Holy_OblivionPosted 11/22/2012 8:23:10 PM
I keep hearing about the update the wii u has to do the first time you start it. What it you don't have wifi?
---
I'm straight edge. That means I'm better than you.
#2LUlGIPosted 11/22/2012 8:23:36 PM
Then all you do is play Wii U games
#3Aaron44126Posted 11/22/2012 8:30:39 PM
You can play without the update. For online features and for Wii backwards compatibility you will need to download the update. (Of course online features aren't much use without the Internet anyway. :-P)
#4leeko_linkPosted 11/22/2012 9:49:37 PM
Nope, you can just insert a game and it will load from the menu. If you want to use any digital stuff, you must update it via the internet. If you don't have internet, then just play games like it's the 90s and you'll be okay.
#5HykCraftPosted 11/22/2012 9:53:28 PM
Yes... you must have your console connected to the interwebs before you can actually turn on your console.. the internet has to put some stuff in the interweb hole of your Wii U before it can be powered on.
#6BreakerPosted 11/22/2012 10:16:42 PM
aaronkelley posted...
You can play without the update. For online features and for Wii backwards compatibility you will need to download the update. (Of course online features aren't much use without the Internet anyway. :-P)

You don't need to update for Wii backwards compatibility.
---
This is the way the world ends.
#7BensMercedesPosted 11/22/2012 10:19:01 PM
You don't need the internet to initially power it on. I know this because my router is broken, I so currently my PS3 and laptop are connected with a wire and I don't have a LAN adapter that I didn't know I would need so it's running without internet right now.
#8RE4_FanPosted 11/22/2012 10:37:00 PM
Breaker posted...
aaronkelley posted...

You don't need to update for Wii backwards compatibility.

Yes you do, Wii backwards compatibility is part of the day one update =)

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/17/psa-day-one-patch-wii-u/

The update includes, from what we've seen thus far, the entire eShop, Miiverse, an internet browser, and access to Netflix. Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, and YouTube remain conspicuously absent, but should be available "in the coming weeks" (per Nintendo's update earlier this week). Backwards compatibility is also packed in the update, in form of the entire original Wii menu (which makes us feel like we just downloaded the entire Wii console to our Wii U -- the future!). The Wii U actually fully resets to launch the Wii menu, and can only be navigated using a classic Wii remote control. Kinda bogus, but it sure is nice having a full Wii built in to the Wii U.
#9BreakerPosted 11/22/2012 10:39:15 PM
I've never been online with my Wii U. My system plays Wii games just fine. I don't know why some sites are reporting this but all I can tell you is it works for me.
---
This is the way the world ends.
#10LordBowserPosted 11/22/2012 11:06:13 PM
Buy a USB adaptor for wired connection. Be warned that it isn't perfect. I gave mine away the day I got wifi, and the adaptor isn't even cheap (25-30 dollars last I checked).

You can play Wii U and Wii games without it, it's not required or anything, but I do recommend it. You could always look into getting wifi anyways, as wifi is pretty nice.
---
I am Lord Bowser, King of the Koopas! Bwahaha..
Playing Bowser on Mario Kart, and Noxus on Metroid Prime. I am not a cookie cutter!