PlayStation All-Stars has kind of killed any enthusiasm I have in the Wii U

#1ChevelIePosted 11/23/2012 11:26:10 AM
I have never been crazy about Mario or Zelda, I love Pokemon still to this day but the only ever Nintendo series I absolutely am a fan of is Smash Bros. Little to say, I was beyond hyped when a new Smash Bros was announced especially when I thought Brawl would really be the last one and it was definitely my biggest reason to want a Wii U.

Then PlayStation All-Stars was announced and I thought "Cool its just PlayStation Smash Bros. so it should be fun", but as more details were released it turns out there were quite a few differences, namely Super only kills. That almost turned me of completely to the game, but this gaming year has had few games I wanted so PSASBR was the most appealing game to me and I gave it a try. Im glad I did and its one of the best buys I ever made.

It's addicting fun and the characters have so many depths and moves that it makes using each of them feel so different and refreshing each time you choose another character. I was playing Brawl for years but this truly feels like a step above it, it's way more thrilling and a game you can really submerge yourself n playing, SuperBot may be fighting game fans and were huge in the EVO scene before joining the dev studio, but they stumbled ass backwards into the genius of super only kills. 1 vs. 1 matches are like a different game with how fast paced they are and you are on the edge of your seat dodging and trying to land supers. The other fun is typical Smash styled matches with four players and it's so damn rewarding taking out your three opponents with a single level 1 super. Online is just great with that.

It's just amazing but it left me with a huge problem, should I even get a Wii U when I like PlayStation All-Stars better than Smash Bros.? Sakurai has stated he would keep the game simple and slow like Brawl for the children who want to get into it. I just have little to no reason now to get a Wii U just for that and *hopefully* a Pokemon Stadium styled game for Wii U. It would just feel like a downgrade trying to get into Smash Bros 4 after PlayStation All-Stars
---
Open fire
#2FoppePosted 11/23/2012 11:29:00 AM
Keep playing All-Stars and wait for Smash U to be released.
Then read the reviews and if you feel that it may be something you want, get a Wii U.
Otherwise don't.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#3_Shikoba_Posted 11/23/2012 11:29:04 AM
Playstation All-Stars is a joke.
Of course, I have zero interest in Smash Bros as well.

If you were going to buy a Wii U based on one game you shouldn't have considered it to begin with.
---
Nintendo Network: Shikoba
3DS: 3909-7542-9022
#4IcecreamdunwichPosted 11/23/2012 11:29:08 AM
Yeah, that's because Playstation All-Stars is more of a party game made with fighting fans in mind, whereas Smash Bros is a fighting game made with party game fans in mind. There is just much more "depth" to All Stars.
#5TerotrousPosted 11/23/2012 11:29:37 AM
To be honest, 1v1 in PSAS blows. Many characters cannot reliably land their level 1s and level 2s against a competent single opponent and having to save for level 3 puts you at an insane disadvantage. There's a reason there's no 1v1 ranked mode, it's because it's not balanced and most of the tradeoffs inherent in the game are irrelevant with only a single opponent.

However, the super system does turn FFA into a viable mode, since it eliminates all poaching. This means that PSAS is a much better 4-player game than Smash. The fact that they have different strengths gives room for both to exist.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GEN Alien Soldier"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#6MidiaNitePosted 11/23/2012 11:31:08 AM
I personally haven't played PlayStation All-Stars yet, but the game does look appealing. I'll probably buy it around December personally.

I wouldn't quickly write of the Wii U/3DS rendition of Smash Bros. though. After all, we hardly know anything about it besides few tidbit details on its development.
---
Currently playing: Resident Evil 6: Transformed
#7Joehop007Posted 11/23/2012 11:35:27 AM
Playstation All-Stars is a really good Smash Bros. for Sony, but it does not come even close to be better then any of the Nintendo Smash Bros. games.
---
My Game of the Year: Xenoblade Chronicles
"Broke my pipe on some fatass" - RPG_Apostle
#8IcecreamdunwichPosted 11/23/2012 11:36:44 AM
Playstation All-Stars is a really good Smash Bros. for Sony, but it does not come even close to be better then any of the Nintendo Smash Bros. games.

Because they aren't even close to being the same type of game. The only similarity being that it's a mascot fighter...
#9AkagehisaPosted 11/23/2012 11:46:28 AM
I'm in the same boat as you TC,,, Ive been wanting to play a brawl game for a couple of years,,, I didn't had a Wii, so i'm happy with sonys take on the genre,,,,,

Like you said,, it's like smash bros but with sony characters,, it should be fun.

I will not buy it until january though, I want to start playing it with Kat.

About the WiiU,,, I'll wait until MH comes out in march to buy it.
#10nonexistingheroPosted 11/23/2012 11:46:38 AM
They have a lot more similarities. The main differences are that they use a different KO system and that PASBR is more combo-centric. I think the biggest mistake they made is to look too much to Smash as an example and trying too hard to make something different of it... which kinda resulted in a rather bad KO system, IMO.

Also, lack of modes and variation.

It's not a bad attempt, but I don't think it's as good as any SSB game. And most of the characters just aren't as charming. Some are, but most aren't.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.