Why I can't justify the purchase of a Wii U ATM (Leave your fanboy at the door)

#61mogwaimonPosted 11/23/2012 12:25:11 PM
Luthor_ posted...

None of my friends are "gamers". But that's besides the point. Any post that isn't asking for help or opinions on a message board is 100% useless using your own logic.

This is true, admittedly, but I'm also not a social person. I have quite a limited view of the uses for a message board and unless I'm really really bored or need help with something, I generally don't post. Which is why I've been signed up to GameFAQs for six years (Was a 'lurker' before that' and have probably less than 100 total posts.

Either way, if you don't feel like buying the Wii U, don't buy it. Simple as that. If you wanted to avoid confrontation you would have avoided posting your rationale as to why you didn't want to purchase it on a message board that is currently plagued by a volatile mix of trolls and diehard Nintendo fans at the moment (Discounting all the middle-ground people who are neither trolls nor Nintendo White Knights, of course). But I do appreciate that you at least took the time to explain why rather than a simple 'Because it sucks'
#62ColorfulColorsPosted 11/23/2012 12:25:57 PM
Are the trolls gone yet? What? Troll stating how greedy Nintendo is and saying the console sucks? M'kay back to the PS3 boards then.
---
sonic777 desperate to make me mad.
Once the Atari Puma comes out, every console is doomed. ~SuperShyGuy9000
#630NotoriousLynx0Posted 11/23/2012 12:26:18 PM
I think you need to start thinking about college and not about this stupid crap.
#64koolguy5Posted 11/23/2012 12:26:42 PM
seems reasonable as i can relate
---
Mario rules.Period.FTLulz
#65dominatinggamerPosted 11/23/2012 12:28:02 PM
I was *this close* to selling my preorder but decided against it. I can tell you why I am keeping it:

1) tablet controller: the possibilities are amazing and I've only played Nintendo Land with it so far

2) internet browser on tablet: my GF can watch tv and I can play around on the internet on the controller - quickly switch the tv input via the controller - and show her pictures of puppies and kittens (just an example, but that did happen lol)

3) wii backwards compatibility: as previously stated I have only played one wiiU game (Nintendo Land) and otherwise I've played Monster Hunter Tri (a wii game). I have a crap ton of games from wii I can play and buy them at bottom of the barrel prices

4) media streaming device: have netflix/hulu plus/amazon instead? You can stream them through the wiiU

5) wiitvii: its not here yet but I'm excited for it to launch

6) miiverse: its pretty cool to instantly see peoples questions/thoughts/complaints about the WiiU and specific games. Has a lot of potential.

7) nintendo exclusives: notice I put this far on the list because there isn't much pickings at this time but we know they are coming (zelda, metroid, megaman?, pikmin, etc)

8) ultimate party gaming system - i havent done any gaming parties myself but this definitely has the ability to be a central focus to "game nights" and the like. It has the casual games that my GF and her friends would play, and the more "hardcore" games that I can dig into.

I had a xbox360 and never used it so I sold it to buy this. The exclusives were meh to me and I found myself buying those games on the PC anyways or skipping them entirely. We do still have a PS3 but only use it for playing DVD/Blu-Rays. WiiU has reinvigorated my consoling gaming.
---
With friends like you, who needs enemies?
#66Xeeh_BitzPosted 11/23/2012 12:28:16 PM
MINION9009 posted...
Did your buy your PS3 when it was 600 dollars or your 360 when it was 400 when they just came out before a bunch of price drops?

Difference, those were next generation systems and actually offered improved graphics over the previous generation, the WII-U is basically the same generation as the 360/PS3 with no difference in the multiplat games and with 2 exclusive games that's rehashed so many times.
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#67GoombaXPosted 11/23/2012 12:28:24 PM
first of all the console does sell at a loss so no its not overpriced and you would be stupid to think so. specially if you bought a launch day 360 or ps3.
as far as games go its all preference, but lemme say that NSMBU is one of the better mario games ever.
---
Pro tip : Thats not how I would do it
#68_LordAndSaviorPosted 11/23/2012 12:28:53 PM
Foppe posted...
If you can't justify buying a Wii U, then you shouldn't buy one.
It is that simple.
Maybe it will have enough games in the future that will justify a buy from you, maybe not, only the future can tell that.

I think this is the most well rounded post I've ever read on the WiiU board.
---
Will not change this sig, until Carlito is a World Champion! 7/10/11 (Unofficial Date: 6/11/05)
R.I.P Shauwk, Gone but Never Forgotten. You will be missed.
#69guttertalkPosted 11/23/2012 12:33:59 PM
Luthor, I think your reasons are understandable because they apply to practically every new console or handheld. It's why I held off on the Wii and 360 until the games justified the expense. I'm holding off on the Wii U for different reasons, but as I hear the death rattle of my third 360, I'm considering it. Most of the reported problems aren't quite enough to dismiss the WiiU, but I'm watching for how quickly Nintendo responds. (I remember MS denying the RROD reports before being forced to respond.)

So, it is reasonable to be hesitant about purchasing consoles at release.
#70Luthor_(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2012 12:38:50 PM
first of all the console does sell at a loss so no its not overpriced and you would be stupid to think so. specially if you bought a launch day 360 or ps3.
as far as games go its all preference, but lemme say that NSMBU is one of the better mario games ever.

I think it's 100% plausible that the Wii U is sold at about what it costs to make if not a little more or less.

How this makes me stupid considering all of the proof that justifies it is beyond me.
Luthor, I think your reasons are understandable because they apply to practically every new console or handheld. It's why I held off on the Wii and 360 until the games justified the expense. I'm holding off on the Wii U for different reasons, but as I hear the death rattle of my third 360, I'm considering it. Most of the reported problems aren't quite enough to dismiss the WiiU, but I'm watching for how quickly Nintendo responds. (I remember MS denying the RROD reports before being forced to respond.)

So, it is reasonable to be hesitant about purchasing consoles at release.

Yea. I still would have rather bought a PS360 at launch (before knowing about the failure rate) because the multiplats were very different and the graphical possibilities were rather jaw dropping.
---
Dante Stormblade