Why is everyone so concerned with graphics?

#1kiKnYOnutzPosted 11/23/2012 12:44:24 PM
Seriously, graphics in a way are irrelevant. Gaming seems to have taken the " rinse and repeat" approach. Very few games now seem to have something new about the gameplay, and far less are successful. Maybe it's because Ive been gaming for 20 years but I would think more of us would enjoy the change of scenery and switch it up. Nintendo may re-use Mario/Zelda/Meteroid stories over and over but for the most part they really do offer more game play every time a new one is released. Grow up kids, someday youll see that your trophy wife gets pretty old to look at after a while.
---
** picking up your fathers slack in the bedroom**
#2ElectricMolePosted 11/23/2012 12:45:47 PM
Wii u has great graphics. It's slow processing that's on everyones concern, not the gpu.
---
http://youtu.be/NB9ea_xWexM
Let's Get to the Top!
#3kiKnYOnutz(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2012 12:51:38 PM
I guess people will always find faults in things. Give it time. Even Gabe (Steam) at one point said the PS3 wasn't a workable platform, now they are making games like Portal 2 that are better than the 360 counterpart. Sounds like lazy dev. teams to me. Like Steam, they worked the PS3 and made it happen. Systems will always have limitations, its what you make of it.
---
** picking up your fathers slack in the bedroom**
#4Emerald_MeliosPosted 11/25/2012 4:10:40 PM
I don't even know what people expect at this point really.
#5trenkenPosted 11/25/2012 4:14:12 PM
kiKnYOnutz posted...
Seriously, graphics in a way are irrelevant. Gaming seems to have taken the " rinse and repeat" approach. Very few games now seem to have something new about the gameplay, and far less are successful. Maybe it's because Ive been gaming for 20 years but I would think more of us would enjoy the change of scenery and switch it up. Nintendo may re-use Mario/Zelda/Meteroid stories over and over but for the most part they really do offer more game play every time a new one is released. Grow up kids, someday youll see that your trophy wife gets pretty old to look at after a while.

If they were irrelevant we would still be playing 8bit games and everyone would be happy with that, but they arent. Progression in visual quality is critical to keep people excited about the future, and people in general love visual stimulation and there is still so much room for improvement, there always will be.

As soon as a console comes out that isnt as powerful as people thought it would be, the fans make excuses that graphics arent important. But we all know damn well if this thing was a beast of a machine everyone would be bragging about it. How convenient.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#6cutegamebabePosted 11/25/2012 4:49:49 PM
People are concerned with graphics because it is the most obvious advancement in video gaming and it plays a huge role in immersion. I play many games that are quite old, but there's no way that I'll ever claim to be as immersed in an Atari 2600 as I would be when playing something like Heavy Rain or Skyrim.

Graphics don't guarantee a better experience, but they help you get there.
---
www.jefunhouse.com
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/je-funhouse-we-are-what-you-play
#7bigboybluPosted 11/25/2012 4:59:41 PM
"As soon as a console comes out that isnt as powerful as people thought it would be, the fans make excuses that graphics arent important. But we all know damn well if this thing was a beast of a machine everyone would be bragging about it. How convenient."

You say everyone, but really mean everyone on gamefaqs. Normal people with lives, and don't spend every waking minute on a website wouldn't complain or brag. I just play games no matter what system they are on, and I am happy. yay for me for having fun while everyone on here gripes about everything. :)
---
Carl can't believe how much I make at swap meets.
#8NotCeoPosted 11/25/2012 5:04:50 PM
3 reasons:
1) graphics do improve the experience of playing a game.
2) if a system can't keep up with the competition (was the case with the Wii and PS360), it won't get multiform titles.
3) Graphics do effect gameplay and game design. Even if things like how far you can see aren't necessarily GPU intensive, they typically fall under the category of graphics.
#9Emerald_MeliosPosted 11/28/2012 4:58:35 PM(edited)
cutegamebabe posted...
People are concerned with graphics because it is the most obvious advancement in video gaming and it plays a huge role in immersion. I play many games that are quite old, but there's no way that I'll ever claim to be as immersed in an Atari 2600 as I would be when playing something like Heavy Rain or Skyrim.

Graphics don't guarantee a better experience, but they help you get there.

But what exactly do they expect from Wii U's graphics that will satisfy them?
#10xLexLuth0rxPosted 11/28/2012 5:05:34 PM
People try to find the weakest link in the system and claim it will be the system's demise. It keeps the boards interesting so I just sit back and watch the fun unfold.

You'd think that people who have loved Nintendo over the years would know what to and NOT to expect from a new system. The fun is always there, and graphics are only a minor part of it.
---
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist..."
NNID - LexLuthor (Add me)