Why is everyone so concerned with graphics?

#11STN79Posted 11/28/2012 5:12:45 PM
I honestly wouldn't care if graphics stayed as they are now. Anything better than this would get way too expensive and you might as well just buy a new PC. Especially if power is your main concern. All three current systems are in HD now so what more do you need? Let me know when Virtual reality hits and then maybe I'll care.
#12AstralFrostPosted 11/28/2012 5:18:59 PM
Wii generation: graphics don't matter at all and the Wii is still superior.

Wii U generation: Wii U has the best graphics and that makes Wii U superior.
#13NintendologicalPosted 11/28/2012 5:28:32 PM
Because graphics can help immerse you in the game world.

I present Exhibit A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td5F3I54K0Q

Plenty of pop as the midground pops onto view. The sky is one static bit map. No dynamic shadpws or lighting. Jaggies everywhere. Textures are low res and muddy, creating walls of color instead of competent depictions of mountains, rocks, trees and grass. There are a limited number of on screen objects, the crash physics are complete crap.

Exhibit B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S81IuC_YEhU

Virtually empty environment. Blocky humanoid figure instead of genuinely human looking character. Bland, flat textures that fail to establish the environment, limited draw distance etc.

The problem isn't that people want hyper real graphics, as much as people expect hardware that won't be easily capped as technology progresses. It is a hindrance to art production. Visuals can be stylized, or not cutting edge, but when that is the result of technical limitations and not artiatic choice, it blows. No one would be satisified woth the geaphics from the second video, even if the game were amazingly well designed. Graphics do matter.
---
Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#14STN79Posted 11/28/2012 5:29:59 PM
I know alot of Snes games that are better than anything on current consoles.
Guess you had to be there to know what I'm talking about.
#15SkriblZzPosted 11/28/2012 5:30:55 PM
HD and constant 60 FPS. That's all I care about.
---
PSN: Skribz666 | Xbox Live: SkriblZz | Nintendo Network: SkriblZz
#16darealest47Posted 11/28/2012 5:32:48 PM
Didn't know people are concern with the wii u's graphics considering that it just came out. It already looks good compared to the ps3 and 360 and remember when the 360 came out back in 2005 its graphics wasn't that good now look at them. Give Nintendo time and soon the wii u shall be the greatest nintendo console since n64.
---
won't change this sig until pittsburgh steelers gets their 7th ring
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2eVPxvaIzec
#17Shorik12Posted 11/28/2012 6:09:10 PM
I'm sick of people assuming that good graphics means that the gameplay sucks, so they praise Nintendo for playing it safe and not pushing graphics. It is perfectly possible to have both. Someone said that Mario games never need good graphics. I replied wouldn't it be great to play a Mario game that looked as good as a Pixar movie and still had the great gameplay?

Now, for some reason, people think that if a Mario game looks too good that the gameplay will suck and so they're perfectly happy with the way Nintendo plays it safe and never releases a console these days that really pushes the envelope for graphics compared to their competition.

The Wii U is comparable to the PS3 and Xbox 360, but this thing came out in 2012. The games should already be looking significantly better than these 2006 relics. Sure, a console is never pushed to its full potential when it first comes out, but even when comparing late gen games to launch titles for most previous consoles, there is a big difference. Launch titles for the PS2 looked better than late gen PS1 games and the same with Xbox to 360 launch games.

The cutscenes in Ratchet and Clank games are getting close to Pixar quality. The gameplay doesn't suffer because of it. It is a shame that I'll never get to play a Mario game that looks as good as a Pixar movie because Nintendo is too afraid to go all out like their competitors on hardware power.