ZombiU is my favorite game on the system so far

#11Phange 2(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2012 5:56:17 PM
iloveheavyrain posted...
I agree. ZU is the sleeper hit. Don't listen to the ridiculous low reviews. Yes, one is entitled to their opinion. However, 4.5, or "poor", sounds like an "I am angry and the game is too hard" for me type of score.

I think it's mostly due to the reviewer either not understanding, or not appreciating, some of the game's deliberate clunkiness. In particular, he hated the cricket bat. But the entire point of the cricket bat is that it's obtuse, weak, slow, and simultaneously near-worthless yet your first (and often last) line against zombies. You're virtually forced to use it against single zombies in order to conserve ammo for harder ones / larger numbers, yet the deliberately slow pacing makes even single zombies a threat if you're not skilled with the timing mechanics or approach zombies too aggressively. It's very similar in terms of precision to the Souls series, which is to say that wild reactions are punished severely, even by "weak" enemies.

His entire review was predicated on the clunkiness and necessity of the cricket bat, but he seemingly missed the point of the bat - to make the world that much more dire, your character that much more helpless, and the tension that much more frantic.
---
Bacon.
Playstation Network: Phange
#12helzefeldPosted 11/23/2012 6:00:33 PM
Phange 2 posted...
I love the feeling of getting to a new are,a, stopping, scanning, and convincing yourself to keep going. It's oddly creepy and insular.

So much this... it's like "Am I really ready to continue ahead?"

I've had a few times now 2am all curtains drawn and my headphones on plugged into the WiiU gamepad (you can set the sound to gamepad only through headphones in options.) and I've jumped so high off my couch haha.

This is truly a great experience!
---
Now playing: ZombiU | Wii U Deluxe rules!
Currently waiting most for: Dragon Quest X - Wii U!
#13Phange 2(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2012 6:02:41 PM
It's interesting to see just how amazingly polarized the reviews are. There are virtually two discrete camps - the reviewers who can't accept the game's plodding, deliberately clunky pacing (IGN, GameSpot, EGM, GameInformer) and the reviewers who paradoxically praise it for the very same qualities (GiantBomb, Edge, Eurogamer, Joystiq). Ironically, it's the reviewers who are notoriously critical (GiantBomb, Edge) who actually give ZombiU a higher score, while it's the ones known for inflating reviews (IGN, EGM, GI, Gamespot) who gave it lower scores.

What that tells me is that "hardcore" gamers would love ZombiU, while more casual or less tolerant gamers may dislike it or even flat-out hate it.
---
Bacon.
#14BufkusPosted 11/23/2012 6:06:47 PM
roos1046 Reborn posted...
your other 3 games are average ports and crap that isn't a real game
this shouldn't be a surprise

What's not a surprise is your inability to know what constitutes crap and a real game. It is downright pathetic that you chose to make a worthless reply like this without even thinking for five seconds about the content of what you were writing.
#15Phange 2(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2012 6:08:20 PM
Black Ops 2 and AC3 hardly constitute "ports" since neither are a month old even on other consoles - and Black Ops 2 Wii U launched the same week as the other versions.
---
Bacon.
#16TheNeoVoidPosted 11/23/2012 6:15:51 PM(edited)
Phange 2 posted...
Black Ops 2 and AC3 hardly constitute "ports" since neither are a month old even on other consoles - and Black Ops 2 Wii U launched the same week as the other versions.

Their still ports since their development/programming was based around the 360 architecture.
---
Official Jirachi of the B/W 2 Boards
White FC: 1292 2918 6719
#17mhunterchumpPosted 11/23/2012 6:20:43 PM
ZombieU is a great game for sure.
---
PSN/Xbox: mhunterchump Wii U: mhunterARK
twitter.com/MhunterCHUMP youtube.com/mhunterchump
#18MisterSmeePosted 11/23/2012 8:24:59 PM
What's with the constant zombiU praise? It's a bad game, let it go.
#19roos1046 RebornPosted 11/24/2012 8:53:00 AM
roos1046 Reborn posted...
your other 3 games are average ports and crap that isn't a real game
this shouldn't be a surprise

What's not a surprise is your inability to know what constitutes crap and a real game. It is downright pathetic that you chose to make a worthless reply like this without even thinking for five seconds about the content of what you were writing.

LMAO
wipe the tears from your face and take a deep breath
---
When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself.
#20sloth927Posted 11/24/2012 8:55:28 AM
i like it that and nsmbu have been getting most of my time and nintendoland when i have friends over.
---
I'm a rocker through and through. Here's a list of my favorite bands: AC/DC, Van Halen not Van Hagar, Skynyrd, Def Leppard...