Would Nintendo be better served by going the Sega route?

#1genlockPosted 11/23/2012 5:29:10 PM
I love all good video games across all platforms. The most important aspects I value are innovation, aesthetic, and immersion. That is to say, I don't have any allegiance whatsoever to any manufacturer of hardware.

But it occurs to me....would Nintendo be better served concentrating on the software side of their business? I realize this is a touchy questions because people, at least very vocal people, become very aligned with particular platforms for whatever reason. Nintendo's software has the best brand recognition of anyone, in my opinion. The franchises they hold I relate to brands like Walt Disney and Apple. They have very clear, very articulated, very dedicated icons in the gaming world.

So why not focus on that? A Nintendo game generated for PC or other console could be absolutely enormous. Or would this undermine the sell to their fanbase somehow?

Just a thought, no conclusion.
---
Are we not drawn onward, we few? Drawn onward to new era?
#2genlock(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2012 5:41:55 PM
Bump
---
Are we not drawn onward, we few? Drawn onward to new era?
#3shootsmackPosted 11/23/2012 5:42:40 PM
The customer would be better served, and that should be paramount to any business.
---
You belong on the blizz D3 forums, it was built for people like you. Like how some barns are built specifically to contain filthy animals.
#4PG50Posted 11/23/2012 5:43:05 PM
I like Nintendo how it is now.
#5Baha05Posted 11/23/2012 5:43:08 PM
Ummmm maybe console wise. I really think however that Nintendo should focus much more on their handhelds as those have always been much bigger.
---
"LOL fail, SMG and GTA5 aren't even from the same decade. gj." - War_Fail
#6EasterEggHunterPosted 11/23/2012 5:43:09 PM
The real queston is how would the gaming world be affected if Sega still made consoles?
---
3DS Code: 5026-5030-0238
Snifit Apprentice is a master
#7BufkusPosted 11/23/2012 5:43:31 PM
No, because their software depends on their unique hardware.

Seriously it's like people have forgotten that the WiiU does things beyond what the 360/PS3 are capable of, like the whole tablet controller and stuff.
#8shootsmackPosted 11/23/2012 5:44:52 PM
Bufkus posted...
No, because their software depends on their unique hardware.

Seriously it's like people have forgotten that the WiiU does things beyond what the 360/PS3 are capable of, like the whole tablet controller and stuff.

Because it doesn't, and no games are in development which make compelling use of those features. It doesn't even seem Nintendo is supporting the system with releases.
---
You belong on the blizz D3 forums, it was built for people like you. Like how some barns are built specifically to contain filthy animals.
#9Baha05Posted 11/23/2012 5:45:53 PM
shootsmack posted...
Because it doesn't, and no games are in development which make compelling use of those features. It doesn't even seem Nintendo is supporting the system with releases.

The system is like 5 days old. What do you expect one of each of their 1st party games? Unrealistic much
---
"LOL fail, SMG and GTA5 aren't even from the same decade. gj." - War_Fail
#10leeko_linkPosted 11/23/2012 5:46:22 PM
Why would they want to go the Sega route when they know Sega themselves aren't doing so well?