MS and Sony are wise for letting Nintendo start this generation.

#1FlaccidKratosPosted 11/24/2012 9:30:09 PM
MS and Sony got burned last gen by releasing their systems before Nintendo. Consumers flocked toward the Wii because motion controls differentiated it from the other two systems. The PS3 and 360 provided essentially identical gaming experiences, so consumers wanting HD gaming were halved between them. Only after seeing how much demand there was for motion controls, the other companies brought their own half-hearted version of it late in the game.

This time around, though, MS and Sony wisely waited to see how the WiiU turned out before they make their moves. This allows them an opportunity to see what people like about WiiU and expand upon it. It should be interesting to see what the ripoff artists come up with. I think this gen will turn out to be more competitive than last gen.
#2SetecAstronomyPosted 11/24/2012 9:51:16 PM
Well of course Sony is going to be cautious. They are walking on eggshells these days. If the PS4 isn't successful, then the company very well may fold or be bought out by another company for very cheap.

I think Sony is actually waiting for MS to make the first move. Like you said, the PS3 was basically an X360 with glitches. Sony needs to make sure their next product is distinctly different from the competition.
#3Rishah0078Posted 11/24/2012 10:23:17 PM
FlaccidKratos posted...
MS and Sony got burned last gen by releasing their systems before Nintendo. Consumers flocked toward the Wii because motion controls differentiated it from the other two systems. The PS3 and 360 provided essentially identical gaming experiences, so consumers wanting HD gaming were halved between them. Only after seeing how much demand there was for motion controls, the other companies brought their own half-hearted version of it late in the game.

This time around, though, MS and Sony wisely waited to see how the WiiU turned out before they make their moves. This allows them an opportunity to see what people like about WiiU and expand upon it. It should be interesting to see what the ripoff artists come up with. I think this gen will turn out to be more competitive than last gen.

Get off this board. You make too much sense.
#4HugsAllAroundPosted 11/25/2012 2:37:37 PM
SetecAstronomy posted...
Well of course Sony is going to be cautious. They are walking on eggshells these days. If the PS4 isn't successful, then the company very well may fold or be bought out by another company for very cheap.

I think Sony is actually waiting for MS to make the first move. Like you said, the PS3 was basically an X360 with glitches. Sony needs to make sure their next product is distinctly different from the competition.

This. Sony always shoots themselves in the foot with lack of product differentiation. I could see a not-too-distant future where MS and Nintendo are the only two companies making game consoles.
#5squatch22Posted 11/25/2012 2:39:31 PM
Actually, PS3 was the last console released last gen.
---
LineTroll posted: Mario Galaxy is just like a Sonic game.
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#6Shinobi120Posted 11/25/2012 2:40:14 PM
HugsAllAround posted...
SetecAstronomy posted...

This. Sony always shoots themselves in the foot with lack of product differentiation. I could see a not-too-distant future where MS and Nintendo are the only two companies making game consoles.

I agree. Sony doesn't have very long in the gaming industry. Heck, their company is currently on Junk status now.
#7derekfishbowlPosted 11/25/2012 2:50:27 PM
Well of course Sony will be the first company to bow out of the game industry. Keep in mind that they are relative noobs compared to MS and Nintendo. Nintendo knows the gaming industry inside and out since they are solely a gaming company and have been around for what seems an eternity. And MS has been making games on PC long before entering the home console market.

Sony had great success with PS1 and PS2, but it's not looking like they'll ever repeat that success since they have lost passion for the industry and strayed away from what made those systems fun.
---
Sony's E3 2013 megaton (courtesy of Megaman Omega):
http://img248.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=350248936_strengthmitten_122_82lo.jpg
#8CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 11/25/2012 2:52:25 PM
Shinobi120 posted...
HugsAllAround posted...
SetecAstronomy posted...

I agree. Sony doesn't have very long in the gaming industry. Heck, their company is currently on Junk status now.

No, they're not junk, and they could still be with us for many decades.

But they are walking on eggshells.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#9Starwars4JPosted 11/25/2012 2:54:02 PM
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
No, they're not junk, and they could still be with us for many decades.

But they are walking on eggshells.

Have you not been keeping up with news? They are junk status.
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#10kiddsilk69Posted 11/25/2012 2:54:15 PM
I think he may be talking about their stock value?