Shigeru Miyamoto "Nintendo games are not art but products"

#31wolverinerob79Posted 11/25/2012 7:06:01 PM
I will definitely say I enjoy games that are meant to be games far more than games trying to be art. I guess this explains why I keep buying Nintendo "not art" products.
#32BurgerTime79Posted 11/25/2012 7:06:02 PM
I'll just copy/paste this from the other discussion about gaming and art:

Video games as a product themselves are not art. Everything that goes into them is the art. You can certainly have a game that is incredibly artistic, but it's the people that put the time into creating the audio and visuals of the game that are the artists, and where the art actually comes from.
I'm not going to flat out say that video games aren't art, because that discredits the people who put so much work into it. Video games as the medium that you play is artistic, but it's not a painting or sculpture.
And I will go as far as to say the same thing with movies, as much as Ebert will disagree. Gone With The Wind and Dude Where's Your Car can't be both lumped into being art, the same way ICO and Mortal Kombat can't be.
---
Gordon Ramsay, the Mr Resetti of cooking
#33trenkenPosted 11/25/2012 7:09:53 PM
Baha05 posted...
He is kinda right. Video Games are a product, however like any product you can make an artistic statement with it in some form.

Well said. These things are mass produced and that immediately lowers their value. Music, movies, games, its all art, but not in the same sense of something that someone spend some time on making with their own hands.

A rare sculpture or painting that someone slaved over will always be significantly more valuable and appreciated far more than anything that was produced for the public on a mass scale.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#34emagdnEPosted 11/25/2012 7:12:38 PM
Miyamoto is a hollow shell of his former self?!

what else is new?!

Aren't Japanese people really humble?

the exact opposite

they have quite the superiority complex, especially in regards to non-japanese
---
I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy... All right, give me the bomb. -Ultra Magnus
#35Baha05Posted 11/25/2012 7:15:56 PM
trenken posted...
Well said. These things are mass produced and that immediately lowers their value. Music, movies, games, its all art, but not in the same sense of something that someone spend some time on making with their own hands.

A rare sculpture or painting that someone slaved over will always be significantly more valuable and appreciated far more than anything that was produced for the public on a mass scale.

Well yeah kinda. The above things you mention still have art merits though some are higher then others and few can be juvenile at best (The Fable series and Duke Nukem in a nutshell)

But there has been few games going for actual art, I think only like indie games try that.
---
"LOL fail, SMG and GTA5 aren't even from the same decade. gj." - War_Fail
#36ImGanondorfLolPosted 11/25/2012 7:17:12 PM
kamikaze135 posted...
Video games aren't art.

Compared to all the other bullcrap that is considered art, to me it is.
#37ColorfulColorsPosted 11/25/2012 7:18:13 PM
Wait, don't games like Okami, Limbo, and Braid use different art styles?
(Enter "Ception" joke here)
---
sonic777 desperate to make me mad.
Once the Atari Puma comes out, every console is doomed. ~SuperShyGuy9000
#38MuZemike(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 3:11:02 PM
indeed Nintendo games may not be art but Nintendo is still enjoyable for little kids.
#39Enigma149Posted 11/26/2012 3:12:01 PM
MuZemike posted...
indeed Nintendo games may not be art but Nintendo is still enjoyable for little kids.

Troll topic backfire?
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; PS3 sold in anticipation of PS4. If you added CrimsonEnigma, I no longer use the account.
'Your opinion does not matter.' -DesperateMonkey
#40BluntGruntPosted 11/26/2012 3:13:15 PM
MuZemike posted...
indeed games may not be art but games are still enjoyable for little kids.

Fix'd.
---
?????