Shigeru Miyamoto "Nintendo games are not art but products"

#51Sol_ClydePosted 11/26/2012 7:29:10 PM(edited)
YamagishiD posted...
emagdnE posted...

Aren't Japanese people really humble?

the exact opposite

they have quite the superiority complex, especially in regards to non-japanese

From my time with family and such in Japan, they are rather critical of themselves. They will find just as many things to bash about themselves as feel proud of. But yea, they do have a bit of a superiority complex in regards to other countries and cultures at times.

Wrong.
It's not about feeling superior. They're just very protective of their own culture. It's why they avoid mixing with other people online. (Their online communities are closed for foreigners)
Their cutlure is simply different. If you're a foreigner and you're in their country you're basically in someone else's house and they expect you to act accordingly. There's no 'Make yourself at home.'
---
Want to make the boards a better place?
REPORT bad posts and topics so the moderators can do something about it.
#52helldewPosted 11/26/2012 7:34:05 PM
Art is a piece of a game its not the entire game thus his saying isnt really incorrect.
---
ErrorSupply 3-D DS -OMG! It's the ultimate anti-pirate tech O:.
#53Mega_RatPosted 11/26/2012 7:37:36 PM
kamikaze135 posted...
Video games aren't art.

Okami was art to me ...
---
My wonderful girlfriend is a smexy Bunuppy! A cross breed of a bunny and a puppy .... WHAT?! O_O
http://i.imgur.com/nddzs.jpg <- My name in a game! :D
#54LurkerLordPosted 11/26/2012 7:38:11 PM
Remember this?: http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/04/video_games_can_never_be_art.html

This basically sounds like Miyamoto, of all people, is agreeing with him...(?)
#55Soanevalcke6Posted 11/26/2012 7:39:30 PM
Just because Shiggy makes good games doesnt mean he's never wrong.

This is a case where he is wrong, Video games are art.

BTW, just because something is Bad art doesn't mean it's not art. So from Call of Duty to Super Mario Bros, Video Games are art.
---
Qualities I look for in games: Music, Atmosphere, and Exploration.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the best game of this generation.
#56Redjoker777Posted 11/26/2012 7:43:35 PM
I am surprised people are upset at this. He is saying that the player base is more important then the game they put out. He is arguing that games should be made for people, not just to be games.

I can understand disagreeing with it but to say the philosophy is terrible seems counterintuitive.
---
Loshadt-"There are times when I wish I were capable of hating people to death."
#57fawfulmark2Posted 11/26/2012 7:50:54 PM
MuZemike posted...
Here is the quote from the interview.
Shigeru Miyamoto "What we have created are not art but products. For us, the most important are the customers and not games themselves. I always tell staff to call Nintendo games products, not art."

Source (in Japanese)
http://gamez.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0910/27/news082_3.html

I nearly got tears from this.....and now I feel awkward.
---
Official Pipo Snake of the PAS board.
#58fawfulmark2Posted 11/26/2012 8:00:37 PM
Redjoker777 posted...
I am surprised people are upset at this. He is saying that the player base is more important then the game they put out. He is arguing that games should be made for people, not just to be games.

I can understand disagreeing with it but to say the philosophy is terrible seems counterintuitive.

I think the issue comes from the fact that it is the opposite of his "Halo" quote from awhile back-in that he's not aiming to make games that the mass media wants, but those that he feels most comfortable making and can express himself in.
---
Official Pipo Snake of the PAS board.
#59DivinityStripesPosted 11/26/2012 8:05:46 PM
Ok, can anyone here read Japanese???

There's no way you can confirm Shigeru Miyamoto actually said this unless you read the source for yourself.

The best I can do is use Google Chrome's translate feature; there isn't even a trace of the word art on the entire page.

If anyone could clarify this, that would be awesome. =P
#60IlluminoiusPosted 11/26/2012 8:09:52 PM
why would games created for the sake of entertaining others (in order to turn in a profit and not being done for any particular desire of expression) be considered art?