Shigeru Miyamoto "Nintendo games are not art but products"

#81DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/27/2012 5:56:11 PM
While games are and should be created as products, that doesn't stop them from being art.
Mother 3 is art. Pure and simple.
---
AMD CACHING = NOT YET FINISHED
Hey... just so you know...PC is a brand. ;). ~Lord_Kagato
#82GEKGanonPosted 11/27/2012 5:58:18 PM
If music is art, and storytelling is an art, and art consists of many visual mediums, how is a visual product with music and a story NOT art? That makes no sense.
---
Steam Name: gekganon
#83zatOMGPosted 11/27/2012 6:01:32 PM
Video games are not art for me, personally.

There is art IN a video game. The music, the story, the graphics... all these things are art. But the overall body of "work" if you want to call it that is created to entertain, not inspire (though you can be inspired through the entertainment). In case you are wondering, I do not consider movies or tv art for the same types of reasons. PM me if you want to discuss that, I'm always ready for that.

There are, obviously, games that try to blur the line I just drew (that weird DSiWare release Jason something collection) but all in all I just don't see them as art. Just me though, if you want to call it art, thats fine. Don't expect me to, though! lol
#84Soanevalcke6Posted 11/27/2012 6:17:21 PM
MuZemike posted...
Some games are art but Nintendo games are not art.

Art doesnt work like that. I can paint a picture expressing myself, or paint a picture to appeal to the Masses, it doesnt matter, they are both art.

Video Games, including Nintendo games are Art, no matter how good or bad they are, they are art.
---
Playing Retro Studios' Games made my standards incredibly high for 3D Games.
Great Music: http://tinyurl.com/d8f78ax
#85kissdadookiePosted 11/27/2012 6:19:47 PM
If games are not art, then why the heck did he make me wait like 5 years for Skyward Sword? Makes no sense.
#86Kitt ThrustPosted 11/27/2012 6:22:53 PM
Why is an article from June 2011 being posted now?
---
Go Go Big Underpants !!
http://i.imgur.com/kZGQ7.gif
#87McDude_Posted 11/27/2012 6:24:13 PM
Nerds trying to legitimize their time-wasting by fighting for it to be labeled "art".

You're still playing Pokemon. It doesn't look any cooler when it's called "art".
---
"He's not daddy. He's just a guy in a suit."
#88kissdadookiePosted 11/27/2012 6:25:59 PM
McDude_ posted...
Nerds trying to legitimize their time-wasting by fighting for it to be labeled "art".

You're still playing Pokemon. It doesn't look any cooler when it's called "art".

I wish they treated it like products, then I wouldn't have to wait 5 years for a proper Zelda o substantial Mario like Galaxy or the I-Lost-Count wait for DKC.
#89PyjamaHeroPosted 11/27/2012 7:07:43 PM
Any form of self expression can be art if an audience member deems that it is. There are pieces of advertising from the past that were nothing more than movie, play or product posters that now hang in museums as respected works of art. Was the creator setting out to forge a masterpiece? Nope, he needed a paycheck and created something to generate one. Does that mean that the community of art appreciators are wrong for considering something to be art that the creator does not? Of course not. Just because the creator does not feel the piece is "artistic" doesn't invalidate the audience's opinion.

The same goes for games. A very tiny portion, in my opinion, should be classified as art, but some should. Some designers go out of their way to create a game that makes a statement, that evokes an emotion, that creates a connection or weaves a wonderful story. Since the audience has defined what qualified as art in other mediums after the creator has released his work into the world who's right is it to deny this classification to games?
---
A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.
#90MuZemike(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 7:58:32 PM
GEKGanon posted...
If music is art, and storytelling is an art, and art consists of many visual mediums, how is a visual product with music and a story NOT art? That makes no sense.

Music and story in a game are art but game itself is not art.