Shigeru Miyamoto "Nintendo games are not art but products"

#91SamusFarronPosted 11/28/2012 7:26:55 PM
Videogames are art in the same way movies and music are. They are often artistic, and they can be interpreted in artistic ways; but whether they actually classify as "art" is a subjective matter. It even depends on the game, movie, or song, as not all of them are created equally.

While I try to avoid this debate; I will say that a game like Majora's Mask reaches much further into a non-subjective definition of art than dubstep, generic comedy films, or popcorn flicks like Transformers.

But at the end of the day, it is all up to you. If you classify something as art, while others may say "no", that doesn't mean it isn't. All that means is that they don't interpret as art.
---
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4062/lightningrocks.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W45QvqwEJME
#92TheRaging_GamerPosted 11/28/2012 8:18:56 PM
Biggs Yamato posted...
Great_Pudding_3 posted...
Who says I'd like to buy some art please anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQVnRKIpzAU

I legit laughed!
#93MuZemike(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2012 12:07:54 AM
What Miyamoto wants to say is like this.
Usually kids are not interested in art. And Nintendo's main customers are kids. Therefore to entertain kids, Nintendo creates not art but products for kids so that Nintendo entertains its customers.
It is hard to create art which interests kids but it is easy to create products which interest kids.
That is why Most of Nintendo games are for kids.
#94ZBug_Posted 11/29/2012 12:09:20 AM
gumbyxcore99 posted...
you dont see me going into the videogame section at walmart being like "i'd like to buy some art please"

lmao. I'm going to do this now
---
"I've never in my life wanted to punch a girl like I want to right now" Light Yagami
3DS FC 3995-6522-2067 (PM me so I can add you back)
#95mtjormitchPosted 11/29/2012 12:26:49 AM
MuZemike posted...
Here is the quote from the interview.
Shigeru Miyamoto "What we have created are not art but products. For us, the most important are the customers and not games themselves. I always tell staff to call Nintendo games products, not art."

Source (in Japanese)
http://gamez.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0910/27/news082_3.html

The man himself is the one who, even though Galaxy 2 wasn't going to have the best story mode. He himself did strangle ANY story out of most of his games that aren't Zelda or Star Fox. He is known for doing that and shockingly the best works of Nintendo have him far away from them. There is a reason why Majora's Mask kicks ass and a fact that modern story based Nintendo games try to keep him away as far as possible.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#96mtjormitchPosted 11/29/2012 12:30:49 AM
LordBowser posted...
Too bad he didn't design Mass Effect 3.

I'm kidding of course, but how could I pass up on this?

I agree with him. Games can be artistic, absolutely, but they aren't art. We don't 'appreciate' them, we play them. They are designed to entertain us, and that should be their one and only main goal. If making them artistic, though, plays out to make the game more entertaining or fun, I love it.

Welp... you need to leave this site. Like right now. You just said some of the most moronic things I think I have ever read. That is no joke? We don't Appreciate games? uh... so... MGS, 999. Enslaved. Fragile Dreams Farewell ruins of the moon, Majora's mask, Planetscape torment, Fallout 1/2/new vegas, Metro 2033, Half life series, Pheonix Wright series, Alan Wake, Dead Space, System Shock, Nier, Heavy Rain, and even Red Dead Redemption aren't appreciated and or not art?

You just lost any and all opinions from now to the end of time for that moronicness. No respect from me either.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#97mtjormitchPosted 11/29/2012 12:33:33 AM
mini_blight posted...
MuZemike posted...
Here is the quote from the interview.
Shigeru Miyamoto "What we have created are not art but products. For us, the most important are the customers and not games themselves. I always tell staff to call Nintendo games products, not art."

Source (in Japanese)
http://gamez.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0910/27/news082_3.html

It's important to stay grounded. It's fun to picture a videogame as a work of art. But it's still entertainment. That's all it is and all it needs to be. It's okay for there to be haters who think it's weird. Not everyone has to like everything. You don't need approval to like what you like, so long as you aren't hurting yourself or others. I still get the occasional "what?" when some people find out I still play or that I play videogames.

It's depressing to see videogames stuck in a rut. The tech is evolving, but the content remains the same. If you're a kid now, you won't notice. But if you keep playing well into your adult life, you will begin to understand.

Telling the staff they are not creating art but products honestly sounds very... horrible in a way, it sounds like he puts down his coworkers who wish for greater things and he just George Lucas things up.
---
#98mtjormitchPosted 11/29/2012 12:36:34 AM
MuZemike posted...
COlimar788 posted...
I'll be frank: anyone who seriously believes video games aren't art is either hyper-pretentious or an idiot.

Miyamoto, even if he was a genius, has proven time and time again as of lately that he really, really doesn't get it. So...

Some games are art but Nintendo games are not art.

Majora's mask called... it says your full of bullcrap.
---
#99mtjormitchPosted 11/29/2012 12:39:18 AM
McDude_ posted...
Nerds trying to legitimize their time-wasting by fighting for it to be labeled "art".

You're still playing Pokemon. It doesn't look any cooler when it's called "art".

Yet people who paint aren't called time wasters or movie watchers aren't time wasters either? HIPACRACY!!!
---
#100Oni_TaedoPosted 11/29/2012 12:56:49 AM
wingo84 posted...
kamikaze135 posted...
Video games aren't art.

Art is subjective. Therefore what qualifies as art is subjective.

No it isn't.
Schindler's List is art, that's fact.
If I were to say that something like American Pie was art, that's not me having an opinion, that's me being wrong, and I'm never wrong.

Video games 50% of the time cannot be considered art. The few games I can think of as art are Okami, Viewtiful Joe, Wind Waker, Skyrim, and Super Metroid.
---
If you have accepted Kenshiro as your lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, you are already dead.