Donkey Kong Country Returns is the best DK game..?

#41MrElgawargPosted 11/26/2012 2:15:57 AM
Eh, I preferred the SNES games myself. The atmosphere and music was stronger in them, I think. Donkey Kong Country Returns had a bit of that atmosphere, but I couldn't shake off the feeling that it was doing a lot of what it did for the sake of nostalgia.

With that said, I think if I played Donkey Kong Country Returns before I played the SNES trilogy, I'd like it a lot more. Maybe even more than the SNES games.

Donkey Kong 64 seems like it should be my favorite in the series. A 3D platformer with open levels, lots of exploration and tons of collectables seems like my kind of game (I love stuff like Spyro, Jak & Daxter, and Banjo Kazooie). The main problem I had with it though was that so much time was spent backtracking to character barrels so you could switch your character and collect one single oddly colored banana or something. If you could just switch characters whenever you wanted, kind of like in Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, I think I'd enjoy it a lot more.
#42jedistormtroopPosted 11/26/2012 2:16:44 AM
im a mega dk diciple of diddy kongs quest on the pal snes man i played the f**k out of that game i remember staying up late just to colect the kremkoins so i could get past that kiosk damm troll of a gatekeeper
---
Psn:SneakyDusty1984 Xboxlive: Its Aussie rage
#43blazeUP12Posted 11/26/2012 2:18:32 AM
DKCR > DKC2 > DKC3 > DKC
---
hello earthlings, i am from another planet
#44XD375Posted 11/26/2012 2:27:21 AM
DKC2 = DKC3 = DKCR > DKC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DK64
#45noutBrPosted 11/26/2012 2:44:38 AM
For me DKC:R was just okay, not really as good as the original DKC trilogy.

The main reason for this is that DKC:R lacked the atmosphere that EVERY game in the trilogy had, there was something about the entire world and the music that really made each game special and unique. DKC:R was a bit lackluster in some design areas, like the world map reminding me of NSMB and the generic look of the game (I honestly like the SNES rendered style graphics better).

The horrible "waggle to roll" design choice just made it more frustrating to play (I rolled to my death a few times just because I adjusted my sitting position on the couch while playing).

Oh and DK64 was just a Banjo-Kazooie sequel with a Donkey Kong theme, it's as much of a DK game as Nuts and Bolts was a B-K game.
---
m e g a m a n f o r e v e r
#46NinjaGamer_23Posted 11/26/2012 2:49:05 AM
Donkey kong country 2 is my favorite dkc game, follow by donkey kong country returns,
#47Trailblazer34Posted 11/26/2012 2:56:29 AM
AXKSION posted...
Starwars4J posted...
AXKSION posted...
No.

The Country trilogy and the original Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior are far better.

Returns is okay, okay but inferior.

At least you make your jokes obvious

Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior (I prefer Junior) are excellent games and will forever be classics, unlike Returns, which lacked character / charm.

Retro Studios dont seem to have the distinct "British" humor of old Rareware, so the lack of character in Returns is prob. because of the dev switch :(
#48AnclationPosted 11/26/2012 2:59:03 AM
I agree, Donkey Kong Country Returns is my favorite DK game as well, followed by Donkey Kong Country 2.
#49Spade59Posted 11/26/2012 3:02:42 AM
DKC2 > DKCR > DKC > DKC3
#50AXKSIONPosted 11/26/2012 3:32:20 AM
Trailblazer34 posted...
AXKSION posted...
Starwars4J posted...
AXKSION posted...
No.

The Country trilogy and the original Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior are far better.

Returns is okay, okay but inferior.

At least you make your jokes obvious

Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior (I prefer Junior) are excellent games and will forever be classics, unlike Returns, which lacked character / charm.

Retro Studios dont seem to have the distinct "British" humor of old Rareware, so the lack of character in Returns is prob. because of the dev switch :(

Such a shame too, since Metroid Prime trilogy are some of the very best games there are.

I guess the fact that they're a western company has to do with the lower quality. Also, what's up with not being able to control Diddy, lack of Kremlings, and lack of animal buddies? WTF? Are these the same people that stripped Paper Mario down to 1 character?
---
http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s574/akxsion/Nintendo.png http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s574/akxsion/SMRPG.jpg