Donkey Kong Country Returns is the best DK game..?

#61Lord_KagatoPosted 11/26/2012 9:05:46 AM
If Kremlings were in the game, people would love it more.
---
Watch my LPs and UMvC3's Courtroom Drama! - http://tinyurl.com/bo7nxnx
Current LPs: Majora's Mask, Fatal Frame 2, Megaman Legends 2
#62Solid_SOAP(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 9:10:26 AM
Lord_Kagato posted...
If Kremlings were in the game, people would love it more.

I understand why it disappointed people that they weren't in the game, but come on, how can you complain about new, high quality content? Now the DK universe has expanded outside of what it originally was, instead of simply just using content from previous games again. They simultaneously recreated classic gameplay and rebooted the franchise, win/win imo.
#63Jack_the_monke7Posted 11/26/2012 9:14:26 AM
tikis are stupid enemies

stupid wiimote motion gimmicks (shake the wiimote)

no underwater levels

no net climbing levels

stupid mine cart levels

stupid rocket barrel levels

music sucked

camera is zoomed out way too far. the camera distance in the original trilogy is far better

can't control Diddy and switch off

If these are your opinions then you're entitled to them, but they're very objective. Tikis are just enemies, not major and "stupid" is just your opinion. Personally, I thought shaking the remote worked well and wasn't a forced gimmick. I hate underwater levels. It didn't ned net climbing levels. I have no idea why you hate the mine cart and rocket barrel levels, they were some of the best imo. Music and camera is your opinion, and I didn't have an issue About Diddy I wouldn't want to play as him anyway. If you really hated all those things that's your right, but most of them are your opinion and some are really minor.
#64Semi45aPosted 11/26/2012 9:14:57 AM
DKC3 was gawful. I can't believe you people are saying its better than DKCR
---
The only Vita games really worth getting: Gravity Rush & P4G
Being unable to detect sarcasm and lies might be an early way to catch dementia
#65AkaimizuPosted 11/26/2012 9:25:50 AM(edited)
I'm not at liberty to truly say it is the best DK game. It's definitely in that top echelon of ones I did play. I consider it a fantastic game, to say the least. It has gameplay to satisfy both casual and extremely dedicated core gamers. Them K levels are very hard, but oh so satisfying when you conquer them.

I remember playing through the game, breezing by at first, and having a bit of fun with the shake mechanics and all the hidden stuff to find. [It's a very neat game for that whole, exploration find-the-hidden stuff aspect.] Then I started the K level and oh boy, it's battletoads all over again. Then again, the NES Ninja Gaiden 1 finisher in me was not going to give up. I figure if I can make it through Ninja Gaiden areas 6-2, and 6-3, there's no way this level would beat me. So yeah, I played it over and over again, just like the old days.

I applaud it for keeping things smooth and fun, still being relevant with today's jaded gamer mentality, and still sending a bit of a love letter to the old-school gamer who never gave up on gaming.

---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vem Reld (http://server6.uploadit.org/files/greatisgood-Ninja.jpg)
#66Soanevalcke6Posted 11/26/2012 9:24:33 AM
Jack_the_monke7 posted...
tikis are stupid enemies

stupid wiimote motion gimmicks (shake the wiimote)

no underwater levels

no net climbing levels

stupid mine cart levels

stupid rocket barrel levels

music sucked

camera is zoomed out way too far. the camera distance in the original trilogy is far better

can't control Diddy and switch off

If these are your opinions then you're entitled to them, but they're very objective. Tikis are just enemies, not major and "stupid" is just your opinion. Personally, I thought shaking the remote worked well and wasn't a forced gimmick. I hate underwater levels. It didn't ned net climbing levels. I have no idea why you hate the mine cart and rocket barrel levels, they were some of the best imo. Music and camera is your opinion, and I didn't have an issue About Diddy I wouldn't want to play as him anyway. If you really hated all those things that's your right, but most of them are your opinion and some are really minor.

"stupid wiimote motion gimmicks (shake the wiimote)"

I really think this is just an issue to people that havent even played the game. Considering they say it's "Unresponsive" and "Unintuitive". Every Wii Remote I used (I have 2 from launch, 1 from 2009, and 1 from 2011) was 100% responsive, and also, just twitching your hands is much more intuitive than a button press. Its not like you had to flail around, it was just a matter of twitching both of your hands.

I think some people (not all) just hate it because it's not DKC2. If these people never played DKC2 when they were younger, then played DKCR first, THEN played DKC2, 80% of them would probably say DKCR is better.
---
Qualities I look for in games: Music, Atmosphere, and Exploration.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the best game of this generation.
#67TriforceBunPosted 11/26/2012 9:32:36 AM
DKCR is amazing and one of the best games on the Wii. Retro went all out with the detail in this game, delivering some stunning backgrounds mixed with a whole lot of spectacle. Even better, the level design was consistently memorable, surprising, and creative, and the Time Trials were great fun--I Shiny Golded every stage!

That said, I'd probably put DKC2 just a hair above it, but it's an easy second.
---
My Kirby/Smash comics: www.brawlinthefamily.com
Mother 3 = Game of the Year 2006
#68P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 11/26/2012 9:34:13 AM
For me it's

1. Donkey Kong 64
2. Donkey Kong Country Returns
3. Donkey Kong Country Trilogy
4. Donkey Kong Gameboy
5. Donkey Kong Junior
---
Currently Playing: Shenmue2, NSMB2
http://youtu.be/X21mJh6j9i4
#69HitagiPosted 11/26/2012 9:35:18 AM
No.

The original DKC trilogy stomps all over Returns.
#70StephenYap3Posted 11/26/2012 11:10:54 AM
Yes, agreed, but it's also the best Wii game I played so far. I like the different mechanics and gameplay, something that DKC2 and DKC3 should've done, in my opinion. Plus, we get the true stars Donkey Kong and Diddy! I wasn't fond of Dixie and Kiddy...
---
Spam Musubi = Super Mushroom :D