Donkey Kong Country Returns is the best DK game..?

#71Vegeta1000Posted 11/26/2012 11:35:36 AM
I don't understand the hate for DK64. Yes, it does have lots of backtracking, but I thought it was a great 3D platformer.

All this will be completely subjective but IMO the first, original DK Arcade game remains the finest DK game ever made. Without it's success, subsequent DK games would not exist.

Despite the title, it is not a DK game. Who starred in that game again?
---
IT'S ME AUSTIN!!!!!
#72imameliaPosted 11/26/2012 11:42:48 AM
DKCR > DKC3 > DKC2 > DKC1 for me. Still, though, considering the ones in the original trilogy were probably my favorite games before Returns came out, that's not saying much. It's kind of like how getting free ice cream for a year is better than getting free ice cream for 51 weeks. I will agree about some of the problems with it, though, such as the motion controls (just because I got used to them doesn't mean I don't still think they were a stupid idea to begin with), the reliance on remixed music (though it was still pretty good; it didn't bother me that much), and all the rocket barrel levels (yeah, I got the hang of them eventually, but there were still too many). On that note, I wish they'd put checkpoints in the Key Temple levels; yeah, I know it's common for bonus levels not to have them, but it's one of the oldest tricks in the book for making fake difficulty. I also wish that more animal buddies had shown up. As far as the whole Kremling thing goes...it didn't really bother me too much. It was kind of weird to have the new enemies instead, and I can only wonder what the game would have been like with Kremlings, but the tikis still worked all right.
#73AkaimizuPosted 11/26/2012 11:56:27 AM
Vegeta1000 posted...
I don't understand the hate for DK64. Yes, it does have lots of backtracking, but I thought it was a great 3D platformer.

All this will be completely subjective but IMO the first, original DK Arcade game remains the finest DK game ever made. Without it's success, subsequent DK games would not exist.

Despite the title, it is not a DK game. Who starred in that game again?

Donkey Kong clearly stole the show in that game. They just had you play this annoying plumber that tried to steal the lead-character's girl......j/k
---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vem Reld (http://server6.uploadit.org/files/greatisgood-Ninja.jpg)
#74chaos_controlrPosted 11/26/2012 11:45:50 PM
one more small annoyance for this game, blowing out candles and windmills and all that really halted the action and was boring and annoying to do
#75sloth927Posted 11/26/2012 11:48:28 PM
my favorite is dkc1 but dkcr is a close 2nd for me at least.
---
Wii u name: Fire Chomp
#76MathewMansonPosted 11/26/2012 11:51:02 PM
Eh...it's a tie between DKCR and DKC2 for me. I think that DKC1 was a rather mediocre in my opinion...three was amazing with the exception of how much easier it was.
---
I'm not man enough...to be human.
#77zeloswilder_fanPosted 11/26/2012 11:52:30 PM
I wish people would stop forgetting about DK64.
---
"The dirac delta: the height of the discontinuity."
#78lowuwPosted 11/26/2012 11:54:08 PM
Returns was an awesome game. It was one of the most creative games that I ever played.
#79PennywiseJimPosted 11/26/2012 11:57:52 PM
zeloswilder_fan posted...
I wish people would stop forgetting about DK64.

I loved DK64, but I'm a sucker for collect-a-thons. I guess that's what turned a lot of people off, though. It was such a massive game for its time. Love the rap song.

DKCR was one of my favorite games last gen across ALL platforms. It was near perfect and I love how Retro didn't skimp on the challenge.
#80mahboiPosted 11/27/2012 12:04:18 AM
DKCR was the definitive 2D platformer of this generation.
---
E means "Everyone", not "Eleven and under". Agrees: 49
I believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior, and am proud of it.