400,000 sold first week.

#171Devil_wings00Posted 11/26/2012 3:13:05 PM
OtakuGamera posted...
i doubt it's capped by availability, reggie said that they;ve prepared more stocks compared to when wii launched, so if wii sold 600k, that means there must be over 600k of stocks for the wii U. then again, reggie likes to say alot of things.

Ya only place I saw it sold out I went to this weekend was a walmart I was in. Besides that gamestop, future shop, best buy, staples all had a few sitting on shelves. I know it's anecdotal but I've heard it from tons of random people across the net the last few days in various areas. So the capped by availability thing doesn't sound true to me. Also wasn't it reported on a bunch of websites that pre-orders were smashing the wii pre-order numbers? What happened there lol I remember not being able to find a Wii for almost 6 months (admittedly I wasn't trying very hard but they were always out when I went looking).
---
3570k @ 4.6, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, 2 Mushkin Chronos in raid0, 1TB WD black.
#172jastenPosted 11/26/2012 3:25:00 PM
Not surprised it isn't more... a little surprised it was still that much. The quality of the Wii was crap and it was hardly heralded as a true success to gamers. It sold a lot, but it was primarily looked at as a toy instead of a viable gaming device.

This does not really bode well for its future though. With continued reliance on gimmicks, really being only on par with current gen PS/MS systems.... the Wii U is in for a rough ride. Aside from a few first party games, Nintendo is just not a destination system anymore. And why spend money on a system that will be severely outdated by the time the PS4 and Next Xbox come out?

Course, if MS has it's way with it's stupid business practices they tease about pre owned games and this stupid monitoring system with cameras in its devices seeing how many people use a licensed product... yeah, gaming in general is looking fairly bleak on the console side of things. The industry is just stupid with some of its decisions right now.
---
We are not merely the sum of our parts
#173TreGoodaPosted 11/26/2012 3:32:26 PM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
Splatman1 posted...
Megagunstarman posted...
Only 400,000 units. Even less than the 3,000,000 Patcher predicted.

If only they had used the 6670, this wouldn't have happened.

It was capped by availability -_-

I can still find it in most stores in my area, even after Black Friday. Not an availability problem here~

Can you post a phone number to one of these stores please?
---
"Get a life! What? I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives."
#174HungoverHero777Posted 11/26/2012 3:35:32 PM
GeminiX7 posted...
HungoverHero777 posted...
Dark_Lawl posted...
400,000 is good, but it isn't a safe number that hasn't been had before by struggling consoles (Vita, and the 3DS before price cut). Luckily, we're still in the holiday effect. Nintendo needs to keep momentum up for the Wii U and strengthen it's advertisement.

Have you seen all the Wii U ads on this site?

The overwhelming majority of consumers don't visit this board(or hell, video game sites in general). If you want to hit the casual market that the Wii dominated, you need to flood TV ad space, oft visted sites like Facebook and Youtube, and physical ad space(billboards, fliers, town criers, home invasions).

I know, but I'm just saying that it's not like Nintendo isn't advertising at all. I've seen a few TV commercials, but I do agree that that isn't enough.
---
The Great Mighty Poo sings better than JB. Agree:4 Disagree:0 PM me for your choice.
Official "Co-Pun-isher" of the C2 board. IlThe AR-C Expert II
#175oxnerdPosted 11/26/2012 3:37:38 PM
They should have named the thing differently. The playstation has a solid name to it and the xbox sort of too. It worked with the 3ds, but adding a U at the end is not that innovative...
#1760NotoriousLynx0Posted 11/26/2012 3:38:38 PM
How is that bad at all? It's only the first week. I can't wait to see how many people have one by Christmas.
#177GM_Posted 11/26/2012 4:08:08 PM
Quote:They should have named the thing differently. The playstation has a solid name to it and the xbox sort of too. It worked with the 3ds, but adding a U at the end is not that innovative...
@oxnerd

But adding a number is?
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#178coreyerbPosted 11/26/2012 4:43:24 PM
GeminiX7 posted...
If you want to hit the casual market that the Wii dominated, you need to flood TV ad space, oft visted sites like Facebook and Youtube, and physical ad space(billboards, fliers, town criers, home invasions).

ymmac1707 posted...
Nintendo has probable the worst marketing team ever, people just don't know whats a Wii U vs the Wii

http://sickr.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/nielsen_6_12.png?w=625
http://sickr.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/nielsen_13.png?w=625

Seems like more than a few people either know what it is, or still think it's some newfangled add-on to the Wii and still want it. Their marketing worked just fine, seeing as they sold pretty much all that was available, and it's going to be on many Christmas lists this year.

Would you rather they spent more on marketing and either cut back on the production of the console, or bombard you with ads when you're not going to be able to find one for a year?
---
NNID: LoeliaPonsonby / iS*LoeliaP / elP - http://ironsightge.webs.com
#179ZombiDeadZombiPosted 11/26/2012 7:54:49 PM
Sailor Goon posted...
400,000 is an okay number but nothing really to rejoice about.

Considering the only console to beat the Wii U's opening week since 2005 is the original Wii, I'd say it's a lot to rejoice about.

With all the never ending Nintendo doom and gloom, you would think the thing only sold 25 units, not one of the best console launches in history.
#180Xeeh_BitzPosted 11/26/2012 7:56:47 PM
ZombiDeadZombi posted...
Sailor Goon posted...
400,000 is an okay number but nothing really to rejoice about.

Considering the only console to beat the Wii U's opening week since 2005 is the original Wii, I'd say it's a lot to rejoice about.

With all the never ending Nintendo doom and gloom, you would think the thing only sold 25 units, not one of the best console launches in history.

360 would have but they had serious supply issues for awhile
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12