Will we ever have the feeling of playing Mario 64 for the first time again?

#11AxccelPosted 11/26/2012 9:28:05 PM
It happens to me with every new MGS game. And the newest one showing off the Fox Engine made me giddy.
---
Black FC - 3224 4871 9538
PSN: EZed2587
#12Xeeh_BitzPosted 11/26/2012 9:29:49 PM
No, I'll never get that feeling I had when I first played Mario 64, mainly because I played it under a certain type of influence and I no longer do that.
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#13zeloswilder_fanPosted 11/26/2012 9:31:47 PM
maxmansupa posted...
Never.

Because you grew up.

---
"The dirac delta: the height of the discontinuity."
#14GoombaXPosted 11/26/2012 9:38:17 PM
Monkmaster79 posted...
GoombaX posted...
last time a game gave me pure awe was dark souls before that was alan wake

You must be very easily awed.

nope pretty much hate most games past the ps2
---
Pro tip : Thats not how I would do it
#15hunterslairPosted 11/26/2012 9:39:59 PM
For me, the feeling came when playing Pokemon Red for the first time ever. There was this huge world and all these creatures that I could catch and raise. It was sublime. It was challenging for a kid, and there were clear goals - But most importantly, I was going to be the very best, and that game was so centralized around making you feel like you had a real shot at it. Groundbreaking for me. I'm often reminiscent of that feeling, but it doesn't come around as often anymore. There have been games that have been almost there.

For me, the following nearly recreated that feeling:
- To The Moon
- Metal Gear Solid 3/4
- World of Warcraft when I first played it

There have been others such as:
- Every Zelda game.
- Rooms with massive rooms with huge ceilings (Just one of my favorite things in games. Loved Halo 4 because of this)
- Narrative games (The Walking Dead, Dear Esther, To The Moon)
- Batman: Arkham City (huge fan)
- Someday, a good Captain America game (long shot, but he's my favorite super hero of all time.)
---
If you're walking my way, I'll walk with you.
#16shaunmePosted 11/26/2012 9:42:02 PM
I often think about this, the closest I have came to it was leaving the sewers in oblivion .
---
i72600k @4.6 // ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution // 8gb corsair vengence // 3x MSI GTX 680 LIGHTNINGS2gb sli // 850watt ocz gamexstream // 1tb samsung spinpoint //w8pro
#17Soanevalcke6Posted 11/26/2012 9:42:14 PM
Metroid Prime (Trilogy)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

You have not experienced Joy until you've played those 2 (or 4) games.
---
Qualities I look for in games: Music, Atmosphere, and Exploration.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the best game of this generation.
#18SamusFarronPosted 11/26/2012 9:42:41 PM
maxmansupa posted...
Never.

Because you grew up.

This.

Unfortunately we aren't kids anymore. We see things from a different, more critical, more analytical point of view. And with games pushing into sharper, prettier, more "realistic" territory - we aren't really getting the same types of games anymore either.

We had our time, our "golden era" so to speak. But all good things must come to an end, and we can never recapture those emotions or feelings. Simply fondly look back on them.
---
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4062/lightningrocks.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W45QvqwEJME
#19DTY3Posted 11/26/2012 9:44:09 PM
SamusFarron posted...
maxmansupa posted...
Never.

Because you grew up.

This.

Unfortunately we aren't kids anymore. We see things from a different, more critical, more analytical point of view. And with games pushing into sharper, prettier, more "realistic" territory - we aren't really getting the same types of games anymore either.

We had our time, our "golden era" so to speak. But all good things must come to an end, and we can never recapture those emotions or feelings. Simply fondly look back on them.

-__-
Its not about nostalgia.
TC is talking about how theN64 was a gargantuan leap ahead of SNES. It added a whole dimension! We will NEVER get anything that impressive again until VR.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/DTY16
GameFAQS users are far too sensitive.
#20Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 11/26/2012 9:45:58 PM
Not on the wii u since it really only seems capable of what we already have seen done on the PS3 and 360.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://i46.tinypic.com/b83ehv.gif