Will we ever have the feeling of playing Mario 64 for the first time again?

#21SamusFarronPosted 11/26/2012 9:46:05 PM
DTY3 posted...
SamusFarron posted...
maxmansupa posted...
Never.

Because you grew up.

This.

Unfortunately we aren't kids anymore. We see things from a different, more critical, more analytical point of view. And with games pushing into sharper, prettier, more "realistic" territory - we aren't really getting the same types of games anymore either.

We had our time, our "golden era" so to speak. But all good things must come to an end, and we can never recapture those emotions or feelings. Simply fondly look back on them.

-__-
Its not about nostalgia.
TC is talking about how theN64 was a gargantuan leap ahead of SNES. It added a whole dimension! We will NEVER get anything that impressive again until VR.

Perhaps you should re-read the OP.
---
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4062/lightningrocks.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W45QvqwEJME
#22DarkECOJak(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 9:52:09 PM
SamusFarron posted...
DTY3 posted...
SamusFarron posted...
maxmansupa posted...
Never.

Because you grew up.

This.

Unfortunately we aren't kids anymore. We see things from a different, more critical, more analytical point of view. And with games pushing into sharper, prettier, more "realistic" territory - we aren't really getting the same types of games anymore either.

We had our time, our "golden era" so to speak. But all good things must come to an end, and we can never recapture those emotions or feelings. Simply fondly look back on them.

-__-
Its not about nostalgia.
TC is talking about how theN64 was a gargantuan leap ahead of SNES. It added a whole dimension! We will NEVER get anything that impressive again until VR.

Actually, it was a little of both. It is all partially because we're adults now, but I also was referring to the technological advancement of the game itself.
---
Love Mystery Science Theater? Check out ROFL@TheMovies! http://www.youtube.com/user/ROFLatTheMovies?feature=mhee
#23Ritster21Posted 11/26/2012 9:54:53 PM
Honestly, the main reason Super Mario 64 was so revolutionary and had that "feeling" was because of the 3D environment.

The huge world, free to explore, and all that jazz.

No game has captured that feeling since.

Honestly, the next game that could have that "feeling" of revolutionary and awesomeness would be a 4D game.

Super Mario 4D?

Legend of Zelda 4D?

Any game 4D?

In this case, I am talking about 4D where you are literally in the game.

Only then will that "feeling" come back.
#24PendragoonPosted 11/26/2012 9:55:20 PM
The closest you will get today is if you buy a PC and play a game on max at 1080p 60fps, but even that isn't to the same level as a fully open 3D environment to explore.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#25SnakeWeskerPosted 11/26/2012 9:56:42 PM
I know the feeling,and I felt it this year.

Play Halo 4 for about fifteen minutes. Get to the part where Cortana tells you to open up the blast doors. Then look around. That's why I'm in school for Game Design.
---
Neither Snake nor Wesker, but a perfect combination of the two.
I'm a Game Design student. Probably the next CliffyB.
#26shadestreetPosted 11/26/2012 9:59:46 PM
TC - I think you are right - the magic of playing the (essentially) first game in 3D is something that can be recreated for todays generation.

I honestly feel bad for kids today in a way. They are growing up with this technology already in place. It's sad to think they may never have an experience like playing Super Mario 64 for the first time. I'm proud to have grown up with so much joy thanks to these games. I just hope, in the future, they'll find a way to create that magic again.

I understand where you are coming from, but consider the parallel - would you rather have been alive in the 20's and 30's, and experienced the magic of seeing the first "talkie"? The first time you learned what rosebud meant? The first time Dorothy entered Oz and color hit movies?

Or would you rather been born today, and have seen The Shawshank Redemption, Empire Strikes Back, The Matrix, Batman Begins, The Avengers, Pulp Fiction?

I'd choose the latter.
#27MechaKoopa5000Posted 11/26/2012 10:00:01 PM
Maybe the first time we get REAL virtual reality. You know, the sense of truly being in a game world? Technology's advancing so quickly, I still think this'll be in our lifetime. Probably in the next 15-20 years. The thing is, it'll do wonders for first person games, but I can't see how a 3rd person game would translate... unless you are just supposed to be a camera or something.
#28DTY3Posted 11/26/2012 10:01:09 PM
SamusFarron posted...
DTY3 posted...
SamusFarron posted...
maxmansupa posted...
Never.

Because you grew up.

This.

-__-
Its not about nostalgia.

Perhaps YOU should. This is about technology.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/DTY16
GameFAQS users are far too sensitive.
#29MechaKoopa5000Posted 11/26/2012 10:01:44 PM
Maybe the first time we get REAL virtual reality. You know, the sense of truly being in a game world? Technology's advancing so quickly, I still think this'll be in our lifetime. Probably in the next 15-20 years. The thing is, it'll do wonders for first person games, but I can't see how a 3rd person game would translate... unless you are just supposed to be a camera or something.
#30ssjmolePosted 11/26/2012 10:03:53 PM
Honestly I think GTA III comes close. I was use to the GTA 2d games. Yet here comes a game where it's 3d , I can interact with nearly every car I see. I'm not restricted to story. I feel like I can do anything. And created a new genre of games (or popularized it) of 3d sandbox games.

I'd argue it was as revolutionary as it changed everything. Now since that we've had :

Spider-man series
Batman Arkham series
Assassins creed series
Saints Row
Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
The Simpsons Hit & Run
Crackdown
Red Dead Redemption
Fable
Sleeping Dogs
Tony Hawk's Underground
Just Cause

and more. I agree Mario 64 had the open world but not the same extent or in the same way. and no this not a "mario sucks" or "gta is mature so better" type post just an opinion as I actually prefer mario games to gta BUT i think GTA III impacted so much and changed so much it is the same or very close feeling.
---
*Gets on his knees and worships Beth Phoenix*
Wrestling,TV,Movie.games and much more reviewed and discussed here : http://xpound.proboards.com/