Will we ever have the feeling of playing Mario 64 for the first time again?

#41DemonDog666Posted 11/26/2012 11:10:24 PM
Not from a Nintendo console if they keep this up. The wiiU isn't capable of anything significant that the ps3 and 360 can't do and probably have already. The tablet controller is really all it gots and it's best uses are going to be local co op without cheating, more convenient for tower defense and strategy games placing using and a map or some random display.
#42_LordAndSaviorPosted 11/26/2012 11:11:55 PM
The closest I've ever gotten to this feeling was playinng the Fallout Series which really felt to me as if the things I did in the game mattered and effected the lives of others.
---
Will not change this sig, until Carlito is a World Champion! 7/10/11 (Unofficial Date: 6/11/05)
R.I.P Shauwk, Gone but Never Forgotten. You will be missed.
#43teehee23Posted 11/26/2012 11:19:43 PM
I started playing Skyrim for 360 two weeks ago and was in awe several times and that's as close to the Mario64 feeling that I can remember.

It wasn't just Mario64 though.
Waverace, Star Wars Shadows of the Empire, Pilot Wings64, Banjo-Kazooie, GoldenEye007, DOOM 64.....

N64 was so awesome!
---
Don't hate us because we're beautiful...
#44CrazyFool319Posted 11/26/2012 11:21:51 PM
Hitagi posted...
Yes, PS4/720 launch games will recapture that feeling.

How cute, this kid thinks that a console will bring something that the always more powerful PC cant do. Jumping from 2d to 3d is a lot different than making a games graphics slightly better. Did you think the same thing when the 360 and PS3 came out?
---
SEAHAWKS
#45DemonDog666Posted 11/27/2012 12:12:07 AM
CrazyFool319 posted...
Hitagi posted...

How cute, this kid thinks that a console will bring something that the always more powerful PC cant do. Jumping from 2d to 3d is a lot different than making a games graphics slightly better. Did you think the same thing when the 360 and PS3 came out?

PC games are ported console games on higher settings. If someone actually bothered to make an exclusive for high end pcs and actually used that power for better gameplay instead of just upping the resolution I'm sure it could do a lot better then what pc is now.
#46Xeeh_BitzPosted 11/27/2012 12:23:54 AM
CrazyFool319 posted...
Hitagi posted...

More powerful system can do more than just graphics, increased AI, total different gameplay experience than consoles with lower end CPUs. It's not always about a controller that changes how you interact with a game.

Look back years ago at how far games have came.

Mario games - Turtles walk straight line doing nothing else

Future games - Enemies will choose paths based on situation and react to you as you react to them, boss fights will react differently each time giving you much more different ways to play the game each time

Possible with a higher end CPU to process all that code.

Do you want the future game or do you want Mario where nothing changes each time you play
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#47game freakozoidPosted 11/27/2012 12:23:56 AM
To be honest I never really got that feeling after playing my first 3D game. I think because at that time I had played recently played games like Super Mario RPG and Star Fox which where kind of faux 3D. Those little transitions made 64 seem more like an obvious next step than a revolutionary next step so I didn't really notice the amazingness.

Weirdly enough Xenoblade and Uncharted 2 are the games that gave me that 'awe' feeling for various reasons and those are games I've played 20 years into my gaming experience. As such I'd say it's still possible to personally get that feeling.

Technology wise-No. Most likely not until we get a virtual kind of experience.
#48genlockPosted 11/27/2012 12:30:35 AM
Definitely, but it looks like not on Nintendo, which makes me quite sad.
---
Are we not drawn onward, we few? Drawn onward to new era?
#49genlockPosted 11/27/2012 12:32:44 AM
The thing about Nintendo is not the graphics, it is the gameplay. It has lagged so far behind. It is the Disney of games, relying on tired franchises. I hope hope hope they turn it around. But it looks bleak.
---
Are we not drawn onward, we few? Drawn onward to new era?
#50The J0kerPosted 11/27/2012 1:13:03 AM(edited)
For years I thought nothing ever would, but then Mario Galaxy came along. If anyone can do it it's EAD Tokyo.

Xeeh_Bitz posted...

More powerful system can do more than just graphics, increased AI, total different gameplay experience than consoles with lower end CPUs. It's not always about a controller that changes how you interact with a game.

Look back years ago at how far games have came.

Mario games - Turtles walk straight line doing nothing else

Future games - Enemies will choose paths based on situation and react to you as you react to them, boss fights will react differently each time giving you much more different ways to play the game each time

Possible with a higher end CPU to process all that code.

Do you want the future game or do you want Mario where nothing changes each time you play

This post reads like a parody.