Sadly, I'm pretty sure this will be Nintendo's last console. WARNING: Long topic

#91PendragoonPosted 11/27/2012 9:11:37 AM
GM_ posted...
Nintendo cycle

IT'S THE CIRCLE OF LIFEEEE

Finish the cycle of Eternal Return.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#92darkjedilinkPosted 11/27/2012 9:15:59 AM
TC, you really don't know what you're talking about. The thing that determines whether a company continues to sell a product isn't sales numbers, but profit. Nintendo makes profit on every Wii U sold outside NA, and only needs one game sale with a Wii U in NA. As such, it doesn't matter how many they sell - they still profit.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#93huyiPosted 11/27/2012 9:17:17 AM
no the reason why people are not buying the wii u at launch is because people can't afford it, the price of living has gone up economy is taking a downfall people can't afford fewer luxaries, not a lot of people are going to buy a nintendo console at $300 right now, but i think when better games and a price drop happens i think things will start to pick up, i don't know why people are worrying about nintendo, they have been around for over 100 years they will do fine in this financial recession, a bit slow start but they will be fine.
---
UK Female Gamer
PC specs: AMD FX BULLDOZER 4100 QUAD CORE 4.0ghz ATI HD6670 8GB RAM 1TB HDD Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/HUYI1
#94GM_Posted 11/27/2012 9:18:24 AM
Quote:no the reason why people are not buying the wii u at launch is because people can't afford it, the price of living has gone up economy is taking a downfall people can't afford fewer luxaries, not a lot of people are going to buy a nintendo console at $300 right now, but i think when better games and a price drop happens i think things will start to pick up, i don't know why people are worrying about nintendo, they have been around for over 100 years they will do fine in this financial recession, a bit slow start but they will be fine.
@huyi

Millions of people buying multiple TV's last Friday prove you wrong.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#95Haseo18615Posted 11/27/2012 9:18:33 AM
Cool story, bro.
---
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?-envoyofuno
#96LLPhilJPosted 11/27/2012 9:20:23 AM
Spike posted...
. They will not accept Sony's offer, but may possibly take Microsoft's.

"DUH! I own a bunch of game consoles so that makes me an expert!" That's probably one of the most ridiculous things I've read in a while. So, because you play video games, you are an expert on the video game industry? SOMEONE QUICK! HIRE THIS GUY! HE KNOWS EVERYTHING!

Right here shows me perfectly that you, in fact, have no idea what you are talking about. Just the fact that you bring up that Sony and Microsoft will attempt to buy out Nintendo shows that you have little-to-no knowledge of how business works. First of all, if you are competing against another company, and you put them out of business, you don't just say, "Okay, we're going to buy them now." That usually doesn't happen (not saying never), both Sony and Microsoft have their own video game divisions and have no need for a company that just (by your assumption) failed. It proves that the people you have in your company are most likely better than the people you would hire from the competing company. If anyone were to put in an offer, it would most likely be a tech company who has a great interest in breaking in to the video game market (Apple, Samsung, hell maybe even Google). There's also the fact that Japan is not a big fan of the XBOX brand. You could argue that this would give Microsoft a more favorable view in the eyes of the Japanese, if they were to pick up a brand as loved in that country as Nintendo, but you would probably be wrong. If Microsoft were to buy Nintendo, the general population of Japanese gamers would most likely view such a deal with anger and resentment. Microsoft has not done itself any favors when it comes to the Japanese gaming community.

Another point, you are comparing the Wii U launch to the launch of the Wii. The Wii enjoyed one of the greatest launches ever in the history of video games. Let's look at facts, the XBOX 360, in it's first TWO weeks sold 326,000 units. The PS3 sold 197,000 in it's first couple weeks. To say that, because the Wii U sold 400,000 in 1 week, while the Wii sold 600,000 in the same amount of time, makes the Wii U a failure is a ridiculous assertion and patently false. So again, you don't know what you're talking about.
#97ViraugePosted 11/27/2012 9:23:02 AM
squatch22 posted...
Didn't read.

Nintendo has plenty of money, so no.

Didn't need to read the topic, read comments until I found this one. This is true.

Wii sold over 97 million consoles. Even at $100 a pop, that is over $9 BILLION in sales, which the actual number should be closer to twice that. They have the money to let a console flop and start over.

The Wii U will still have in the ballpark of 40 million sales worldwide in it's lifetime, bare minimum. With the actual number, again, probably going to be nearly twice that. As much as disappointed gamers want this to flop, it's not going to.

The Wii is a goldmine, Nintendo wouldn't have been around this long if they walked away from goldmines (Mario Bros, Gameboy).
#98trenkenPosted 11/27/2012 9:27:12 AM
Foppe posted...
I think you are wrong.
Nintendo can probably survive two more generations, even if they only release failures.

I wouldnt be so sure of that. In the 2 years before the U came out Nintendo was in the worst financial shape in their entire history. The Wii was obviously not selling much anymore, DS sales were of course declining and the 3DS wasnt selling even remotely close to where they projected, hence the largest price drop in the history of videogame consoles. After that the 3DS did pick up again.

The 3DS was overpriced for something that was essentially just an enhanced DS. Well the same thing is going on now. The U is an enhanced Wii, something everyone and their mother already owns, so although its far to early to tell, its entirely possible that the U may not do all that well. We'll see.

But Nintendo is NOT Sony or MS. Nintendo only sells games. If the games/systems dont sell well at all for years, they could flounder. Its happened to companies as beloved as Nintendo before. Sony and MS though make far more than just games and their wealth runs far deeper than Nintendo's ever could, so they could sustain generations of losses without even feeling it that much. Only thing that would happen to them is maybe their game divisions would be scuttled, but for Nintendo if their games dont do well, well thats all they have!
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#99BassForeverPosted 11/27/2012 9:28:07 AM
Another Nintendo is DOOOMED topic
---
Official Witch Doctor of KDF
Because it's up to you to keep your topic under control, not the mods
#100The J0kerPosted 11/27/2012 9:28:52 AM
bobone711 posted...
even tho Sony is technically worth 80+ billion and Nintendo is around 20 billion.

Sony isn't worth anywhere near 80 billion.

Sony market cap: ~$9.79 billion
Nintendo market cap: ~$15.27 billion.

http://www.market*watch.com/investing/stock/sne
http://www.market*watch.com/investing/stock/ntdoy

Remove the *, I had to add them to avoid censoring.