I really hope this 'rushed out launch port' madness is just an early fad...

#1Devilman_AmonPosted 11/28/2012 1:58:49 AM
Because it hasn't motivated me at all to get a Wii U....all these ports that some don't even run as well as the originals..

Then again I usually don't buy consoles anyway until the 1st or second year in.....
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#2SocranPosted 11/28/2012 2:26:38 AM(edited)
If the PS3 is any indication, this will always be an issue unless Wii U becomes the default console that everything else is ported from. Multiplatform games tend to use the 360 as a base, since it's both weaker than the PS3 and PC (so no worries about being "too much" for another platform to handle) and also the most popular one. A decent chunk of them end up being less optimized on the PS3 as a result, with some games (Skyrim being the most high-profile lately) suffering from significant performance issues. Sometimes that even happens with the PC ports.

Keep in mind that sometimes it isn't even laziness or being rushed. Bethesda seems to really regret the issues that the PS3 version of Skyrim launched with, and that are preventing them from releasing DLC on that platform. They worked hard on patches those first few months (I haven't been following them since), and even requested copies of players' save files to personally go through and identify the problems. And yet it's still not as smooth as on the 360.

So... Bad news for everyone who isn't on that bandwagon. We should be able to expect good quality from any exclusives, though, and the "omgHORRIBLE" ports should be relatively uncommon.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#3dougsdad0629Posted 11/28/2012 2:44:31 AM
Regardless of the quality of the port, I really have to question who these games are even targeted at. ME3, Darksiders 2, Arkham City and AC3 are all games that are much better enjoyed if you've played the previous games. If you have, then that means you have a 360 or PS3. If you have one of those consoles, then why would you buy these shoddy ports for $60 on the Wii U, when they are significantly cheaper on 360 and PS3?
---
Dear pessimist and optimist, while you were arguing about whether the glass was half empty or half full, I drank the water. Signed: The Opportunist.
#4TheFlamingCPosted 11/28/2012 2:48:37 AM
It really depends on the effort the dev wants to put into it. We've seen Sumo (Sonic Racing) and Namco Bandai (Tekken) already try, so we know it can be done. Like was mentioned, the main dev platform right now is 360, and due to that less thought is generally put into other versions. Hell, they can even run poorly on computers. Look at GTA IV. Nothing spectacular about it, yet it can run like sludge on PC hardware that's significantly better than the 360's.
---
Nope, don't have a sig. Maybe later.
#5EternalWolfPosted 11/28/2012 2:52:07 AM
Nintendo got some of the best third party developers to get early work experience on their console. The games werent designed for this console, which is why they dont run they why they should, it has very little to do with hardware power or anything like that.

Most developers switched to the PS3 within the last few years to make sure that both versions ran properly. Wii-U is going to be around for awhile and it is going to have titles that will look as good as the new consoles, if for no other reason than because the new consoles will not see a significant increase in graphics quality. Developers are focusing on the pipelines to get their games running faster and smoother and we all know that there are very, very few games that on the 360 and PS3 that actually run properly(no framerate drops, no screen tearing, no pop-in etc...).

Fact is that most developers just arent capable of producing quality titles anymore. Whether its because of talent, budget, fear of making a good game(Capcom literally said Resident Evil should be like Call of Duty and not a Survival Horror game) or the ridiculous demands the publishers put on the developers, you just dont get a quality experience like we got from all the great NES/SNES/GEN/PS1/N64/PS2 games. Hell, for a long time PS3 and 360 games didnt even run in a HD resolution(such as Halo 3). The focus now is to get their technology capable of producing quality titles in time, developers dont want to keep jumping from company to company just to be able to work within a proper environment, they want some stability.

Just because you see Tech Demos of new engines doesnt mean you are going to get the quality level of graphics anywhere near launch. Those arent games, they run on a pre-determined script, like a cutscene, allowing higher quality graphics that look exactly the same each time and run at the exact same speed each time as well. However, once you go real-time you have to cut so much stuff out just to get it playable and you still end up with tons of screen tearing and poor texture streaming. Uncharted didnt run properly, but with more time and experience they were able to get a high quality engine for Uncharted 2.

Its going to be the same thing until the engines reach a true point of stability across all platforms, which will eventually happen. Just like 360 and PS3, exclusives will look and run better early on than multi-platform titles.

Most developers started on the 360 opposed to the PS3 and you had a lot of ports from the last gen on the 360. Since the PS3 was late to the party they got the ports, then within the last few years a lot of major developers either switched to the PS3 for the lead platform or developed the titles simultaneously for each platform. The Wii-U is the first of the next 3 consoles, do you really think developers are not going to get a head start on their engines with the new hardware? Like I said initally, look at the developers that have already come aboard for launch. These are AAA developers bringing over their best work to get a headstart on the next gen.

Pretty sure Nintendo is in good shape when it comes to multi-platform titles.
---
As We Go...
http://i42.tinypic.com/2m82zjm.jpg
#6Devilman_Amon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 3:05:51 AM
EternalWolf posted...

Just because you see Tech Demos of new engines doesnt mean you are going to get the quality level of graphics anywhere near launch. Those arent games, they run on a pre-determined script, like a cutscene, allowing higher quality graphics that look exactly the same each time and run at the exact same speed each time as well. However, once you go real-time you have to cut so much stuff out just to get it playable and you still end up with tons of screen tearing and poor texture streaming.

I kinda was with you but although it is a cut scene, the Agnis Philosphy demo is running on a real time engine that can be edited at any time

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/11/27/watch-square-enix-play-with-lighting-effects-in-agnis-philosophy/

Though they did say this is not possible on 'current consoles'
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#7SocranPosted 11/28/2012 3:19:35 AM(edited)
EternalWolf posted...
(Capcom literally said Resident Evil should be like Call of Duty and not a Survival Horror game)

No they didn't. They mentioned not having the same large audiences that games like Call of Duty had and wanting to change that, but they never said "our game should be like Call of Duty".

Sorry, but you said "literally", so I had to correct you.

Devilman_Amon posted...
EternalWolf posted...

Just because you see Tech Demos of new engines doesnt mean you are going to get the quality level of graphics anywhere near launch. Those arent games, they run on a pre-determined script, like a cutscene, allowing higher quality graphics that look exactly the same each time and run at the exact same speed each time as well. However, once you go real-time you have to cut so much stuff out just to get it playable and you still end up with tons of screen tearing and poor texture streaming.

I kinda was with you but although it is a cut scene, the Agnis Philosphy demo is running on a real time engine that can be edited at any time

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/11/27/watch-square-enix-play-with-lighting-effects-in-agnis-philosophy/

Though they did say this is not possible on 'current consoles'

That's not quite what he means, though. The Zelda Wii U tech demo was also running in real-time, with day and night settings and an option to rotate the camera. But was it done with consideration to how many of those enemies are going to appear on screen at once? Or what additional particle effects will be thrown in when Link uses one of his items? It's still a static situation - it's the reason Elder Scrolls games tend to have so many glitches because of how open-ended and not scripted the game has to be, whereas I assume games like Uncharted probably operate pretty smoothly. (EDIT: Excellent. Skimmed the posts, didn't see the part that specifically said Uncharted didn't run smoothly. Totally didn't make myself look like an idiot there.)
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."