Should I buy Super Mario Bros. Wii U physically or digitally?

#81freutty2Posted 11/28/2012 11:18:10 AM
Now if you were buying a game on digitally on your 3DS. Thats not good. Because what if your brother wanted to play that game on his 3DS? Well he couldn't unless he buys another one. On wii U, what if you decide to sell your wii U? but keep the game? Hmm. GO To GAMESTOP AnD GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!
---
GE: Z:Tael 0193-8910-3838 Conduit 2 : 3138-6925-0692 Pokemon Black:3225-1688-5979
#82TheLoneDigitPosted 11/28/2012 11:18:41 AM
I've been going digital the last few years. It's better for the environment, and I don't want more physical possessions.

I do miss the epic game boxes and manuals PC games used to get back in the day, but I'm willing to give little things like that.

I'm also down with e books. My boxes of books were getting out of hand.
#83BufkusPosted 11/28/2012 11:58:09 AM
7thmagi posted...
Bufkus posted...

If your console breaks, you don't lose ANYTHING that you purchased. Why do people still believe this troll lie? You just send the system back to Nintendo and you get everything back.

And then in 10 years Nintendo stops repairing Wii U consoles. Tough Luck.

Nintendo will never stop replacing Wii U consoles and in 10 years there will probably be a new system to transfer your account to. Your NNID still has your purchase history regardless.

Why the hell would you worry about what happens 10 years from now?
#84BufkusPosted 11/28/2012 12:06:53 PM(edited)
gamereviewgod posted...
Bufkus posted...
I'm 100% digital right now. the only games I will ever buy physically are ones that will never be on the eshop (like Funky Barn).

I get that some people like trading in games they get tired of, but as a collector I would never do that. Plus I did it a long time ago when I was broke and you really get almost nothing for your games. It's really depressing trading in a $50 game you like for basically $5 or less. I even got rid of my entire LOST season 1 dvd set back when Gamestop was buying dvds and I got like $10 for it. Not worth it.

I know some people complain about accounts being tied to systems, but it's not a big deal for me. If my system gets stolen, I have house insurance. If my system dies, I just send it back to Nintendo. I'm not going to buy another one, that would be stupid.

You'll never see those games again if you count on your home insurance to cover your digital purchases. You would need a special rider, and I doubt anyone offers that service.

And it's not just trade ins you're losing (and resale on eBay, to friends, etc.). I don't know why GameStop became the de facto standard or the only quotable thing in resale.

You're giving a whole host of consumer rights by going digital. You can't rent, can't sell, can't trade, can't borrow, and can't own part of the product. Digital isn't about convenience; it's about control. It's so the media companies can sell you their product directly and have full control over what you do with it. That's restrictive.

People only seem to consider resale and not all of the other elements a physical copy brings with it. It's brilliant marketing on the part of media companies, and dangerous for the end user.

Ever read a story about someone being locked out of their content? What happens when you pass on? What happens to that content when servers no longer exist to authenticate it? What happens if you disagree with a policy change on the service? What if the company closes?

None of that is viable right now with physical console or home media.

Tin foil hat much? You are quick to bring up scary spooky scenarios but none of that has occurred and there would be a massive revolt if it did occur with one of the major content providers.

The same thing already happened with movies and music and nobody cares.

Besides, in your stolen system scenario, a thief is just as likely to steal physical games as well. I would have to rebuy those too. Truthfully we don't know what Nintendo's policy is when it comes to stolen systems, its possible that they will relinquish your account back provided you can prove it.

But my point is that NNIDs can be transfered, but Nintendo has to be involved in the process. This ridiculous notion that once you create an NNID its tied to that console forever is silly. Your NNID is in Nintendo's database. They can do whatever they want with it, including transfering it to a new system.

Yeah but...that's still a really bloody stupid system compared to how Sony, Microsoft and Valve do it with their own platforms.

Yes it is... But you still don't lose anything when your system breaks. That is a lie that trolls told and people keep believing despite ZERO evidence for it.

A better way to think of it, is that Sony lets you use your PSN account on up to five systems. Nintendo lets you use it on one system. What do you think happens when you've gone through five broken PS3's? You'll probably have to call Sony to get your account reset, which is no different than how you'd handle a situation with Nintendo.
#85Dragon NexusPosted 11/28/2012 12:07:02 PM

Because I can still play my Mega Drive/Playstation/PS2/Xbox/etc games without having to phone the companies up and hope they have my account data still.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#867thmagiPosted 11/28/2012 12:11:10 PM
Bufkus posted...
7thmagi posted...
Bufkus posted...

If your console breaks, you don't lose ANYTHING that you purchased. Why do people still believe this troll lie? You just send the system back to Nintendo and you get everything back.

And then in 10 years Nintendo stops repairing Wii U consoles. Tough Luck.

Nintendo will never stop replacing Wii U consoles and in 10 years there will probably be a new system to transfer your account to. Your NNID still has your purchase history regardless.

I worry about what happens 10 years from now because someday it will be 10 years from now. I still play my SNES, NES, N64, etc.
"Nintendo will never stop replacing Wii U consoles"
What? NEVER? Do they still replace broken NES units? I don't think so.
It's very possible that the next Nintendo system will not have Wii U backwards compatibility, or it will be limited. In this case, your "just transfer" plan will fail. Even if it does have backwards compatibility, Nintendo might not build in system transfers. They could discontinue NNID in favor of something else. I question where you get this certainty that you'll be able to move all of your purchases to a new console, or get your old console replaced in the future.
---
http://z11.invisionfree.com/RealityRevolution/index.php?act=idx
Like Pokemon? Like Dreams? Want to enjoy the friendship of a small community? Stop by.
#87Dragon NexusPosted 11/28/2012 12:17:53 PM
A better way to think of it, is that Sony lets you use your PSN account on up to five systems. Nintendo lets you use it on one system. What do you think happens when you've gone through five broken PS3's? You'll probably have to call Sony to get your account reset, which is no different than how you'd handle a situation with Nintendo.

Well it is different in one reason.
If you went through 5 broken Wii Us you'd have had to call Nintendo 5 times...
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#88CyhortI82Posted 11/28/2012 12:47:49 PM
Never buy a digital game. You never really own it and it takes up hard drive space, something the Wii U doesn't have much of to begin with.
---
TheTygerfire is the love of my life.
I believe in the Straight Edge Savior and the Mizziah I love DLC :)
#89ChronoAcePosted 11/28/2012 1:10:06 PM
LordBowser posted...
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
...you can trade in a physical copy...

Why would you? I can't fathom people 'selling' copies to Gamestop for store credit, and for dimes to the dollar (Not exaggerating).

I've only ever sold one game back, and it was to Funcoland at that. It was Excitebike 64, and it was not because I was bored of the game but it pissed me off so bad that I wanted to sell it because I hated it that much. Even then, I got a decent amount of money back on it.

If you even have the tiniest chance of ever playing a game again, or even mildly enjoy having the game in your library/collection, you shouldn't sell it, ever. I don't understand why people do this. You may as well throw/give them away.

Agreed. I have never sold any of my video games/systems. Not worth it, and odds are if you do sell a game you even mildly liked you will end up buying it again through the virtual console.
#90jakestar0306Posted 11/28/2012 1:38:31 PM
CyhortI82 posted...
Never buy a digital game. You never really own it and it takes up hard drive space, something the Wii U doesn't have much of to begin with.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh God, my sides... that's hilarious!
... You were kidding, right?
Right?
---
Mega Man Powered Up is the best PSP exclusive and you know it.