What will Nintendo's 8th gen console be?

#11lazycomplife(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 10:34:11 AM
1shadetail1 posted...
OK, so folks come here and say idiocy like, "I have a feeling they're going to try to pass the Wii U off as their 8th gen console," *which is clear and blatant trolling*. And yet they pretend that we are the ones being unreasonable when we react to that the way you'd expect normal people to react.

TC is now on my ignore list.

Well it's clearly underpowered. The fact that people are saying things like "it matches the graphics of current gen games" is kind of pathetic.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC: 0691 3070 5643
#12digiblasterPosted 11/28/2012 10:44:19 AM
lazycomplife posted...
1shadetail1 posted...
OK, so folks come here and say idiocy like, "I have a feeling they're going to try to pass the Wii U off as their 8th gen console," *which is clear and blatant trolling*. And yet they pretend that we are the ones being unreasonable when we react to that the way you'd expect normal people to react.

Well it's clearly underpowered. The fact that people are saying things like "it matches the graphics of current gen games" is kind of pathetic.

By the very definition of a generation, the Wii U is 8th Gen. And the graphics are level/somewhat better at launch. We'll see improvements later in the cycle.

And for what it's worth, as I've posted so many times before, the other next gen consoles won't harbour this massive graphical leap people are expecting. It's a stupid move if they do - people need to accept that games are going to focus on new ways to play rather than graphics and raw power.
#13lazycomplife(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 10:57:29 AM
digiblaster posted...
lazycomplife posted...
1shadetail1 posted...

By the very definition of a generation, the Wii U is 8th Gen. And the graphics are level/somewhat better at launch. We'll see improvements later in the cycle.

And for what it's worth, as I've posted so many times before, the other next gen consoles won't harbour this massive graphical leap people are expecting. It's a stupid move if they do - people need to accept that games are going to focus on new ways to play rather than graphics and raw power.

Except that even if consoles move towards innovative ways to play, they should still try to keep up with current graphical standards. What good is a cool controller if no third parties support the console? Nothing that is developed for PS4/720 is going to run on a Wii U.
---
#14Lelouch71Posted 11/28/2012 11:01:18 AM
Quit trolling TC and get over yourself.

The Wii U is an 8th generation console whether you like it or not. The Wii U's successor will be a 9th generation console. What you are saying doesn't make sense.
---
"When you come at the king you best not miss"
#15hko981Posted 11/28/2012 11:01:48 AM
First-generation video game consoles (1972-1977)
APF TV Fun · Color TV Game · Coleco Telstar · Magnavox Odyssey · Pong · Video Pinball

Second-generation video game consoles (1976-1984)
APF-M1000 · Arcadia 2001 · Atari 2600 · Atari 5200 · Bally Astrocade · ColecoVision · Fairchild Channel F · Interton VC 4000/1292 Advanced Programmable Video System · Intellivision · Odyssey˛ · RCA Studio II · SG-1000 · Vectrex · Super Vision 8000 · VTech CreatiVision

Third-generation video game consoles (1983-1992)
Action Max · Amstrad GX4000 · Atari 7800 · Atari XE Games System · Casio PV-1000 · Commodore 64 Games System · Nintendo Entertainment System · SG-1000

Fourth-generation video game consoles (1987-1996)
Philips CD-i · Commodore CDTV · Neo Geo · Sega Genesis · Super A'Can · Super Nintendo Entertainment System · TurboGrafx-16

Fifth-generation video game consoles (1993-2006)
3DO · Amiga CD32 · Atari Jaguar · FM Towns Marty · Nintendo 64 · Neo Geo CD · Pioneer LaserActive · NEC PC-FX · Playdia · PlayStation · Sega Saturn

Sixth-generation video game consoles (1998-2012)
Dreamcast · Nintendo GameCube · PlayStation 2 · Xbox

Seventh-generation video game consoles (2005–Present)
PlayStation 3 · Wii · Xbox 360 · Zeebo

Eighth-generation video game consoles (2012–Present)
Wii U
#16lazycomplife(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 11:06:28 AM
Lelouch71 posted...

The Wii U is an 8th generation console whether you like it or not. The Wii U's successor will be a 9th generation console. What you are saying doesn't make sense.

It makes perfect sense. It might be a good system for playing ports of 360/PS3 games, but it won't carry on into gen 8. Or does nintendo have its own standards for generations that don't apply to current gaming trends? The Wii was basically 6.5 gen, and the Wii U is 7.5 gen.
---
#17blangloisPosted 11/28/2012 11:15:50 AM
hko981 posted...
First-generation video game consoles (1972-1977)
APF TV Fun · Color TV Game · Coleco Telstar · Magnavox Odyssey · Pong · Video Pinball

Second-generation video game consoles (1976-1984)
APF-M1000 · Arcadia 2001 · Atari 2600 · Atari 5200 · Bally Astrocade · ColecoVision · Fairchild Channel F · Interton VC 4000/1292 Advanced Programmable Video System · Intellivision · Odyssey˛ · RCA Studio II · SG-1000 · Vectrex · Super Vision 8000 · VTech CreatiVision

Third-generation video game consoles (1983-1992)
Action Max · Amstrad GX4000 · Atari 7800 · Atari XE Games System · Casio PV-1000 · Commodore 64 Games System · Nintendo Entertainment System · SG-1000

Fourth-generation video game consoles (1987-1996)
Philips CD-i · Commodore CDTV · Neo Geo · Sega Genesis · Super A'Can · Super Nintendo Entertainment System · TurboGrafx-16

Fifth-generation video game consoles (1993-2006)
3DO · Amiga CD32 · Atari Jaguar · FM Towns Marty · Nintendo 64 · Neo Geo CD · Pioneer LaserActive · NEC PC-FX · Playdia · PlayStation · Sega Saturn

Sixth-generation video game consoles (1998-2012)
Dreamcast · Nintendo GameCube · PlayStation 2 · Xbox

Seventh-generation video game consoles (2005–Present)
PlayStation 3 · Wii · Xbox 360 · Zeebo

Eighth-generation video game consoles (2012–Present)
Wii U

That should end any and all debate about all this generation nonsense. It never has and never will have anything to do with the technical abilities of the platform, only the general era within which it was released.

Example: The Neo-Geo is in the same generation as the SNES and Genesis, yet was significantly more powerful than they were. It was still a part of the Fourth Generation despite specifications.

Like it or not, this is the accepted standard for the industry and the very definition of the word generation, which refers only to a timeframe, not any other characteristic.
#18jedistormtroopPosted 11/28/2012 11:18:20 AM
lazycomplife posted...
I have a feeling they're going to try to pass the Wii U off as their 8th gen console. I don't see how or why they'd try to put out another console within the next 5 years.

i like how this troll post gives no positive choices
---
Psn:SneakyDusty1984 Xboxlive: Its Aussie rage
#19ClawiLewakPosted 11/28/2012 11:19:01 AM
lazycomplife posted...
Lelouch71 posted...

It makes perfect sense. It might be a good system for playing ports of 360/PS3 games, but it won't carry on into gen 8. Or does nintendo have its own standards for generations that don't apply to current gaming trends? The Wii was basically 6.5 gen, and the Wii U is 7.5 gen.

Can you elaborate for us all and please post the standards that need to be met for a console to be classed as next gen.

Everyone disagreeing with the wii u being "next gen" seem to go on about Nintendo having its own rules. But when has there ever been any rules for any of them.

"Next gen" is just a tag line for marketing.
#20justin_mcPosted 11/28/2012 12:04:35 PM
lazycomplife posted...
digiblaster posted...
lazycomplife posted...
1shadetail1 posted...

Except that even if consoles move towards innovative ways to play, they should still try to keep up with current graphical standards. What good is a cool controller if no third parties support the console? Nothing that is developed for PS4/720 is going to run on a Wii U.

You're either misinformed or delusional. They will be roughly 3 to 4 times as powerful as the Wii U(which is probably around 2 to 2.5 times as powerful as the 360/PS3 due to more efficient architecture and a solid GPU), and well within the realm of being able to receive ports, which should be much easier since it looks like all 8th gen systems(which includes the Wii U despite your inability to accept that fact) are going to use lower clocked OoO CPUs and more capable GPUs. The only problem I see the Wii U having is the relatively slow RAM, which could end up being a bottleneck even with the large amount of eDRAM.