Wii U - How's the Backwards Compatibility?

#1Hotel_SecurityPosted 11/29/2012 9:39:52 AM
Hello Wii U owners…just a quick question….how’s the backwards compatibility?

I’m asking because I never got a Wii but there’s a number of Wii games I want to play and I always planned on buying a Wii for cheap to play them. But now I read that the Wii U is backwards compatible…but how good?

I only ask because the PS3 and 360 supposedly both have backward compatibility as well but both are really hit or miss where some games would freeze or fail and many games couldn’t be played at all. Now Nintendo’s usually better with the quality of their products but I figured I would ask to be sure.

Anyone played a bunch of old Wii games on their Wii U? If it works just the same, I can skip a Wii altogether and just grab a Wii U to play the old Wii games. Any help is appreciated.
#2themoth2112Posted 11/29/2012 9:42:08 AM
Exactly like Wii I've heard, though it upscales them to hd
---
mothmusic.tumblr.com
#3jamie0003Posted 11/29/2012 9:42:09 AM
It has a wii menu emulator that you use to play Wii games, plays Wii games perfectly and I read that it also outputs your games in 1080p res, making them look a little better. Also compatible with all accessories etc.
#4jjgatorPosted 11/29/2012 10:10:20 AM
themoth2112 posted...

Does it? It looks pretty much the same to me(then again, I don't have a 1080p TV, it supports 720p and 1080i though).
---
PSN: jjgator
#5Phantom_Opera_GPosted 11/29/2012 10:17:07 AM
jamie0003 posted...
It has a wii menu emulator that you use to play Wii games, plays Wii games perfectly and I read that it also outputs your games in 1080p res, making them look a little better. Also compatible with all accessories etc.

even the Madcatz Tatsunoko Vs Capcom fightstick?
---
Holy Diver You're the star of the masquerade
No need to look so afraid
#6stekim40Posted 11/29/2012 10:20:48 AM
themoth2112 posted...

FALSE!

It emulates the Wii just fine but there's no upscaling.
---
Playing: Xcom:EU, Dishonoured, Borderlands 2, F1 2012
Waiting for: ELITE 4 (still), GTA V, Far Cry 3, Dragon Age 3
#7godslayer61Posted 11/29/2012 10:22:01 AM
Hotel_Security posted...
Hello Wii U owners…just a quick question….how’s the backwards compatibility?

I’m asking because I never got a Wii but there’s a number of Wii games I want to play and I always planned on buying a Wii for cheap to play them. But now I read that the Wii U is backwards compatible…but how good?

I only ask because the PS3 and 360 supposedly both have backward compatibility as well but both are really hit or miss where some games would freeze or fail and many games couldn’t be played at all. Now Nintendo’s usually better with the quality of their products but I figured I would ask to be sure.

Anyone played a bunch of old Wii games on their Wii U? If it works just the same, I can skip a Wii altogether and just grab a Wii U to play the old Wii games. Any help is appreciated.

i only bought one wii game so far zelda twilight princes and it looks realy good ,i have no complaints i have been playing that more than my zombie u.
---
psn-kish1975 ----------xbox live-godslayer1975------------------wii u-kish1975
#8jjgatorPosted 11/29/2012 10:37:10 AM(edited)
stekim40 posted...
themoth2112 posted...

FALSE!

It emulates the Wii just fine but there's no upscaling.

I didn't think there was. I few people on this board are saying it is.
---
#9Hotel_Security(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2012 10:39:46 AM
Wow, a number of good answers. Frankly, I'm not concerned about it upscaling the games...I don't have an HD TV anyway...just as long as they run correctly.

I assume the games all play well though?...I'll probably just skip the Wii and grab a Wii U then.
#10jjgatorPosted 11/29/2012 10:40:58 AM
http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=190931
---