Here's why the reviews for Zombi U shouldn't matter to you as a gamer

#1SpacedDuckPosted 11/29/2012 11:09:41 AM
I had another topic that was modded and taken down for apparently being off topic even though this board is overrun with off topic posts every day.

In that topic I asked people to list one game that received horrible reviews from various websites that they still loved and were glad they purchased.

On topic, Zombi U received many bad reviews as well as good reviews.

So what were some other games other than Zombi U that received bad scores that you really enjoyed and were glad you ignored the bad press?

For me, Zombi U and The Outfit from the XBOX 360 stand out as I've spent countless hours in both enjoying myself.
---

Keep/Kept the Faith! Forever a member of Red Sox Nation!
#2lgiPosted 11/29/2012 11:39:17 AM
I think reviews matter. If you take a look at gametrailers.com reviews, they criticize some technical issues and questionable game design. Good reviews will mention things like that, replay value, presentation, and so on. It's not just "Well, I think the game is cool" like you see on many gamer reviews.
#3thefabregas22Posted 11/29/2012 11:41:40 AM
I loved god hand and that got similar review scores to zombi u
---
Steam thefabregas22
Psn Admiral Classy Let's got down to the dirty!
#4lgiPosted 11/29/2012 11:47:15 AM
I loved Kane and Lynch 2, and that got horrible reviews. But I still agree with a lot of them. The game was terrible on many technical aspects. A lot of reviews will tell you that. But I like the story line, the gritty setting, and the characters themselves. Those are things that you can't really rate.
#5guedesbrawlPosted 11/29/2012 11:49:16 AM
castlevania judgment
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#6noutBrPosted 11/29/2012 12:36:03 PM(edited)
I read as much reviews as I can and watch video reviews and trailers of any game I'm even remotely interested in. After reading a review I generally take the score with a big grain of salt because gaming is very subjective to taste, past experiences and all kinds of other things that can make you like something more or less.

Like the review on Kotaku of Sonic & Allstars Racing Transformed. The reviewer clearly didn't like the game and game it a NO (they don't score games with numbers, just a YES or NO) but after reading the entire review I found that the reasons why he disliked the game were all things that I like about games. I have now bought the game and I'm glad I did :)

Well....the tons of positive comments about the game and other glaring reviews also helped in my decision to buy the game :P

EDIT: Forgot the original topic hehe, I noticed that the Mega Man Battle Network and Star Force games generally get bad or mediocre reviews while those two series are among my favourite RPG games (especially MMBN).
---
m e g a m a n f o r e v e r
#7hellbringherPosted 11/29/2012 12:40:27 PM
Game gets bad score.
Gamer buys game anyway.
Gamer plays game.
Gamer regrets purchase.
Gamer logs onto gamefaqs.
Gamer makes reassurance topic.
Gamer spends all night lurking topic.
Gamer still hates game.
Gamer calls GameStop for trade in value.
Gamer calls game a rental.
Gamer says it was fun for what it was.

Ps. You can thank me for helping make this topic stay on the first page longer.
---
Regular Show >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Adventure Time
#8nimerjm37Posted 11/29/2012 1:13:33 PM
hellbringher posted...
Game gets bad score.
Gamer buys game anyway.
Gamer plays game.
Gamer regrets purchase.
Gamer logs onto gamefaqs.
Gamer makes reassurance topic.
Gamer spends all night lurking topic.
Gamer still hates game.
Gamer calls GameStop for trade in value.
Gamer calls game a rental.
Gamer says it was fun for what it was.

Ps. You can thank me for helping make this topic stay on the first page longer.

Every single thing about this post is right. Even the sig. Bravo, sir!
---
Never, EVER order ANYTHING from ConsoleSource.com. EVER. You have been warned.
#9hypermoePosted 11/29/2012 1:20:38 PM
I could see why it was modded for being off topic. You are asking for any game that got a bad review whch could be anything from Atari, to NES, to N64, PS1, and beyond. In all honesty this is the reason why i dont allow others to make my purchase. What people forget when reading a review is that its one person opinion about the game. They might not have liked it for personal reasons. Why people are always like this when a game they like and enjoy gets bad scores is just rediculous. Is ZombiU a bad game, probably not. I personally cannot say because i dont own the game yet. I plan to pick it up soon because i saw gameplay footage, and its a genre i think i would enjoy. Not because it got the best or worse scores by some people.
---
I walk alone in the universe as the last of The Time Lords!
#10GeminiX7Posted 11/29/2012 1:25:26 PM
If your opinions matter, and you feel the need to let other people know what your opinion is, then reviews matter. No one but trolls(and fanboys when review go in thier favor) believes that reviews are the end-all, be-all, "only aspect that matters", but that isn't to say that the input from an outside source doesn't mean anything. Most of these reviews are in depth, and give the author's reasoning as to why he does or doesn't like the game.

Yes, watch gameplay videos, play demos, but that doesn't cover everything. A game play video won't tell you how controls for a game feel. A demo only shows you a snippet of the game, usually as an unfinished product. A review might let you know that the pretty game you've been watching on YT moves like the characters is made from old shopping carts. It might let you know that the cool set piece scene that you play through in the demo is little more than an island in a sea of mundane activities.

They should all be used as a way of forming your own opinion. When you write a report or complete a school project, you don't take the first thing you hear from a random commenter as fact, but you also don't completely ignore the information given from other sources, even if they disagree from your personal opinion.
---
"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."