NSMBU: Best Mario game since SMW

#1SpiegaPosted 11/29/2012 6:14:35 PM
It really is, I think. The game has a ton of variety with all the powerups and now, baby yoshis and regular yoshi.

The powerups like the acorn are very good, but the level designs are built with them in mind, so you can't really abuse them all that much. The difficulty is spot on, it starts off seemingly easy but as you progress further, things can get hard. I found myself dying multiple times on the same level (the ghost ship was one) and I was actually trying my best. That never happened in the other NSMB's I've played. Also, the game is moderately generous with the extra lives. Before, it was always so easy to farm lives. You would probably reach x99 without actually attempting to grind for them in past games, but here its not that easy. The extra live mini games are difficult to get more than +2 lives on.

What I love most about this game though is that they were able to blend the classic elements of the older Mario games with the new style. It came out really good. Playing imagine playing a modern SMW in HD graphics with beautiful backgrounds and worlds to run around in, and you have NSMBU.
#2Phange 2Posted 11/29/2012 6:49:22 PM
I hate when people say this.

Mainly because SMW2: Yoshi's Island was clearly better than SMW.
---
Bacon.
Playstation Network: Phange
#3Nok817Posted 11/29/2012 6:52:37 PM
The more I hear people say that the more I want to get it...but I didn't like the one for the Wii. I owned it a couple times actually and never really liked it, a whole different feel to mario games. Is NSMBU a lot different?
---
Proud WiiU Owner
Currently Playing- Black Ops 2
#4goemon1977Posted 11/29/2012 6:53:15 PM
I agree that it is more enjoyable than SMW, but like the other poster said...Yoshi's Island is the better game by far. I really hope to see it in some form on the Wii U.
---
It's the Great Space Coaster!
#5TAoRPosted 11/29/2012 6:54:55 PM
Phange 2 posted...
I hate when people say this.

Mainly because SMW2: Yoshi's Island was clearly better than SMW.

This. So much this.
---
Oh, oh, oh ice-cold milk and an oreo cookie...
#62wingedangelPosted 11/29/2012 6:55:05 PM
Let's let Miyamoto decide on that; SMW is his favorite Mario game, and he MADE the damn franchise!
---
Lover of all things cute and pretty. <3
Black 2 FC: 4213-1800-0462
#7Banjo2553Posted 11/29/2012 6:56:02 PM
Nok817 posted...
The more I hear people say that the more I want to get it...but I didn't like the one for the Wii. I owned it a couple times actually and never really liked it, a whole different feel to mario games. Is NSMBU a lot different?

After having played it, it's probably the most different out of the other NSMB games, but it still feels same-y in some parts.

The level design is top-notch though, and the secret exits seem quite a lot more hidden. The interconnected world helps make it feel like SMW. The gameplay and physics are basically the exact same though.
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
#8dreamkaster64Posted 11/29/2012 6:57:12 PM
goemon1977 posted...
I agree that it is more enjoyable than SMW, but like the other poster said...Yoshi's Island is the better game by far. I really hope to see it in some form on the Wii U.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/28/yoshi-land-wii-u-outed-on-retail-sites/
---
unleashed > colors
#9Nok817Posted 11/29/2012 7:00:38 PM
I might check it out then, I'm actually trading Nintendo Land in to a local game store and they're giving me $38 store credit for it, lol.I think it's a good deal.
---
Proud WiiU Owner
Currently Playing- Black Ops 2
#10nilesthebravePosted 11/29/2012 7:01:33 PM
Yoshi's Island does kick ass. I don't rate SMB3, SMW, or YI in any particular order because they're all fantastic and all made for hours of enjoyment as a kid, but NSMBU is definitely up there with them.
---
Anti-boner is a dangerous material. I isolated pure anti-boner and that is the reason why Germany has negative population growth.-Benamingaska