Nintendo keeps resorting to gimmicks to stay relevant but it wont work this time

#61leopoldsharkPosted 11/30/2012 1:05:15 AM
Having a gimmick is fine but you have to be able to make normal games too. I got a Wii later in its life cycle for 150 and I have about 10 or so games for it (Okami, both No More Heroes, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Madworld, Metroid Prime Trilogy, RE4, Twilight Princess, Xenoblade, Monster Hunter 3 Tri, and Sonic Colors) and its not the complete list I want, but I don't regret it at all.

The problem with the Wii was that it's motion controls were hard to develop for so there wasn't very much interest from third-party developers (aside from the admitted shovelware). It also didn't have enough power to run some of the other titles that the Xbox 360 or PS3 could run.

Of that long list of games, after removing all the games that were available on other platforms and admittedly were better either due to a more powerful system or standard controls instead of motion controls, the list shrinks. But it is still big enough to keep any gamer (at least myself) satisfied.

With the Wii U I don't think they will be making quite the same mistakes by not designing the games around a gimmicky control scheme. From what it looks like, the Gamepad won't be shoehorned into every single game and in the games that it is in, the Gamepad will add something that a standard control scheme can't do (or would be easier to do than a standard control scheme). That is how to properly add a "gimmick". The problem with the motion controls is for many games, it didn't add anything and was just a poor substitute for a standard button input. They just need to accommodate for those gamers who prefer a standard control scheme and not force motion controls on them.

I hope its power won't prevent developers from bringing multiplat games on Microsoft and Sony's future systems to the Wii U. I also hope that third parties will bring more quality games to the Wii U and embrace the functionality of the Gamepad to positively differ the Wii U version from its competitors. I do not have a Wii U now, but I plan to get one in the future once some of the bigger titles are released.
#62Unbridled9Posted 11/30/2012 1:40:57 AM
How many of you even know what shovelware even IS? I'll give you a BIG hint. Shovelware is NOT a game that gets ranked highly and well-recieved.

Shovelware is when someone makes a game in an attempt to cash in quick on a fad. Usually containing half-baked ideas and hyping up one particular aspect in an attempt to draw the consumers eye. Here is a good example of Wii shovelware: http://www.xgn.nl/images/boxarts/wii/big/chicken-shoot.jpg

Now, don't get me wrong, the Wii DOES have shovelware for sure, but there is a HUGE gap between 'not really noteworthy' and 'shovelware'. Heck, if you want shovelware, how many PS3 or Xbox games exist only because of cheap online cash-ins?
---
If you love a person, it doesn't matter if they cheat.
If you love a person, you won't cheat.
#63AgitoXIIIPosted 11/30/2012 1:49:10 AM
MarioGalaxy2 posted...
DemonDog666 posted...
MANTI5 posted...
The ONLY company that has anything to worry about is Sony. Their gaming division is tanking, their stocks have been downgraded to junk status, and the vita is a complete failure. They can't afford another ps3 so they are in deep trouble this gen. Could be their last console.

I don't know about you but I'd rather have a low selling console with good games then a high selling console with crappy gimmicks forced in every game and very few worthwhile games.

Your right the only good games the Wii had were:

1 Super Mario Galaxy
2 Super Mario Galaxy 2
3 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
4 World of Goo
5 Super Smash Bros. Brawl
6 The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
7 Xenoblade Chronicles
8 Rayman Origins
9 Metroid Prime Trilogy
10 Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
11 Okami
12 Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
13 Cave Story
14 Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10
15 Art of Balance
16 New Super Mario Bros. Wii
17 Donkey Kong Country Returns
18 Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
19 Little King's Story
20 Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
21 LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias
22 Bomberman Blast
23 Kirby's Epic Yarn
24 Boom Blox Bash Party
25 Fluidity
26 Punch-Out!!
27 Tetris Party
28 Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
29 Super Paper Mario
30 Boom Blox
31 Kirby's Return to Dream Land
32 Excitebots: Trick Racing
33 Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11
34 Pro Evolution Soccer 2009
35 Monster Hunter Tri
36 No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
37 Bit.Trip Complete
38 Swords & Soldiers
39 Rhythm Heaven Fever
40 No More Heroes
41 MLB Power Pros
42 Mega Man 9
43 Tales of Monkey Island
44 WarioWare: Smooth Moves
45 And Yet It Moves
46 Bully: Scholarship Edition
47 Pro Evolution Soccer 2008
48 Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People
49 Dead Space: Extraction
50 Trauma Team
51 Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection
52 NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits
53 Sonic Colors
54 Mario Kart Wii
55 Art Style: ORBIENT
56 de Blob
57 Mega Man 10
58 Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
59 Dawn of Discovery
60 Bit.Trip Flux
61 GoldenEye 007
62 MadWorld
63 escapeVektor: Chapter 1
64 LostWinds
65 Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
66 Muramasa: The Demon Blade
67 Wario Land: Shake It!
68 Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
69 LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
70 Wii Sports Resort
71 Red Steel 2
72 A Boy and His Blob
73 Bit.Trip Beat
74 Trauma Center: Second Opinion
75 The Last Story
76 Geometry Wars: Galaxies
77 Wii Fit
78 Bit.Trip Core
79 Rune Factory Frontier
80 Rabbids Go Home
81 NBA Jam
82 Metroid: Other M
83 Blast Works: Build, Trade, Destroy
84 Bit.Trip Void
85 Toki Tori
86 Mario Strikers Charged
87 LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
88 The House of the Dead: Overkill
89 Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
90 de Blob 2
91 Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth

Yes motion controls this generation could of been better implemented.

But still a lot of people underrate how awesome the Wii is.

Spoken like a true fanboy.

Half the games u put in that list are sports games. Then u put in some games that are multiplat.

Wait, I just noticed u put in METROID OTHER M. You have lost all credibility.

Just STFU.
---
FINAL FANTASY XV
Please be a great game, we need you to be one.
#64Shaman_king_yohPosted 11/30/2012 1:57:42 AM
This is an amazingly stupid thread, you should feel sorry for yourself. You actually think that including a screen in the controllers means they have to fully use it for every game? That's just stupid. There's not a single game system that uses all its controller's possibilities for every single game, not even for most of them. That isn't Nintendo, that's the current way game systems work. And same happens to every single part of them, not only the pads, it includes system resources, and even things like Move and Kinect, along with a long list of mostly unused features.

This is just the way the world works now, so if you're just going to be an angry troll, at least don't be that dumb, and LEARN before you speak. It is way better to keep quiet and look dumb, than saying something and making it so obvious.
---
something free: http://notifyurl.com/dontclickhere
#65TheSmegPosted 11/30/2012 1:58:45 AM
They also tried to say Prime 3 was a great game when clearly it, along with other M, ruined Metroid altogether. Metroid being my absolute favourite series for over 15 years took an awful sting with those 2 pieces of trash.

At least Prime 1 and 2 were fun to play, motion controls killed a fantastic trilogy. Why can Nintendo not accept that motion controls are alright, but that doesn't mean sticking it in every single game for no reason.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/IronFistGames
#66darkqueenhelbaPosted 11/30/2012 2:13:30 AM
The sad part of this topic is the TC doesn't even know how to properly analyze history. First, you would need to have a basic comprehension of linguistics. Then, throw out those tired USED, PRE-OWNED arguments and do some individual thought processes of your own.
---
My response to trolls; GET A JOB!!!
#67IcecreamdunwichPosted 11/30/2012 2:22:43 AM
At least it will never be so gimmicky as to put "XXX" before and after their system and game names.

Yep, instead they will add U to the end of the game names.
#68GAMER_X_REVIVALPosted 11/30/2012 2:28:34 AM
MarioGalaxy2 posted...
DemonDog666 posted...
MANTI5 posted...
The ONLY company that has anything to worry about is Sony. Their gaming division is tanking, their stocks have been downgraded to junk status, and the vita is a complete failure. They can't afford another ps3 so they are in deep trouble this gen. Could be their last console.

I don't know about you but I'd rather have a low selling console with good games then a high selling console with crappy gimmicks forced in every game and very few worthwhile games.

Your right the only good games the Wii had were:

1 Super Mario Galaxy
2 Super Mario Galaxy 2
5 Super Smash Bros. Brawl
6 The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
7 Xenoblade Chronicles
8 Rayman Origins
10 Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
11 Okami
12 Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
17 Donkey Kong Country Returns
20 Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
23 Kirby's Epic Yarn
26 Punch-Out!!
28 Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
29 Super Paper Mario
31 Kirby's Return to Dream Land
35 Monster Hunter Tri
36 No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
40 No More Heroes
42 Mega Man 9
53 Sonic Colors
54 Mario Kart Wii
57 Mega Man 10
62 MadWorld
65 Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
66 Muramasa: The Demon Blade
75 The Last Story
79 Rune Factory Frontier
91 Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth

And after filtering out wiiware shovelware, disc based shovel ware, waggle ware, rehashed wii titles, and just plain mediocre titles and games that were already on other platforms, the list is brought down to 29 titles

29 games over the course of SIX. GODDAMN. YEARS.

These games weren't properly spread across these years, but if they had been, it would of been about 5 decent games a year. Thats ****ing terrible.

The Wii was a paperweight and a poor investment. Honestly now is probably the only good time to get one now that after 6 years it has a handful of a library of games to play that can justify the price they want for its old ass.
---
Guardian Gamer X
"CE's verbal cruelty is only matched by an eight-armed robot beating multiple baby seals."-PursuitandTie
#69DynheartPosted 11/30/2012 2:40:34 AM(edited)
The list was of good games, right. Good.

Now you tear the man apart because they aren't AAA titles or above. Tell you what...The PS3 doesn't have 91 AAA titles worth mentioning either, because there aren't that many. May come close, but a lot of them are duds (but you can add in AA titles and mid level developed titles to make a great list).

That's a respectable list. But we are talking good games on the Wii. So what if they are multiplat. It's on the Wii, correct? If you pull some dumb argument about 1st party of some ****, then you're arguing for the sake of arguing.

As for games. I don't see why people feel the need to judge other peoples list of games/tastes. I may find your library the most boring/waste of money out there. I don't care if they are AAA titles with 9.0+ scores; as we have found out scores in this day and age mean crap (mostly 10s across the board for GTA IV.......AND Skyward Sword).

In short...you all are *****ing about nothing. If I like the color purple and you like red...you sure as hell can't convince me that red is better...just because it got a .8 more in the review dept. I like Purple! Quit hatin' Should go for some of this Wii games...people like them, get off their nuts for god sake.
---
Currently suffering Final Fantasy XIII-2
#70AgitoXIIIPosted 11/30/2012 2:48:39 AM
Dynheart posted...
The list was of good games, right. Good.

Now you tear the man apart because they aren't AAA titles or above. Tell you what...The PS3 doesn't have 91 AAA titles worth mentioning either, because there aren't that many. May come close, but a lot of them are duds (but you can add in AA titles and mid level developed titles to make a great list).

That's a respectable list. But we are talking good games on the Wii. So what if they are multiplat. It's on the Wii, correct? If you pull some dumb argument about 1st party of some ****, then you're arguing for the sake of arguing.

As for games. I don't see why people feel the need to judge other peoples list of games/tastes. I may find your library the most boring/waste of money out there. I don't care if they are AAA titles with 9.0+ scores; as we have found out scores in this day and age mean crap (mostly 10s across the board for GTA IV.......AND Skyward Sword).

In short...you all are *****ing about nothing. If I like the color purple and you like red...you sure as hell can't convince me that red is better...just because it got a .8 more in the review dept. I like Purple! Quit hatin' Should go for some of this Wii games...people like them, get off their nuts for god sake.

Oh please, give it a rest. We have every right to have an issue with that trash list. That dude did what ive seen sooo many times on this site. And that's see some big eyed fanboy try to make a list of great games for the Wii and ends up just listing off a bunch of games that have no buisness being there.

Everybody on planet earth knows good darn well Metroid: Other M is complete garbage. Mega Man 9 was multiplat. etc

At the very least, Sony some new and original titles that were liked by critics and gamers alike. Not to say they were best, but were original and decent. Nintendo barely does that.
---
FINAL FANTASY XV
Please be a great game, we need you to be one.