IGN review is up - 7.6 (good)

#21DTY3Posted 11/30/2012 7:30:42 AM
trenken posted...
BTW I own the U as you can see in my sig, and I agree with the review. Right now I would also grade it somewhere around a 7/10.

But like others have said they are just reviewing it on what it is right now, not on what it may be 2 years from now.

Which is why console reviews are stupid.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/DTY16
GameFAQS users are far too sensitive.
#22DesperateMonkeyPosted 11/30/2012 7:37:45 AM
Quote:These console reviews are generally just a very stupid idea - and even more stupid is to start reviewing a console straight after it's released.
@Mako_eyes

Ur pretty stupid if you think a console should be reviewed any later.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#23trenken(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2012 7:40:33 AM
Ambassador_Kong posted...
trenken posted...
STN79 posted...
Yeah they gave the Vita a much higher score and look where it's at.
Sony products are always better according to IGN. Nintendo is viewed as the outdated dinosaur by most of these reviewers and the general teenage population.

The Vita launch was great. It launched with some high quality original games and the system had 0 flaws so at that time it deserved a good score. Uncharted Golden Abyss was awesome. There's really nothing like that on the Wii U. Theres a 4th NSMB game, a very forgettable zombie game and a bunch of subpar ports. The system has some technical issues although nothing major but points have to come off anyway.

I have a U before anyone thinks about calling me a troll. NID CygnusZero. The U shows some possibilities of what can be done for it, except that there arent exactly many games taking advantage of it. Its pretty much just Nintendo Land which is another minigame collection, NSMB doesnt use it in exciting ways, ZombiU does a couple interesting things but the game is average at best, and the rest of the games dont use it, or use it as just an item selection or map screen, which we've already seen so many DS games do with the 2nd screen.

The Vita on the other hand was as advertised at launch. The screen was ridiculously amazing, and there were some rock solid original launch titles, so it was a portable PS3 which is all it ever claimed to be and that should earn it a good score. Where it is right now is irrelevant to the quality of the system. Its too much to spend on a handheld for many people so its not selling well, but it will eventually and the system is really great regardless of sales. Just needs a price drop of $50-80 or so and some more games.

Zero flaws? What about the back touch screen which most people hate? What about the frequent crashes and subpar third party support? What about the fact that the system didn't launch with the ability to play PSP and ps1 games? What about the expensive (and slow) proprietary memory cards? What about the fact that internal memory is an industry standard and Sony just decided it wanted to sell more expensive memory cards? What about the lack of gorilla glass on an unprotected screen?

The Vita was far from flawless. I think your inner fanboy is showing.

Hating it is one thing, that doesnt make it a flaw though. It works fine and I found it very useful in Uncharted and MGS collection, where it functioned as the L2/R2 buttons since the system doesnt actually have them like a dual shock.

It works fine and there are some interesting uses of it in some games where you touch the back panel and it actually changes the floor you're walking on, just as one example.

Trust me Im critical of the Vita, mostly due to lack of games but its a new system. Many system experience this. I didnt think the 3DS was worth owning until fairly recently, and I bought it at launch.

Same with the U. No games are really exciting me, but I see potential, and I also see how it could have been better, so a 7-8 is a VERY fair score IMO. I cant sit here and say this launch was better than the Vita's.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#24The_OllynatorPosted 11/30/2012 7:43:41 AM
Quote:These console reviews are generally just a very stupid idea - and even more stupid is to start reviewing a console straight after it's released.
@Mako_eyes

[You're] pretty stupid if you think a console should be reviewed any later.

I personally don't have issue with review scores as a whole, for games or hardware, but it's very silly to try and put a number on it, even though we all try to do it. Hardware is just much harder to give a relevant score to because it's something that will be played and used for 5+ years generally, whereas games are more like 5 days-5 weeks on average. A game isn't going to evolve over it's life, unlike a console.

Then again, many of these reviews are intended to be 'launch' scores, even though many people are treating it like a lifetime score or a reviewer's guess at how many units will sell.
---
"The next statement is true. The previous statement was false." ~ Stephen Colbert
3DS FC: 3308-4568-6063 (Olly) NNID: Omega613 (Olly)
#25DrRMPosted 11/30/2012 7:51:07 AM(edited)
trenken posted...
DrRM posted...
I find some thing misleading and wrong.

like the headset thing. he make it sound like you have to pay for expensive 3rd party ones when in fact any headset with mic work for it (even your phone ones).

He is right though, the mic on the gamepad wont work which is just bazaar, so you do need external ones. If you already have them then great but a lot of people dont and those people will need to spend more money to voice chat.

have you used one with the U.G pad?_?

I don't thinks so. if you have you should notice that you DO use the pad mic not the headset one.

the reason it need a mic is pure compatibility ( same reason laptops have a mic plug and a plain headset one).

and why use headset at all you say?_?

to reduce voice echo and game sounds mess that form thanks to mic and speakers proximity.

EDIT: before someone nitpick. I was talking about the regular ones ( like the ones for your phone).
---
"He aqui mi secreto, que no puede ser mas simple : solo con el corazon se puede ver bien; lo esencial es invisible para los ojos."
#26Ambassador_KongPosted 11/30/2012 10:16:12 AM
trenken posted...
Ambassador_Kong posted...
trenken posted...
STN79 posted...

The Vita on the other hand was as advertised at launch. The screen was ridiculously amazing, and there were some rock solid original launch titles, so it was a portable PS3 which is all it ever claimed to be and that should earn it a good score. Where it is right now is irrelevant to the quality of the system. Its too much to spend on a handheld for many people so its not selling well, but it will eventually and the system is really great regardless of sales. Just needs a price drop of $50-80 or so and some more games.

Zero flaws? What about the back touch screen which most people hate? What about the frequent crashes and subpar third party support? What about the fact that the system didn't launch with the ability to play PSP and ps1 games? What about the expensive (and slow) proprietary memory cards? What about the fact that internal memory is an industry standard and Sony just decided it wanted to sell more expensive memory cards? What about the lack of gorilla glass on an unprotected screen?

The Vita was far from flawless. I think your inner fanboy is showing.

Hating it is one thing, that doesnt make it a flaw though. It works fine and I found it very useful in Uncharted and MGS collection, where it functioned as the L2/R2 buttons since the system doesnt actually have them like a dual shock.

It works fine and there are some interesting uses of it in some games where you touch the back panel and it actually changes the floor you're walking on, just as one example.

Trust me Im critical of the Vita, mostly due to lack of games but its a new system. Many system experience this. I didnt think the 3DS was worth owning until fairly recently, and I bought it at launch.

Same with the U. No games are really exciting me, but I see potential, and I also see how it could have been better, so a 7-8 is a VERY fair score IMO. I cant sit here and say this launch was better than the Vita's.

Well, you said it launched with 0 flaws which isn't being "critical", it's a gushing (and unwarented) review. It also ignores the reality that it was not launched as advertised. Basic, promised features were late to be implemented and, in some cases, still not implemented. It also promised to offer console gaming on the go which it has not done.

Also, the Vita is not a portable PS3 which is why the Uncharted and Assassin's Creed games are gimped versions of their console brethren (I won't even get into the abominations that are the Resistance and COD games). The Vita can't even handle a PS3 Lego game and get's ports of the DS versions. So, with all due respect, the Vita did not launch with 0 flaws.

You then went on to call ZombieU "forgettable" and it is forgettable, if by forgettable you mean a true return to survival horror and one of the hardest games to be released on a system in years. Nintendoland is a fantastic introduction to the possibilities of the game pad and my kids have been playing it non-stop since release. I'm not sure how you consider Mass Effect 3 and Assassin's Creed 3 "subpar" because they are just as good as the PS360 versions. Two games have been less than stellar and they were Batman and COD. I imagine though, if the developers actually learn how to utilize the architecture of the WiiU, then these framerate issues should disappear.

The reality is that the WiiU is not perfect but it came to market more fully realized than the PS Vita.

t
---
First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. by Mahatma Gandhi.
#27freutty2Posted 11/30/2012 10:29:29 AM
I don't trust any video game review company one bit.
Yep, The Last Story is a horrible game! - Destuctoid
Yep, CoD is truly the best CoD in the series! - IGN
The most anticipated game in history! (MW3 trailer) Now that's just plain stupid
Skyrim is SO GOOD! ITS FLAWLESS! I LOVE THIS GAME! - Just a common a reviewer. Don't know who.
ect.
---
GE: Z:Tael 0193-8910-3838 Conduit 2 : 3138-6925-0692 Pokemon Black:3225-1688-5979