Wii U's cpu may not be exactly a Broadway with 3 cores.

#11DynheartPosted 11/30/2012 11:34:54 AM
DGM09 posted...
At the very least, it's almost as powerful as the 360's and PS3's CPU when used in the same way. Dunno if they might be able to draw out more power of the CPU by using it how it should be used.

No way you're getting the same power as a Cell, that's for sure. That thing's ridiculous to the point that you can link several PS3s together and form a mini super-computer by having them do parallel processing.

That's not to say the CPU is bad, it likely isn't.

It's about efficiency with the Wii U guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKF9GOE2q38

This the rule they are applying with the Wii U. I'm sure Nintendo knows what they are doing.
---
Currently suffering Final Fantasy XIII-2
#12DGM09Posted 11/30/2012 11:36:46 AM
I'm not even talking about clock vs clock.
---
Bang.
#13CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 11/30/2012 11:37:15 AM
DGM09 posted...
That thing's ridiculous to the point that you can link several PS3s together and form a mini super-computer by having them do parallel processing.

Is that at all useful for gaming?
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#14DGM09Posted 11/30/2012 11:37:57 AM

It would be if they had gotten around to program properly for it.
---
Bang.
#15thundercat2600Posted 11/30/2012 11:38:46 AM
Fierce_Deity777 posted...
So this would mean that the CPU is much stronger than the trolls on the board are making it out to be, right?

The entire Wii U CPU is the same size as ONE of the 3 cores in the Xbox 360. Both are made on a 45 nm process. So no, there is just no way it can be "much stronger".

You guys are really grasping at straws here. This is exactly the same thing that happened with the Wii launch. Fanboys ignored the obvious reality and kept insisting that Wii held some kind of secret power inside that we could find if we just looked hard enough.

You were wrong then. You're wrong now. Stop embarrassing yourself.
#16CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 11/30/2012 11:42:14 AM
thundercat2600 posted...
So this would mean that the CPU is much stronger than the trolls on the board are making it out to be, right?

The entire Wii U CPU is the same size as ONE of the 3 cores in the Xbox 360. Both are made on a 45 nm process. So no, there is just no way it can be "much stronger".

You guys are really grasping at straws here. This is exactly the same thing that happened with the Wii launch. Fanboys ignored the obvious reality and kept insisting that Wii held some kind of secret power inside that we could find if we just looked hard enough.

You have to take transistor density into account if you're going to be comparing the physical size of the things.

And even then I'm not sure exactly how relevant that will be.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#17thundercat2600Posted 11/30/2012 11:46:15 AM
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
thundercat2600 posted...

You have to take transistor density into account if you're going to be comparing the physical size of the things.

As I said, they're both on a 45 nm process so the transistor density should be very similar.
#18CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 11/30/2012 11:47:09 AM
DGM09 posted...

It would be if they had gotten around to program properly for it.

I'm not sure if I buy that still.
I was under the impression that it was consensus that the core processor they used in the PS3 just plain didn't work the way they had envisioned.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#19CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 11/30/2012 11:51:10 AM
thundercat2600 posted...
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
thundercat2600 posted...

As I said, they're both on a 45 nm process so the transistor density should be very similar.

Oh I see.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#20DGM09Posted 11/30/2012 11:53:33 AM(edited)
It truly is extremely powerful. I don't remember exactly what they had envisioned at the start (I only remember the funny claims of dual 1080p @ 60 FPS and whatnot). We have no clue about the actual output of the Wii U's CPU, at the moment, but I believe this might be a case of comparing something like a 980x to a low Ivy Bridge i5 (ie, the architectural leap isn't enough to compensate). I'd be happy to be wrong, though, but I don't see it beating Cell. Something like Cell isn't even truly needed, though. Same deal with Wii U's RAM.
---
Bang.