Fun fact, no one gave a damn about the speeds of the CPU and GPU before this.

#21SexPantherPandaPosted 11/30/2012 10:49:15 AM
googler posted...
They absolutely argued about this before U. Have you never been to the PS3 board?, or seen people troll on 360's forum?
PS3 had a lackluster launch and hardware in some respects so there was an ass-ton of reassurance topics on the PS3 board along with 360 owners trolling them.
Now it was U's turn, with their lackluster launch.

The 360's launch was bad I mean I had fun but still almost all the games were last gen ports, Nfs most wanted, American wasteland, King kong, And the few games that were fun like kameo cod of duty 2 and PDZ where not that great looking back. I played the hell out of amped 3 thou.
#22Sad_FacePosted 11/30/2012 11:04:05 AM
Even when screenshots/videos showed nothing better than current-gen (and sometimes not even as good), when Nintendo used PS3 footage at E3, when Shigeru Miyamoto himself said straight up that Wii U wouldn't dramatically outperform PS3/360, these fanboys STILL KEPT LYING. Over and over and over.

I think what he meant is that we won't see the jump that we had from PS2/Xbox/GC to the PS360. The jump is going to be more traditional, like from PS1/N64 to PS2/GC/Xbox. That sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
#23thundercat2600Posted 11/30/2012 11:07:06 AM
Sad_Face posted...
Even when screenshots/videos showed nothing better than current-gen (and sometimes not even as good), when Nintendo used PS3 footage at E3, when Shigeru Miyamoto himself said straight up that Wii U wouldn't dramatically outperform PS3/360, these fanboys STILL KEPT LYING. Over and over and over.

I think what he meant is that we won't see the jump that we had from PS2/Xbox/GC to the PS360. The jump is going to be more traditional, like from PS1/N64 to PS2/GC/Xbox. That sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

No, that's not what he meant. His exact words were that it won't "dramatically outperform the systems that are out now."
#24BufkusPosted 11/30/2012 11:08:05 AM
SexPantherPanda posted...
RetroFanGirl posted...
The average consumer doesn't care one bit.

Yes they do, they just don't care about it from a fanboy stand point. But they will buy a system if they think it's more powerful because there conditioned that bigger is better. The average consumer is smarter then you think.

Is that why the Wii outsold the PS3 and 360?
#25Sad_FacePosted 11/30/2012 11:10:35 AM
No, that's not what he meant. His exact words were that it won't "dramatically outperform the systems that are out now."

Yeah. Which is in line with what I'm saying. The jump from PS360 to U will not be as big as the last jump. And I expect the PS4/720 to follow suit because it's just too expensive to do another gigantic jump.
#26thundercat2600Posted 11/30/2012 11:13:58 AM
Sad_Face posted...

Yeah. Which is in line with what I'm saying. The jump from PS360 to U will not be as big as the last jump. And I expect the PS4/720 to follow suit because it's just too expensive to do another gigantic jump.

*sigh* that's completely wrong. It's been 7 years since Xbox 360 launched. It will be 8 years by the time 720 launches. Compare that with only 4 years from Xbox -> Xbox 360.

If you're expecting the next gen Sony/MS consoles to be only a small jump, you are lying to yourself.
#27BufkusPosted 11/30/2012 11:17:02 AM
thundercat2600 posted...

If you're expecting the next gen Sony/MS consoles to be only a small jump, you are lying to yourself.

If you're expecting them to be a big leap based on the length of time that has passed, you are lying to yourself or you don't understand how technology works.

There is no way Sony and MS can release super powerful consoles that outperform the latest PC technology without selling it at a massive loss and also charging $600+. Nobody will buy the consoles at that pricepoint, we already saw what the first 1-2 years of those systems looked like.

We are still in a global recession that won't end within the next 4-5 years. Sony and MS are not stupid. They will gimp their next systems to be still more powerful than the WiiU but no more powerful than a mid range PC. They will attempt to offer more gimmicks and more tv integration in an attempt to offer something that a consumer would choose over a tablet or smartphone.
#28Sami1000Posted 11/30/2012 11:17:20 AM
DarkShadowRage posted...
Now when the Wii U releases, everyone is all about the CPU speeds and the power of the GPU, but before not one person actually gave a damn.

i don't know if there ever was console which people had doubts about if it was more powerful than 7-8 year old previous console.
#29Sad_FacePosted 11/30/2012 11:19:24 AM
*sigh* that's completely wrong. It's been 7 years since Xbox 360 launched. It will be 8 years by the time 720 launches. Compare that with only 4 years from Xbox -> Xbox 360.

Everyone is going on about how expensive development is and Sony is down in the red in terms of net worth. I don't think they can afford to make the same jump they did for this past generation. And I never said they'll be making a small jump. I said I expect that they won't be making a jump as big as last generation.
#30BufkusPosted 11/30/2012 11:24:17 AM
Sad_Face posted...

Everyone is going on about how expensive development is and Sony is down in the red in terms of net worth. I don't think they can afford to make the same jump they did for this past generation. And I never said they'll be making a small jump. I said I expect that they won't be making a jump as big as last generation.

If anything, there will barely be a jump at all.
I fully expect Sony and MS to emphasize non-gaming features like TV integration (stealing a page from Nintendo), tablet integration (Smartglass, Vita), voice/live chat features, etc.

Consumers just don't want more of the same. They are tired of spending $500+ on consoles and $60+ on games. This applies to the WiiU too, I fully expect Nintendo to pricedrop next year on both console and games.

There will always be a hardcore market but the hardcore will always be a fraction of the entire market.