Fun fact, no one gave a damn about the speeds of the CPU and GPU before this.

#41Xeeh_BitzPosted 11/30/2012 1:31:58 PM
superal1966 posted...
To be honest the average person still doesn't give a damn about the speeds of CPU and GPU.

Most people care about whether a system has good games or not.

The average person wants to have the best in electronics, only fanboys care about Nintendo exclusives so without those that leaves the power of the system. If the Xbox 720/PS4 has better visuals, it relates to the consumer as a better product.

The Wii sold well due to its really low price, poor people on welfare could afford one.
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#42ElGado2Posted 11/30/2012 1:32:51 PM
DarkShadowRage posted...
Now when the Wii U releases, everyone is all about the CPU speeds and the power of the GPU, but before not one person actually gave a damn.

False. The second I heard it was going to be underpowered I face-palmed.
#43The_Shadow_LinkPosted 11/30/2012 1:38:20 PM
Bit wars say hi.
---
Wanting to become a wolf to end all of my life's problems.
People who agree with me: 37, Comment about it if you agree. ~*Ancient Status*~
#44GM_Posted 11/30/2012 1:42:24 PM
Quote:I guess you're to young to remember past system launches tc because people did care. It's been like this since the Atari versus Intellivision days.
@Kitt Thrust

Back when the only differences were how many colors square blocks were.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#45GeminiX7Posted 11/30/2012 1:42:32 PM
RetroFanGirl posted...
The average consumer doesn't care one bit.

Video game message boards have NEVER, NEVER represented the average consumer, average gamer, or really any demographic ever.
---
"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
#46FoppePosted 11/30/2012 1:42:57 PM
Clock speed means nothing when comparing CPUs across different eras.

The Wii U CPU might be only be 1.2-1.7 GHz, but it's running on more advanced architecture and die size. Not to mention it comes with an assload of eDRAM. Real world performance should put it on par, if not slightly better than other tri-core CPUs running at more than twice the clockspeed. Newer chips tend to be much more efficeint.

It'd be like saying a 3GHz pentium 4 processor would beat out a 1.7 GHz i5 (hint: it won't). Clockspeed means nothing.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#47johnluke728Posted 11/30/2012 1:53:09 PM
Foppe posted...
Clock speed means nothing when comparing CPUs across different eras.

The Wii U CPU might be only be 1.2-1.7 GHz, but it's running on more advanced architecture and die size. Not to mention it comes with an assload of eDRAM. Real world performance should put it on par, if not slightly better than other tri-core CPUs running at more than twice the clockspeed. Newer chips tend to be much more efficeint.

It'd be like saying a 3GHz pentium 4 processor would beat out a 1.7 GHz i5 (hint: it won't). Clockspeed means nothing.

Finally, somebody is actually making sense out of this whole topic! It's not really fair to compare clock speeds across completely different processor architectures.

Nyyark posted...
I'll just leave this here.

http://www.retrogamingaus.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Donkey-Kong-Country-UK-1.jpg

Nice! :D Never saw that before. Did it really take 22 years to render all of DK's frames in the first DKC, or the equivalent of 22 years in man hours? I'm guessing the latter. XD
---
http://shantaefanforums.tk/ <-- Huge fan of the Shantae games? Then you should check the first fan forum that's all about the belly-dancing half-genie!
#48hibbijoPosted 11/30/2012 1:59:46 PM
Clock speed is not the same as performance...
---
JOGU.WEBS.COM
~Is my creative side? >.O
#49Devil_wings00Posted 11/30/2012 2:01:02 PM
Guess someone wasn't around for the "bit wars" where every console manufacturer was trying to out bit the other guy and fool the public into thinking there higher bit system was better by virtue of having more "bits". People have always cared.

At the end of the day it's nintendo's fault for trying to advertise the wii u as "next gen" which makes people assume it's going to be a quantum leap forward graphically (as it has meant in the past). If they would have advertised it about being about the gimmick and not had there PR reps talking about how radically better the thing looks then the 360/ps3, when it doesn't, it wouldn't be as much of a big deal.
---
3570k @ 4.6, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, 2 Mushkin Chronos in raid0, 1TB WD black.
#50Robotron2084Posted 11/30/2012 2:01:47 PM
I care