Sony & Microsoft's response to Wii U

#91Emerald_MeliosPosted 11/30/2012 7:06:17 PM
MANTI5 posted...
I guess this is where we are supposed to say something about gimmick like all the trolls do when it comes to Nintendo?

Correct
#92Big_IsaacPosted 11/30/2012 7:29:24 PM
Sony's dualballs is just sad. I mean, come on. the move already looks stupid enough, but now they're trying to ruin the dualshock, too?

once again, MS' idea is a lot more interesting, if flawed
It would be really neat if it worked (much like the kinect), but I don't see how it is supposed to.

how is this thing going to project an image BEHIND me, when by definition my bronzed physique (and by "bronzed physique" I mean "flabby ass") is kinda sorta going to be in the way?

bottomline, I doubt either of those 2 things will actually happen
the Dualballs because it's ****ing stupid and MS holodeck because the tech isn't there yet
they probably filed those patents just so no one else can steal the idea somewhere down the line
---
Waiting for golden Sun 3DS
2 things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe, though -Albert Einstein
#93RetroFanGirlPosted 11/30/2012 7:34:14 PM
The pitiful reassurance and lamentations of Xbots and Ponies is truly depressing. Wii U has won already, Nintendo never loses, even when Sony always wins babeh.
---
Playing Final Fantasy XII
#94El_ZaggyPosted 11/30/2012 7:38:27 PM
blazeUP12 posted...
Sony is developing a Dual Shock/PS Move hybrid:

http://www.destructoid.com/sony-patents-dualshock-move-hybrid-that-breaks-in-two-239576.phtml

Microsoft is developing a full room hologram projector, extension of Kinect:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/09/microsoft-patent-shows-holodeck-style-full-room-immersive-display/

Should Nintendo be worried?

I dont think that the response to wii u. Its just some random R&d.

I think that sony and microsoft are laughing a lot about nintendo. They probably did more money with software sales on their ps3/360 than nintendo did with the wii hardware, and the trend seems going that way for the new generations.
#95P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 11/30/2012 8:04:10 PM(edited)
El_Zaggy posted...
blazeUP12 posted...
Sony is developing a Dual Shock/PS Move hybrid:

http://www.destructoid.com/sony-patents-dualshock-move-hybrid-that-breaks-in-two-239576.phtml

Microsoft is developing a full room hologram projector, extension of Kinect:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/09/microsoft-patent-shows-holodeck-style-full-room-immersive-display/

Should Nintendo be worried?

I dont think that the response to wii u. Its just some random R&d.

I think that sony and microsoft are laughing a lot about nintendo. They probably did more money with software sales on their ps3/360 than nintendo did with the wii hardware, and the trend seems going that way for the new generations.

Nintendo sold more software then the others as well, inadvertently making more money, especially since the best selling Wii games are first party meaning Nintendo gets a larger cut of profits compared to Microsony and their best selling third party games.
---
Currently Playing: Shenmue2, NSMB2
http://youtu.be/X21mJh6j9i4
#96blazeUP12(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2012 8:04:43 PM
Big_Isaac posted...
how is this thing going to project an image BEHIND me, when by definition my bronzed physique (and by "bronzed physique" I mean "flabby ass") is kinda sorta going to be in the way?

Apparently the camera tracks the player's position so the projector knows not to shine an image at that location.
---
hello earthlings, i am from another planet
#97TiamatKillerPosted 11/30/2012 8:19:14 PM
blazeUP12 posted...
Big_Isaac posted...

Apparently the camera tracks the player's position so the projector knows not to shine an image at that location.

Quite frankly, with the way 'gimmicks' have been the focus of the industry, I'd rather a company work around the Oculus(?) Rift...the company I see most likely to do that is MS.

Why bother with these silly body trackers/touchscreen controllers when you can actually BE in the game? I mean, the foundation is already there with the Rift goggles, and Doom is supposed to be supported whenever they are shipped off to its Kickstarter donators.
---
GTX 560 Ti (2GB)/ z77-pro motherboard/ i5-3570k/ 8 GB RAM
#98Solid LinkPosted 11/30/2012 8:51:10 PM
blazeUP12 posted...
Big_Isaac posted...

But the projector would still have to be ceiling-mounted to avoid being in the way of the player. Doesn't matter if it's tracking where you are if, you're standing between the projector and the wall.

As for this topic as a whole: it's R&D, people. It doesn't mean this is what they're doing next, it's just research. Nintendo patents have also turned up that splitting controller idea before, by the way. A 360-degree projector is a genuinely new idea, but again, it has the complication of requiring a ceiling mount... and an empty room to play it in.

More likely than not, PS4 will include a tablet controller, because Sony, and the next Xbox will include Kinect, and maybe those AR glasses that have turned up in patents before. Microsoft I think is most likely to stick to its guns of a normal controller, but also have Kinect in there for some variety. Or, maybe that rumored Xbox tablet would be the new controller, and it would also support Xbox 360 controllers... But it's definitely not going to be something as whimsical as a holodeck. The technology is still too far off.
---
CM HAF 912|MSI 890FXA-GD65|AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @ 3.4GHz|XFX HD-6870 1GB
Patriot 8GB DDR3 1600|1TB SATA Spinpoint HDD|XFX 650W PSU|ASUS 23" LED LCD
#99Bancario51Posted 12/1/2012 8:37:09 AM
how da fuq is that a response? 0/10
---
Claiming to be an official ____ of a board is officially dumb
Awesome Fighting games: TTT2, P4A and Aquapazza...
#100blazeUP12(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2012 2:28:02 PM
Solid Link posted...
blazeUP12 posted...
Big_Isaac posted...

But the projector would still have to be ceiling-mounted to avoid being in the way of the player. Doesn't matter if it's tracking where you are if, you're standing between the projector and the wall.

The patent shows the projector sitting on top of the TV next to the Kinect camera. Maybe there's some trickery involved where it projects images around both sides of the player but not on the player's eyes, still allowing for mostly full room coverage.
---
hello earthlings, i am from another planet