Comparison of Console Launch Games

#1_FalstaffPosted 12/1/2012 2:09:52 AM
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxUAq_vuHxtTUWc5YWVEU05PLVk

So, originally, I took on this little project because people kept saying things like "Wii U has the worst launch in history." Well, I couldn't definitively tell if that was true or not, so I decided to do a little research and compile some data in order to find out.

I should warn the trolls now, if ever there was a reassurance topic, this is probably it. However, this one is backed by actual evidence. I'd like to do a quick walkthrough of the data.

First, you'll see a couple of tables. The top table shows you the total number of games available at launch, including the number of exclusives (an exclusive had to appear on only one company's systems and could not be a movie or television based game). The list of exclusives is below both tables. It was a little tricky figuring out what should go on that list and what should not, especially for the 360 and the Wii U. The 360 had several games that were on both PC and the 360, so I decided to include those as "exclusive." The Wii U, on the other hand, had some enhanced ports, such as Mass Effect 3 and Batman: Arkham City. The only one I really chose as an exclusive, however, was Ninja Gaiden 3, Razor's Edge, because it appeared to me it had the largest amount of new content.

The second and third rows of the first table show you the "average of the average." That is, they show you a mean of the average game scores listed on gamerankings.com (which is where I chose to get all of my data). The fourth and fifth rows show you the total number of reviews given to games released at launch for that system. The 360 currently has the most number of reviews for its launch games sitting at 1277, and it's unlikely to be overtaken by any of the other systems. The Wii U currently has the lowest number of reviews, at just 228 (which is still almost half of all reviews the PS3 has received up to this point for its launch games). You'll also see the average number of reviews per game. The Wii U's numbers here are inaccurate because some games haven't received any reviews yet.

The second table shows you an average of all reviews across all launch games, so instead of just looking at the average score of a game and inputting the data, I looked at the score of every review and input each one as a single point of data. So, for the 360, there are 1277 points of data.

Following these, you'll see a series of graphs. The first four graphs show you what the second and third rows of Table 1 look like. The last four graphs show you what Table 2 looks like.

I would type out further analysis of the data right now, but I'll wait to see if anybody else is interested in hearing what I've got to say.
---
9 days to go, and I'm out of here.
#2craiguk37Posted 12/1/2012 2:11:20 AM
reviews are the opinion of one person.
---
Currently Playing -
Lots of games GT - CraigUK37
#3_Falstaff(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2012 2:11:46 AM
craiguk37 posted...
reviews are the opinion of one person.

Congratulations on that revelation.
---
#40NotoriousLynx0Posted 12/1/2012 2:14:02 AM
This is pathetic. This just adds to the cancer killing the Wii U boards. If you want to shun the trolls, don't provide data. Either ignore them or be offensive.
#5_Falstaff(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2012 2:15:43 AM
0NotoriousLynx0 posted...
This is pathetic. This just adds to the cancer killing the Wii U boards. If you want to shun the trolls, don't provide data. Either ignore them or be offensive.

I didn't do this for them. I did it for me and I thought I'd share for anyone interested. If trolls want to respond, they can be my guest.
---
#6Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/1/2012 2:29:37 AM
You have too much free time TC and your graph shows based on reviews the 360 had better games at launch.
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#7sonicfanaticjtbPosted 12/1/2012 2:35:04 AM
I personally found 'em pretty interesting...
---
Krystal and Phoenix Wright for Smash 4!
... Please, Sakurai?
#8jedinatPosted 12/1/2012 2:52:48 AM
I wish Nintendo hadn't turned evil in this regard and still launched their consoles with a killer AAA Mario title.

I figure they think the hardware alone is enough to push systems now, and they they can get the maximum profit by holding off on decent games for a while? Then slowly release one here and there to regenerate interest and sales... That's business I guess.
#9BeatItUpRightPosted 12/1/2012 2:53:13 AM
It doesn't take a rocket scientists to realizing the wii u has an incredible unflattering launch lineup of games.

The reason there is so much negative talk is the games are supposed to do the talking, and they are, in a bad way.

The whole 'if you disagree, you're a troll' argument has to stop, because that would mean the trolls would have vastly more numbers then people who are happy...

Good effort on the documentation TC.
---
Intel Pentium Pro @155mhz - 2MB 3dfx Voodoo Graphics - 4x 16MB SIMM ram - 32k Modem - Windows 98
#10Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/1/2012 3:06:35 AM
BeatItUpRight posted...
It doesn't take a rocket scientists to realizing the wii u has an incredible unflattering launch lineup of games.

The reason there is so much negative talk is the games are supposed to do the talking, and they are, in a bad way.

The whole 'if you disagree, you're a troll' argument has to stop, because that would mean the trolls would have vastly more numbers then people who are happy...

Good effort on the documentation TC.

Is that the Wii U specs in your sig?
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12