What exactly can you do with an SD card on Wii U?

#1dragonforcesPosted 12/2/2012 6:39:07 PM
Since you...

- can't copy game saves
- can't install digital download games on it
- can't install VC games on it

Is it only used for Wii mode?
#2LegendaryHeroRebornPosted 12/2/2012 6:43:23 PM
Wait, what! So that means I bought a 16 GB SD card for nothing?
---
Wii U NNID: LegendaryHeroR. 3DS FC: 0731-5087-7070.
Xbox Live & PSN: EliteGamerRyan.
#3FullMetalPanicPosted 12/2/2012 6:44:36 PM
Since you...

- can't copy game saves
- can't install digital download games on it
- can't install VC games on it

Is it only used for Wii mode?

It seems that way.
---
[_NNID_] PowerBerry [_PSN_] MrCiel [_3DS_] Ciel [ 2062 | 9168 | 6736 ]
#41shadetail1Posted 12/2/2012 6:45:17 PM
Yes, my understanding is, it is only useable in Wii mode.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#5kdognumba1Posted 12/2/2012 6:46:30 PM
If you put the SD card into the SD card slot, it can only be used for Wii content however if you have a SD card reader you can put it in the SD card reader and plug it into the back of the system, it should recognize it and format it, the way it does with an external drive. Of course, you wouldn't want to do this with a SD card you're using for your Wii data as you'll end up losing everything that's on it in the formatting process.
---
backloggery: http://backloggery.com/kdog254 twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kdognumba1
3DS: 1676-3698-5986 PSN: jotaroxtreme NID/XBL: kdog254 Steam: kdognumba1
#6dragonforces(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2012 6:51:00 PM
kdognumba1 posted...
If you put the SD card into the SD card slot, it can only be used for Wii content however if you have a SD card reader you can put it in the SD card reader and plug it into the back of the system, it should recognize it and format it, the way it does with an external drive. Of course, you wouldn't want to do this with a SD card you're using for your Wii data as you'll end up losing everything that's on it in the formatting process.

Yeah, I've heard about that, but seriously...
Why put an SD card slot in the first place, if you basically cannot use it at all?
#7Thirdrail1Posted 12/2/2012 6:55:49 PM
dragonforces posted...
kdognumba1 posted...

Why put an SD card slot in the first place, if you basically cannot use it at all?

Because the Japanese audience will need it for Monster Hunter Tri DLC and updates?

I'm just guessing. That's the only reason that sounds even close to plausible, of the things I can come up with off the top of my head.
---
Understand this: Game reviews are written by people who think being a "video game journalist" is possible.
#8kdognumba1Posted 12/2/2012 6:59:00 PM
dragonforces posted...
kdognumba1 posted...

I'm not really sure their reasoning on the poor emulation of the Wii and how everything used from the Wii is basically segregated from the Wii U. If I was to guess, it would be because Wii used FAT32 where the Wii U uses newer faster formatting technology. The annoyance for getting this to work wasn't even half as bad as attempting to get a SDXC card to work on 3DS, as I you can't just format it straight to FAT32 in Windows 7 and command line formatting errors at the very end making you have to go get a formatting program to get it to work.

I'm not well versed in this issue though, but if this is the case, I wonder if there's a work around for it and if there is if they'll implement it in a future update.
---
backloggery: http://backloggery.com/kdog254 twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kdognumba1
3DS: 1676-3698-5986 PSN: jotaroxtreme NID/XBL: kdog254 Steam: kdognumba1
#9LegendaryHeroRebornPosted 12/2/2012 11:34:47 PM
I'm not even planning on transferring my Wii game saves or Wii downloaded games to my Wii U, so is it really true that if I buy a game for example Nano Assault, a full game like Batman: Arkham City, or a New SMB U DLC in the future, I can't directly store or load them from my 16 GB memory card?
---
Wii U NNID: LegendaryHeroR. 3DS FC: 0731-5087-7070.
Xbox Live & PSN: EliteGamerRyan.
#10token_swordsmanPosted 12/2/2012 11:42:32 PM
use the sd card to hold your vc games so they do't take up hdd space
---
^ Typed this from my wii u ^