Wii U doesn not support USB 3.09 HDDs?

#21Izeman(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 9:50:12 AM
MikeBearman posted...
I'm also having a problem with my WD 500gb passport usb 3.0 hdd, it works sometimes but say when the system goes from one application to another it will sometime freeze or hang, and sometimes not even show the hdd. but not sure if it's a built in power save option on the hdd or something.

It may come from the same issue that's plaguing my Wii U.
#22mhunterchumpPosted 12/4/2012 9:53:37 AM
Mine is a 3.0 HDD and it set up and works flawlessly since I hooked it up 2 weeks ago.
---
PSN/Xbox: mhunterchump ------- Wii U: mhunterARK
twitter.com/MhunterCHUMP youtube.com/mhunterchump
#232000eramaaxPosted 12/4/2012 9:55:36 AM
Nintendo didn't say it would work , they said it might.
---
WiiU/3DS Fc: 2363-6674-0779
maniax300/maax300/manax300
#24Izeman(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 9:59:33 AM
Hmm... I may have found a possible cause.

On the NOA Support page they suggest using an HDD with a dedicated power source.

Maybe USB 3.0 devices are a little more power hungry than USB 2.0 ones and the current output from the Wii U USB ports is not enough to correctly power external USB HDDs that draw power supply from the USB port itself.
So if you plug in a USB 2.0 device, the power is enough to make it work; with USB 3.0 devices, there's not enough juice coming from the USB port and the driver powers up but can't function properly.
Thus the problems for the console to operate the HDD.

Unfortunately I don't have a USB 3.0 cradle/USB HDD with external power supply to test my theory and buying a 1TB HDD is not on my current To Do list..

I'll see if I can come up with something...
#25Izeman(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 10:02:19 AM
mhunterchump posted...
Mine is a 3.0 HDD and it set up and works flawlessly since I hooked it up 2 weeks ago.

Is it a self-powered HDD (external power supply) or does it draw power from the USB cable?
#26mhunterchumpPosted 12/4/2012 10:18:28 AM
Izeman posted...
mhunterchump posted...

Is it a self-powered HDD (external power supply) or does it draw power from the USB cable?

It has AC power.
---
PSN/Xbox: mhunterchump ------- Wii U: mhunterARK
twitter.com/MhunterCHUMP youtube.com/mhunterchump
#27WaruigiPosted 12/6/2012 8:03:28 AM
Izeman posted...
mhunterchump posted...

Apparently the drive no receiving enough power is a common problem. If it has a separate hookup for USB y-cable, try that so that you're drawing power from two ports.
---
"I'm no longer surprised by how long and how earnestly people can talk about absolute rubbish." -shockwavepulsarjim