how good do games play off of an external HDD?

#1slickvic1990Posted 12/4/2012 1:05:30 PM
Thinking about going a bit more digital when I pick up a WiiU. I just want to know how games run off of an external. are they faster or slower or anything like that? Could some of you that have gone digital post your experiences with using an external HDD?
---
I enjoyed RE6, and both FF13 games. I think Skyward Sword is the second best Zelda after Majora's Mask. I have no desire to play Skyrim. I actually like COD.
#2slickvic1990(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 1:10:08 PM
bump
---
I enjoyed RE6, and both FF13 games. I think Skyward Sword is the second best Zelda after Majora's Mask. I have no desire to play Skyrim. I actually like COD.
#3sloth927Posted 12/4/2012 1:11:02 PM
feels like the same speed for me.
---
Wii U ID: Fire_Chomp
#4BufkusPosted 12/4/2012 1:12:37 PM
Basically the same speed.
#5Aaron44126Posted 12/4/2012 1:13:08 PM
I'm probably one of the only people who has the digital version of Nintendo Land. :-)

This is the only one I've tried running from both internal memory and a hard drive. I surprisingly observed the game launch faster from the hard drive. I spent about half of the amount of time looking at the curtain with "Nintendo Land" logo.

But it froze in short order so I moved it back to system memory. (That's the only time Nintendo Land has froze on me.)

Also...
Moving the game from internal memory to the hard drive was way faster than moving it back the other way.
#6teknic1200Posted 12/4/2012 1:13:44 PM
They run great for me. the added lack of drive noise being the icing on the cake.
---
Today is the Tomorrow you were promised Yesterday
#7slickvic1990(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 1:18:24 PM
ok guys. thanks for the input!
---
#8stekim40Posted 12/4/2012 1:20:18 PM
aaronkelley posted...
I'm probably one of the only people who has the digital version of Nintendo Land. :-)

This is the only one I've tried running from both internal memory and a hard drive.

The Wii U doesn't have a Hard Drive as such, its flash memory, they don't make HD's so tiny these days.
---
Playing: Xcom:EU, PC Minecraft, Skyrim , F1 2012
Waiting for: ELITE 4 (still), GTA V, Pikmin 3, Dragon Age 3
#9slickvic1990(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 1:21:31 PM
stekim40 posted...
aaronkelley posted...

This is the only one I've tried running from both internal memory and a hard drive.

The Wii U doesn't have a Hard Drive as such, its flash memory, they don't make HD's so tiny these days.

um....I don't think he said the WiiU had a Hard Drive...
---
#10ChargrilledPosted 12/4/2012 1:22:00 PM
Flash memory in the wii u is sloooooooow. 1hr or so to install a 5gb+ game. Very poor.

Definitely download to hard drive, installs are faster.
---
GT : DeadJericho / PSN : Focalpoint /
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!