Nintendo: Wii U won't come with necessary firmware until 2013

#1sknmakPosted 12/4/2012 2:57:04 PM
Nintendo president Satoru Iwata recently apologized for the massive mandatory firmware update needed for new Wii U consoles. The company won't have a solution to the problem until well into the new year according to NoA's Reggie Fils-Aime.

There was a very simple reason that video game consoles stayed so popular even as PCs surpassed them in technological versatility back in the ‘90s: Plug in and play. You could put a game in a console and be guaranteed it would work when you hit the power button. That all changed seven years ago when the Xbox 360 made downloadable games a console standard, so now you have to look at a console’s operating system before you can even choose a game to play. The wait between boot up and play has gotten extensive. Just look at the Wii U: When new owners fire up that system for the first time, they have to wait in excess of an hour for the console’s firmware to download! That won’t be changing any time soon either, according to Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime.

“Nintendo developers want to make sure that the very best product is available to consumers,” Fils-Aime told Gamasutra on Tuesday, “That creates a dynamic where our developers are working on elements until the very last point possible. That’s why the system update was required on day one—and this is quite similar to what’s happened with other consumer electronic products.”

That’s also why the Wii U won’t come with the current firmware preloaded in the console for months to come, continued Fils-Aime. It won’t be until 2013 that the Wii U is fully functional right out of the box. Technically speaking that’s still in the “launch window” as described by Nintendo, but it’s a strange shift away from the instant usability that made the company’s past gaming machines so appealing to people.

The Wii U’s mandatory update has been more than an inconvenience for pampered consumers, though. Many Wii U owners thought that their consoles were broken due to the excessive firmware download and install times and unplugged their consoles hoping to reboot. Doing so unfortunately destroyed their consoles.

More here:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/nintendo-wii-u-wont-come-with-necessary-firmware-until-2013/
---
NEW Video Game Remakes Uploaded
http://www.youtube.com/user/sknocturnal
#2zender1999Posted 12/4/2012 3:00:18 PM
you know that the other 2 consoles dont come with the necessary firmware out of the box as well?
first thing u have to do when you buy ps3 or 360 is update or you wont be able to play online, wiiu is the same, its how things are done now
#3Sylar100Posted 12/4/2012 3:01:44 PM
zender1999 posted...
you know that the other 2 consoles dont come with the necessary firmware out of the box as well?
first thing u have to do when you buy ps3 or 360 is update or you wont be able to play online, wiiu is the same, its how things are done now

Except those weren't day 1 updates to add features that were suppose to be "out of the box"
#4ArturiaZweiPosted 12/4/2012 3:02:29 PM
I don't mind I suppose, I'll probably not be trying to get one till then anyways. I've learned with Ps2 and the 360 not buy right away because they're still working out the bugs. Although I think the should reward gamers who stuck through the firmware hassles in some way.
#5Yuri_LowelIPosted 12/4/2012 3:04:58 PM
so Nintendo admit there' an issue and apologised. Will the nutthuggers accept this? or will they keep saying there is nothing wrong.

Also a console with borderline "last gen" online functionalities and services shouldn't be having these issues. IT's unacceptable. Iwata can apologise all it wants, fact is they were incompetent to begin with.
---
http://s19.postimage.org/euz7x7atd/yurilowell.png
#601Philip01Posted 12/4/2012 3:05:37 PM
Makes sense cuz no tvii
---
NNID: PhilipPwns ( Add me thru miiverse )
3DS Friend Code: 0387 9129 6502
#7Yuri_LowelIPosted 12/4/2012 3:06:38 PM
I don't mind I suppose, I'll probably not be trying to get one till then anyways. I've learned with Ps2 and the 360 not buy right away because they're still working out the bugs. Although I think the should reward gamers who stuck through the firmware hassles in some way.

I won't be buying a wii U until probably a hardware revision or a massive price drop, or smash bros/Zelda. whichever comes first.
---
http://s19.postimage.org/euz7x7atd/yurilowell.png
#8zender1999Posted 12/4/2012 3:07:40 PM
rrod ior psn security hack...now thats incopetent and unacceptable, a firmware update is that, just a firware update, with lots more to come, on any console
#9Prince ShondronaiPosted 12/4/2012 3:13:33 PM
I didn't update my Wii U for a couple of days, and I still got to play Nintendo Land and ZombiU on day 1 just fine.

Consoles that were popular in the 90's blah-blah-blah plug-n-play blah-blah didn't have online functionality and data transfers and garbage lke that.
---
One of us. One of us. One of us.
#10Pkshootout13Posted 12/4/2012 3:19:45 PM
Prince Shondronai posted...
I didn't update my Wii U for a couple of days, and I still got to play Nintendo Land and ZombiU on day 1 just fine.

Consoles that were popular in the 90's blah-blah-blah plug-n-play blah-blah didn't have online functionality and data transfers and garbage lke that.

Same here. I didn't have mine hooked up to the internet until A week later. When i did hook up i had the update downloaded and installed in an hour (maybe even slightly less).
---
Gt: PkShootout13 NNID: PkShootout13
Feel free to send me a friend request or add me through miiverse!