How does Nintendo TVii work exactly?

#1drummerockbandPosted 12/4/2012 3:03:45 PM
I understand you can watch Netflix and stuff like that. But when I link my satellite to it, can I watch live TV on my wii u? Or do I just watch regular tv while I can see live updates from the gamepad?
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted him as your lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig
#2SpacedDuckPosted 12/4/2012 3:09:41 PM
How exactly does one link their anything to the Wii U?

I have an HD Cable receive plugged into my sound receiver with HDMI. My Wii U is also plugged into my sound receiver with HDMI.

How would you be able to link a console to a receiver without another AV input on both the system and receiver?

Just doesn't make sense unless the USB ports on each do something? I can't imagine the HD receiver having software inside of it to recognize a Wii U is plugged in via USB.
---

Keep/Kept the Faith! Forever a member of Red Sox Nation!
#3abear90Posted 12/4/2012 3:14:13 PM
Your TV content is not streamed to the Wii U. TVii is basically a glorified universal remote. All the Wii U does when you use TV, for example, when you pick a channel to watch, is change the appropriate channel on your cable/satellite box and TV to get everything working.

You will have to input your cable/satellite info, and the Wii U will download programming schedules from the internet, so you will be able to pick shows to watch on your Wii U screen, but again, all it does is change your cable box/DVR/whatever's channel.
#4mhunterchumpPosted 12/4/2012 3:15:59 PM
SpacedDuck posted...

I have an HD Cable receive plugged into my sound receiver with HDMI. My Wii U is also plugged into my sound receiver with HDMI.

How would you be able to link a console to a receiver without another AV input on both the system and receiver?

Just doesn't make sense unless the USB ports on each do something? I can't imagine the HD receiver having software inside of it to recognize a Wii U is plugged in via USB.

It's done over the internet. My cable company already has an app where I can control my DVR and watch recorded and live TV on my android tablet.

All I had to do was sign in with my cable account and it's all linked. I imagine TVii will be similar to this since Nintendo already said it is compatible with most cable companies.
---
PSN/Xbox: mhunterchump ------- Wii U: mhunterARK
twitter.com/MhunterCHUMP youtube.com/mhunterchump
#5darkjedilinkPosted 12/4/2012 3:16:19 PM
SpacedDuck posted...

You won't physically link the system to your cable box. You will activate the TVii app and give them the info on your cable company, and it will access your account to control your cable box via the internet, in much the same way your cable company does.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#6drummerockband(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 3:17:18 PM
SpacedDuck posted...

I was thinking I would pick my service provider, and type in my user and pass and then I would get all the info TVii needs for the app to work
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted him as your lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig
#7mhunterchumpPosted 12/4/2012 3:18:13 PM
abear90 posted...
Your TV content is not streamed to the Wii U. TVii is basically a glorified universal remote. All the Wii U does when you use TV, for example, when you pick a channel to watch, is change the appropriate channel on your cable/satellite box and TV to get everything working.

You will have to input your cable/satellite info, and the Wii U will download programming schedules from the internet, so you will be able to pick shows to watch on your Wii U screen, but again, all it does is change your cable box/DVR/whatever's channel.

Not true at all, it will do more then that. Nintendo already mentioned the streaming from your DVR to the gamepad.
---
PSN/Xbox: mhunterchump ------- Wii U: mhunterARK
twitter.com/MhunterCHUMP youtube.com/mhunterchump