Want a good conversation about WiiU hardware?

#11The_Blue_StuffPosted 12/4/2012 8:49:22 PM
JKatarn posted...
The problem is you are using "good conversation" in the same sentence where you link to a gaming forum - unless there actual indie/AAA devs weighing in on that thread, it's all a bunch of speculation by amateurs who have likely not coded a line in their life.

Except thats the dumbest thing I have heard also. Having a dev look at something he knows nothing about is less important than someone who is half tech. based who is not a dev.
---
This is what I do at work -http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/1650/dragonu.png
GamefaqsCommunity-http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/image/535
#12Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/4/2012 9:03:30 PM(edited)
One thing that I see bad about it is, the Wii U only has 1 gb of ram that is used for games, the other GB is used for the OS only.

In total but only 1GB can be accessed by games. Other 1GB goes to OS and is not accessible by games.

Which can be a major problem later on with Sony's and Microsoft's new consoles, more difficult to work around less ram than it is other things, could prevent some games coming to the platform, open world type games unless they allow a gamer to copy the game to storage so it'll perform in a "Streaming" manner, which most do anyway but not as severe to overcome ram limitations.

Possible to constantly stream data from disc but how effective it would be, not sure.

Also taken from link in regards to the RAM

Considering that Wii U is likely designed for 720p (ram speed hints at this) and the reality that the System's RAM will be freed up for games as time goes on, (happens with all consoles) and the general clunkyness of Wii U's OS... I would assume half of the RAM could be freed up relatively easily, even if it means moving browser tabs into flash memory later on.

1080p is a bit over 2.25 this number, so you are looking at ~3.75GB of Game RAM needed for 1080p to match just 1.5GB RAM for 720p.

It might not work out this way for Nintendo, but they are likely expecting 3rd parties to release 1080p versions of their Wii U games on PS4/XB3, which if ~500-600GFLOPs of GPU power is available to the Wii U, a similar game running 1080p would need 1.5-1.8TFLOPs form the GPU. This is not talking about any other bottlenecks a system comparison would likely have, but without real numbers for Wii U, and completely imaginary numbers for other "current gen" consoles. (they can change and be finely tweaked at this point even if I had a dev kit in front of me)

---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#13JKatarnPosted 12/4/2012 9:04:02 PM(edited)
The_Blue_Stuff posted...
JKatarn posted...
The problem is you are using "good conversation" in the same sentence where you link to a gaming forum - unless there actual indie/AAA devs weighing in on that thread, it's all a bunch of speculation by amateurs who have likely not coded a line in their life.

Except thats the dumbest thing I have heard also. Having a dev look at something he knows nothing about is less important than someone who is half tech. based who is not a dev.

Developers by definition are more intimately familiar with hardware than some forum pundit - they've worked with various PC/console hardware over the years and have access to actual Nintendo devkits - they likely know the precise system clocks, latencies, RAM allocated to OS etc. vs. JoeBlow23 who read on random gaming site X that hacker Y discovered what company provided the RAM etc. They also know how their engines work, the size of their gameplay assets, how multi-threaded said engines are etc. - I'd say they're just a little bit more qualified to comment on a system than an armchair "expert".
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#14Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/4/2012 10:16:43 PM
JKatarn posted...
The_Blue_Stuff posted...
JKatarn posted...

Developers by definition are more intimately familiar with hardware than some forum pundit - they've worked with various PC/console hardware over the years and have access to actual Nintendo devkits - they likely know the precise system clocks, latencies, RAM allocated to OS etc. vs. JoeBlow23 who read on random gaming site X that hacker Y discovered what company provided the RAM etc. They also know how their engines work, the size of their gameplay assets, how multi-threaded said engines are etc. - I'd say they're just a little bit more qualified to comment on a system than an armchair "expert".

You would be shocked at how many software developers don't know hardware and games are developed from an SDK, they are aware of the limitations of their device but I doubt they would know more than someone who works with actual hardware.
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#15libatakoPosted 12/4/2012 10:27:49 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]