Can Nintendo ever deliver online like Halo or CoD?

#31DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 6:38:05 AM
ssjmole posted...
DesperateMonkey posted...
Sorry a party game does not have to be local at all. This isn't the shallow crap that is Wii Sports, nor is it like Wii Sports where you mostly just need TWO people. Nintendo Land is also a game that requires gamers to appreciate most of the references. Nintendo Land definitely needs online. This is like saying Borderlands doesn't need online because it has split screen or RE5 doesn't need online because it use to be single player.

2 things. 1 Party games can. Mario party when it comes out should. But the entire multiplayer of Nintendo land is you seeing something on pad different to tv. Online renders that redundant as hell. 2 resident evil NEVER should have online. I loved the series but now it's a shooter not a survival game because of crap like online. Borderlands should have it though.

1. This is complete BS. The point of Nintendo Land is to use the asymetrical multiplayer. The fact that you can't see a local TV has little to NO impact on my enjoyment at all and in fact, detracts from it with Sweet Day because guess what? I can screen watch!

2. RE5 is the best RE in the series for me and many other people. The silly kids who like RE4 are a joke. Apparently they think its "scary" while RE5 is not. Newsflash, neither is scary and RE has NEVER been scary at all. Its called growing up. Go back and play RE2 and the story and dialogues are more hilarious than scary. RE5 had way better gameplay and much harder set pieces. Your opinion vs mine.

NSMBU, I don't even know wtf you're talking about. Thats not an evolution of taking turns multiplayer at all... its a direct response to LBP except LBP clearly had bothered to design the game with multiplayer in mind in where cooperation AND competition is fun. In NSMBU, its a mix of meaninglessness and stupidity. Pressing the A button is cheap as hell and often one person can just rush the level and beat it for everyone. Screwing with each other gets really old really fast as there really isn't a point.

Mario does NOT need online. It was a single player/local game. Online adds nothing of real value.

No Mario was SINGLE PLAYER ONLY. It had a fake multiplayer in the past but never actual multiplayer. If online adds nothing than neither does the local multiplayer which would get far less use from many people than online multi. I guess your argument would be that the local multi is garbage in the first place.

---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#32Helmsly2008Posted 12/5/2012 6:40:41 AM
Helmsly2008 posted...
Nintendo probably could if they had had a team dedicated towards delivering an Online experience like Halo or Cod, but they just seem reluctant to anything with online in general.

Only Hideki Konno has talked about adding online to games with any real passion, which is probably why Mario kart Wii and MK7 are Nintendo's boldest steps towards online gaming.

Yes well they aren't some poor indie developer. They sell ridiculously low budget games like KEY, DKCR, KRtDL, NSMBU and Wario Land at $50 and always get mad sales.

They can afford to have some COMPETENT online system. They are already giving us less content, at least give us some decent online experiences.

I was never suggesting they don't have the money to do it, they are one of the most successful companies and have plenty of money to cover it. Its just they, for some unknown reason, don't value online gaming as much as the rest of the industry. They don't seem to have a major interest in it and its just not high on their lists of priorities.

I wish they would take a more serious approach towards online games. They certainly have franchises that could benefit from it And I don't mean just throwing online mode into every game...I actually don't think Nintendoland would benefit from online modes, but a new F-zero game would.
#33SpacedDuckPosted 12/5/2012 6:40:43 AM
Well Black Ops 2 online plays the exact same as it does on the Wii U as it does on the 360.

Sure there's less voice chat but to be honest I don't care. I'm tired of hearing kids scream and talk about dumb stuff while also being racist anyways.

So if more people buy this game it will be just like the 360/PS3 versions in terms of people playing.

Game runs fine though, no lag same maps etc.
---

Keep/Kept the Faith! Forever a member of Red Sox Nation!
#34DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 6:43:22 AM
Sakurai_Masa posted...
Kirby's Return to Dreamland and Donkey Kong Country Returns are not low-budget.

What you think of the games has nothing to do with their production costs.

So is Oboro Muramasa and Trine all high budget productions then?

@Jung

Now your just making silly hyperboles. Who said anything about shoehorning deathmatch into Zelda? It takes a real desperate fanboy to resort to such blatantly idiotic straw mans. We were clearly talking about games that already had LOCAL co-op like NSMBU and Nintendo Land. Online just means doing the same thing except with people who aren't in your immediate vicinity which is far more convenient for anyone who isn't on the same school schedule as elementary and high school kids.

If online is being shoehorned in those games then so is the local multi, but apparently you have no problem with that.
---
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#35Tweekin56Posted 12/5/2012 6:49:05 AM
I don't want Nintendo to embrace online. Mario Party is more fun with four people in a room. Just like Monopoly is more fun with 5 people around a table.

TC: you have multiple people telling you that Nintendo has first party games that have been successfully embraced online usage. If you want to start a topic for conversation you need to understand your all encompassing statement might be wrong. Discussion boards are about engaging in conversation, not being the most right.
---
Locke: Crazy people don't know they're crazy, they think they're getting saner.
#36SatragePosted 12/5/2012 6:51:29 AM

Stealing resources??? Have you even seen the games we are talking about? Please stop being stupid apologists. NSMB Wii was a 200 megabyte game. It looked like any half ass indie developer could have made the game yet it sold for $50. You can't get a higher price for a lower production value than this... Also there is no such thing as taking away resources. Games often include online because they want better sales which means they spend more (or in many cases, any at all) making games.

Yeah, Stealing resources, I hope you do realise that every game has its own budget :p and implenting online just because some people want to where it's not in their original plan usually means cutting costs somewhere else. - You have to understand that Nintendo are going to make a profit anyway they can, and as long as the average gamer is happy with the games and services they provide they're not drastically going to change that up.

I don't fully understand why you'd bring up the filesize of a game here, and btw, it was around 800MB. Size doesn't tell you wether or not a game was expensive or not to develop, and I'm sure NSMB was fairly cheap to make.

And I'm still not convinced NSMB would need, or even benefit from an online mode, I've had great fun playing with friends in my house, and I've never even come close to that level of fun when it comes to any online game apart from Starcraft :p

As far as sales goes NSMB sold somewhere around 25-30mil copies right? Doubt online would've boosted that significantly.

But that's just my thoughts about it all, but you're forgetting that the Wii was marketed and made for the casual and social gamer in mind, not the "hardcore"(cod so hardcore.. xD) gamer, hence with the Wii, online wasn't as much of a focus.
Looking at Wii U however, I'm sure they're going to include a much better online service to their comming games, where it's fitting, such as Smash Brothers for example.

TL;DR = He's got no idea what he's talking about..
---
Nintendo ID : Satrage - Feel free to add me :3
#37thegangmanPosted 12/5/2012 6:54:07 AM
Monster hunter. Wii U. Online. Topic closed.
---
Currently trying to figure out a good sig. PSN: everybodyman
#38Helmsly2008Posted 12/5/2012 6:56:56 AM
Tweekin56 posted...
I don't want Nintendo to embrace online. Mario Party is more fun with four people in a room. Just like Monopoly is more fun with 5 people around a table.

ok but adding to online to a game doesn't mean removing local player...
#39DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 6:57:32 AM
Tweekin56 posted...

TC: you have multiple people telling you that Nintendo has first party games that have been successfully embraced online usage. If you want to start a topic for conversation you need to understand your all encompassing statement might be wrong. Discussion boards are about engaging in conversation, not being the most right.

How can I be wrong? You and the other Nintendo fanboys in this topic run on some kind of silly logic where whatever Nintendo does = right.

This assumption that online = no offline is one of the stupidest Nintendo Defense Force slogans around.

Its like all logic escapes you guys. Also, no resources are often NOT taken out of games to add online. In fact, many games would not even have sequels if they did not include an online because the game as a single player title did not sell enough.

Now we have Satrage pretending that HIS personal situation = everyones situation.

Nobody gives a **** if you had more fun playing local multi in NSMBU. I did NOT and many people could not because they don't attend school and often work until late into the night or work on weekends or have friends who suck or friends who simply DON'T WANT TO PLAY THE SAME GAMES AS YOU.

There are a billion reasons why online multiplayer can be way better and it is way better for a huge portion of the community. If I had to play Halo locally, I would not be playing it at all.
---
#40Helmsly2008Posted 12/5/2012 6:58:00 AM
thegangman posted...
Monster hunter. Wii U. Online. Topic closed.

MH is made by Capcom, not Nintendo. I guess we better reopen the topic!