Can Nintendo ever deliver online like Halo or CoD?

#51xerofyre0Posted 12/5/2012 7:29:52 AM
I thought Mario kart Wii had great online. Cod isn't that great btw, easy too much invisible lag. I'll give you halo though.
---
Free Game Giveaway-
http://www.down-rightfierce.com/2012/06/free-game-giveaway-club-nintendo.html
#52DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 7:34:22 AM(edited)
megax11 posted...
DesperateMonkey posted...
megax11 posted...
I bet they could, but it wouldn't be from the crappy FPS - ten million release every year - genre.

I bet when Smash Bros. comes out, the online for that will be hopping.

Wow... please don't jinx it.

Did you remember to knock on wood?

So, when anyone is giving you a positive reaction about Nintendo's potential for online goodness, you're striking it down? It seems to be, that your pessimism is making it so you don't see the good in everyones' retorts to the question you originally asked.

By the way, getting friends to come over and play games is only hard to people who afraid to be social or are anti-social.

You're right! The only people who can be considered social are people who have friends that come over exclusively to play video games with them! Going out certainly isn't social. Doing NON-gaming stuff certainly isn't social. Doing anything outside of having friends who want to play local multiplayer with you isn't social!

Nintendo Logic ftw!

Tweekin56 posted...
Yes, let me change my work schedule to play local multiplayer. Let me also change everyone elses schedule to fit in with my new schedule. Oh and of course, let me force MY interests on my friends. Then I will train them individually to play as well as I do!

Where the hell did you get your masters? I would assume even a bachelors at a decent college would teach the basics of critical thought.

Critical thought means accepting that not everyone is the same. I'm sorry you don't like it, don't get it or sell it back. But don't come on here telling everyone they're wrong because something doesn't have what you want.

This is what troubles me. Your college must hand out degrees like candy. I never once inferred that my opinion is superior to anyone elses. I have always been of the position that this is an inconvenience for me and anyone else who cannot find the schedule to play local multi. I am arguing AGAINST the absolute statements of Nintendo fanboys who claim that NO ONE needs online multi, that this is how it MUST be played and that online will benefit no one. I ask for online and people just tell me how its "useless" and "tacked on".

Anyone who understands the basics of critical thought knows they're not going to force their opinion on everyone and expect everyone to agree.

And anyone with a Masters in anything respectable should be able to follow this discussion. The people who are making such arguments are the people who are telling me online is useless.

---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#53guedesbrawlPosted 12/5/2012 7:35:51 AM
mkw worked for me besides the eventual hacker.and just a little lag.
kid icarus works perfectly,though,the only problem are the idlers (you can get weapons and powers in matches,and always will get hearts.people just don't play)
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#54Baha05Posted 12/5/2012 7:35:52 AM
I don;t know how much I believe that with NSMBU AND Nintendo Land still possessing no online. Is this something Nintendo just can't do? Why is it so hard to make a decent online system with a couple of different modes when you got IPs that rake in hundreds of millions of dollars?

Some IPs don't need online and the ones that try to have it won't have all sorts of modes. When you even think about in on Nintendo's games alone there aren't a lot that can be fitted for Online, at least their main titles. They can do online like everyone else though it would have to be for spin off titles and new IPs.
---
"LOL fail, SMG and GTA5 aren't even from the same decade. gj." - War_Fail
#55DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 7:41:08 AM
Baha05 posted...
I don;t know how much I believe that with NSMBU AND Nintendo Land still possessing no online. Is this something Nintendo just can't do? Why is it so hard to make a decent online system with a couple of different modes when you got IPs that rake in hundreds of millions of dollars?

Some IPs don't need online and the ones that try to have it won't have all sorts of modes. When you even think about in on Nintendo's games alone there aren't a lot that can be fitted for Online, at least their main titles. They can do online like everyone else though it would have to be for spin off titles and new IPs.

Can we not talk about SOME games when we named specific ones? Some games don't need online but NSMBU and Nintendo Land sure could use it.

Online does not mean you can't play local. No online just means that if you can't play local, there is NO OTHER OPTION to play multiplayer and that how much multiplayer gameplay you can do is determined by many factors outside of your control. I rather be able to play any time I like. I come home after work and I don't want to invite 4 people to play Nintendo Land. I want to boot it up and play with my wife online.
---
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#56Baha05Posted 12/5/2012 7:46:25 AM
Can we not talk about SOME games when we named specific ones? Some games don't need online but NSMBU and Nintendo Land sure could use it.

Online does not mean you can't play local. No online just means that if you can't play local, there is NO OTHER OPTION to play multiplayer and that how much multiplayer gameplay you can do is determined by many factors outside of your control. I rather be able to play any time I like. I come home after work and I don't want to invite 4 people to play Nintendo Land. I want to boot it up and play with my wife online.

Could use it yeah, but need it? No.

And with games like Nintendo Land are party games, they aren't really meant to be played like a normal multiplayer game and NSMB U is a platformer which already is going to have some degree of restriction as 2D Platformers and even 3D platformers won't work with online capabilities. Hence why some games will never truly work well with online multiplayer.
---
"LOL fail, SMG and GTA5 aren't even from the same decade. gj." - War_Fail
#57ShadowSkill11Posted 12/5/2012 7:49:06 AM
ShaunageAU posted...
Black Ops 2 was a Wii U launch title, online and all.

Yeah and Kotaku ran a story a few days ago where they pointed out that there was only a 1000 people online in black ops 2 for WiiU while the PS3, 360, and PC all had about 700,000 players online at the same time.... EACH.
#58DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 7:52:15 AM(edited)
Baha05 posted...

Could use it yeah, but need it? No.

And with games like Nintendo Land are party games, they aren't really meant to be played like a normal multiplayer game and NSMB U is a platformer which already is going to have some degree of restriction as 2D Platformers and even 3D platformers won't work with online capabilities. Hence why some games will never truly work well with online multiplayer.

How the hell does 2D platformers not work online? LBP works better both online and offline. Trine 2 is amazing online. Seriously, what are you smoking? There is absolutely nothing difficult about this at all. You guys clearly haven't played anything that wasn't made by Nintendo. This mass ignorance isn't very cute anymore.

Also these games don't need online if they don't need local. If they have local multiplayer, there is absolutely no reasons why they don't need online. In fact, many people would get far more use out of the online compared to the offline. Without online, the only difference is that people will be able to play a lot less and a huge demographic is being shafted because they can't conveniently pull out 4 people who always wants to play video games with them.
---
#59megax11Posted 12/5/2012 7:55:19 AM(edited)
You're right! The only people who can be considered social are people who have friends that come over exclusively to play video games with them! Going out certainly isn't social. Doing NON-gaming stuff certainly isn't social. Doing anything outside of having friends who want to play local multiplayer with you isn't social!

Nintendo Logic ftw!

Where did you pull that out from?

I was thinking for a second, that maybe you were being legit in your question, but if you're going to retort to my statements, make sure it's about what I talked about in full.

I never said once that the only way to be social, is having LAN parties and get togethers at my house. That's just ONE form of getting together.

My friends and I are all tied down. That means our club hopping days are over. I have 3 kids. Me and my girl aren't just going to run to the club and dance until 4 in the morning when we have kids to put to bed.

There is no Nintendo logic in my statements, first of all, because I can afford to be a real gamer (ie not a broke fanboy). I own ALL systems and have no bias against any. I could find reasons to bash and praise each one of them.

But, back to what I was saying. We are talking about gaming, not going outside of the house to be social. When it comes to the topic of online, one could mention the social aspect of getting together physically, instead of behind headsets and online services. My friends and I do more of that, than play online, and it's better that way, because we can have fun while eating good food, talking together, and playing together.

There's no lag switching to worry about, no hacking to worry about, no team killers to worry about (so much for Halo getting online down right), no getting booted by people who try to get you to kill them by accidentally running them over with a wraith, because they jump on top of it and destroy your canon with a grenade, only for someone from the other team to come and finish the job.

Nope. We all play legit.

And before you mention how a game like Halo got it right, let's talk about everything I mentioned above. The team killing, people quitting, lag switching, hacking, and people who try and destroy your vehicles, because they didn't get to it first, or people who jump in the way of your vehcile, so you accidentally kill them thus having a chance to get booted.

I've been playing EVERY Halo online since Halo 2, every weekend since Halo 2 in 2004, and I have seen stuff that makes me praise the fact I have friends I can get together with, who doesn't do immature things like that.

You gotta mention both sides in every story.
---
The ALL THINGS GAMING fanboy. PSWiiU60DSPVita FTW! 1356 games and still growing. XBL: GameMaster1178 PSN: megax28 Wii U: GameMaster1178
#60DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 7:55:16 AM
megax11 posted...

Nintendo Logic ftw!

Where did you pull that out from?

I was thinking for a second, that maybe you were being legit in your question, but if you're going to retort to my statements, make sure it's about what I talked about in full.

I never said once that that only way to be social, is having LAN parties and get togethers at my house. That's just ONE form of getting together.

I stopped taking you seriously when you pulled the "if you don't like local multi, your anti-social" crap. Aside from the fact that I never even said I don't like local multi (it just can't happen very often), this is a dumb appeal to popularity (not ad populum).
---