Wii U 8GB and Firmware Updates

#11leeko_linkPosted 12/5/2012 9:31:02 AM
SoLiD_SaL posted...
I was thinking about getting the 8GB Wii U at some point since I dont really care much for what the 32GB version additionally offers. But as I read about the initial Wii U update I grew concerned about the 8GB version. Most likely there will be more updates along the way. I believe there will be a point where the 8GB version cannot handle anymore firmware updates because of space limitation. This is something that an external hdd cannot fix since it is firmware. Is this a valid concern? I am disappointed that Nintendo decided to go with such small storage space. Even when the PS3 came out, 20GB was the smallest you could get.

The new update will replace the old update so you don't have to worry about downloading the the two. Only the latest one will happen. Also about the 8GB hard drive, if you still had any of your SD Card or SDHC Card that you have for your Wii, then you can use those to back up memory of your data and files too. If you're concern about space, you could always buy an external hard drive to back it up further, 200GB hard drive usually sell for $50 at amazon.
#12SoLiD_SaL(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 9:32:33 AM
leeko_link posted...
SoLiD_SaL posted...
I was thinking about getting the 8GB Wii U at some point since I dont really care much for what the 32GB version additionally offers. But as I read about the initial Wii U update I grew concerned about the 8GB version. Most likely there will be more updates along the way. I believe there will be a point where the 8GB version cannot handle anymore firmware updates because of space limitation. This is something that an external hdd cannot fix since it is firmware. Is this a valid concern? I am disappointed that Nintendo decided to go with such small storage space. Even when the PS3 came out, 20GB was the smallest you could get.

The new update will replace the old update so you don't have to worry about downloading the the two. Only the latest one will happen. Also about the 8GB hard drive, if you still had any of your SD Card or SDHC Card that you have for your Wii, then you can use those to back up memory of your data and files too. If you're concern about space, you could always buy an external hard drive to back it up further, 200GB hard drive usually sell for $50 at amazon.

True. But can you store firmware updates on an SD card or external HDD. My concern is a firmware update larger than 8GB. Not sure if Nintendo would ever do that.
#13GM_Posted 12/5/2012 9:33:22 AM
Quote:I believe that new firmware updates would rewrite old updates.
@P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N

This. For the love of Gabe Newell this.
#14MegagunstarmanPosted 12/5/2012 9:36:19 AM
SoLiD_SaL posted...
leeko_link posted...
SoLiD_SaL posted...

True. But can you store firmware updates on an SD card or external HDD. My concern is a firmware update larger than 8GB. Not sure if Nintendo would ever do that.

I'm pretty sure they will do that. This is Nintendo we're talking about. They don't care about animal rights.
---
I'm not changing this until a new Jet Set Radio is announced. Started 10/13/11
#15slickvic1990Posted 12/5/2012 9:37:30 AM
if you're gonna do any kind of downloading, I'd recommend the Deluxe. 3GB just isn't enough space. also, even if you're using an external, the Deluxe comes with that premium plan, which gives you back 10% of your purchase. good for a free game down the line
---
I enjoyed RE6, and both FF13 games. I think Skyward Sword is the second best Zelda after Majora's Mask. I have no desire to play Skyrim. I actually like COD.
#16BigJon1448Posted 12/5/2012 9:49:19 AM
SoLiD_SaL posted...

That would mean that they're changing the entire framework of the Wii U OS. I've never seen an 8 GB firmware update from, well...ANYBODY. So, yeah, it's pretty unlikely.
---
If you loved the old GOOD wrestling games, give support:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/920076-wwe-day-of-reckoning
#17EoinPosted 12/5/2012 10:15:30 AM
SoLiD_SaL posted...
My concern is a firmware update larger than 8GB. Not sure if Nintendo would ever do that.

Firmware updates probably will never increase in size from now. They'll fit into the reserved space and won't affect usable space. Firmware, realistically, never needs to exceed a gigabyte. Look at all the things the PS3 does with <200MB of firmware.

Consoles are moving towards a more app-based model anyway, where instead of things being part of the firmware whether you want them or not, the firmware is more streamlined and you download the apps you want. It's likely that Nintendo will add at least some future features as apps rather than firmware updates.

slickvic1990 posted...
if you're gonna do any kind of downloading, I'd recommend the Deluxe. 3GB just isn't enough space. also, even if you're using an external, the Deluxe comes with that premium plan, which gives you back 10% of your purchase. good for a free game down the line

If you're going to do much downloading, then the key thing is to get a hard drive. 3GB isn't enough space but 25GB isn't going to stretch very far either.
#181shadetail1Posted 12/5/2012 10:40:17 AM
Eoin posted...
If you're going to do much downloading, then the key thing is to get a hard drive. 3GB isn't enough space but 25GB isn't going to stretch very far either.

This, by far. If you're going to do a lot of digital games and apps and stuff, the 32GB model is simply not enough. So it wouldn't matter whether you have it or the 8GB model; either way, you're going to need external storage. I say the 32GB model is best for people who are *not* going to be downloading stuff, because for them 32GB should be sufficient.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.