Console froze post-update...

#1ZabbyXPosted 12/5/2012 9:26:27 AM
Hi, UK Wii U owner here.
Haven't experienced any crashes or errors at all prior to the update, but I updated the console today and whilst playing Sonic&ASRT it suddenly froze with a weird tone coming from my speakers. Was I right in unplugging it from the power, or was there another way?

Also has anyone else experienced any problems since today's update?
Other than that, I'm really enjoying the Wii U!
---
3DS FC: 2492 4476 2503. WiiU/Nintendo I.D: DZabby
PSN I.D: ZabbyX
#2huyiPosted 12/5/2012 12:13:11 PM
did your console turn on ok after you unpluged it?
---
UK Female Gamer
PC specs: AMD FX BULLDOZER 4100 QUAD CORE 4.0ghz ATI HD6670 8GB RAM 1TB HDD Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/HUYI1
#31shadetail1Posted 12/5/2012 12:26:26 PM
I haven't gotten the update yet. That said, I've experienced one freeze that sounds the same as yours. I was playing Darksiders 2, and suddenly the image froze and an obnoxiously loud buzz started blasting out of my speakers. I turned the sound off and held down the console's power button for nearly a full minute, but it didn't reset or turn off. So I pulled the power plug and waited for a couple minutes, plugged it back in, and turned it on. It worked fine, and I've had no other issues since.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#4Bowser05Posted 12/5/2012 12:31:40 PM
I haven't downloaded the patch yet, but my system does that occassionally only when I play Nintendo Land for some reason. I have no idea what the issue is and I hope there is a firmware update FAST to fix this, because I AM NOT losing all my Wii saves and downloads if I need to send it in to Nintendo :(.
---
Playing:Dragon Age 2,LBP,K:CC,FFXIII,Gears3,Borderlands,PkMnW,DKCR,Halo Reach,Assassin's Creed
Still waiting for Nintendo to release Mother 3 in the US...
#5andrea987Posted 12/5/2012 12:31:57 PM
Were you playing online? It did it to me once while playing fifa online (before today's update). Had to take the cord off, but it restarted ok. Didn't have any other problems since.
#6grimms2Posted 12/5/2012 12:34:28 PM
Same exact thing happen to me on my deluxe on the 18th us launch. Updated my wii u, popped in NSMBU and heard this buzzing sound. I had to unplug the unit. Haven't had a problem since.
#7DeathSoul2000Posted 12/5/2012 12:38:26 PM
i had my gamepad die on me during the update and then i was met with no input. thankfully it shut off with a press of the power button and restarted again fine.
#8Bowser05Posted 12/5/2012 2:25:53 PM
The joys of getting systems at launch right? I just hope all these problems are programming issues and can be updated with firmware patches and not actual hardware issues :(.
---
Playing:Dragon Age 2,LBP,K:CC,FFXIII,Gears3,Borderlands,PkMnW,DKCR,Halo Reach,Assassin's Creed
Still waiting for Nintendo to release Mother 3 in the US...
#9dbhomiePosted 12/5/2012 2:30:56 PM
This happens with our NTSC Wii U's and the update does jack... the one which is just out now fixes the Eshop but can't fix the Wii U.

I hate to say it but if nintendo can't get their act together the Wii U won't last as long as they hoped, my solution is simple... try to reset your Wii U data and don't agree to the update upon intenet acess configuration.

You may not get DLC or Mii verse, but at least the Wii U won't ever crash ^^
---
My PBR friend code is: 2105-7453-9147
#10ZabbyX(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 4:38:51 PM
It turned on okay and there have been no problems whatsoever since the freeze which is a relief. Thanks for the replies!

I wasn't playing online, I was just doing some single player stuff and upon completing a race it just froze.

Is the general thought that Miiverse or online functions running in the background are causing these issues?
---
3DS FC: 2492 4476 2503. WiiU/Nintendo I.D: DZabby
PSN I.D: ZabbyX