does anyone use an external hard drive with their wii u?

#11RahzarXPosted 12/5/2012 3:49:21 PM
meiyuki posted...
RahzarX posted...
meiyuki posted...
Yeah you need a y-cable if you don't have a power source, it works fine once you get the cable though, and they're only like $5.

What?

You don't need that. Just plug it in and go.

if you've got a hard drive with no power source and one usb plug working then you have one of a tiny select few that work on a single usb. Most hard drives can't get enough power from one port to do read/write operations.

What year did you come from!?

I've been using a single USB port external HDD for 3 years now.

Do you happen to have a really old HDD?
---
whythefat "DDR, I notice your karma is 567. That 5+6+7= 18. 18 plus your IQ is 19. There were 19 hijackers on 911. You are a terrorist."
#12RE4_FanPosted 12/5/2012 3:51:58 PM
I've got an old 320GB HDD that came with a Y-Cable and still works on a single USB (as in, a USB cable with only one connector on it) the only time it ever struggled to get enough power was on my old PC, but that had dodgy USB ports =P

Even so, I still had my Y cable so I used that to connect my HD to the Wii U =)
#13meiyukiPosted 12/5/2012 3:52:08 PM
RahzarX posted...

Look at what forum you're on, now think about what I could possibly be talking about.

You havn't been using an external HD on the wii U for 3 years. Now stop and think about my posts again.
#14joshua593210Posted 12/5/2012 3:53:07 PM
1TB hard drive.
#15TCaC04Posted 12/5/2012 3:56:38 PM
1TB HDD with a Y-cable.
---
FC(s)/PSN ID in quote
#16RahzarXPosted 12/5/2012 3:57:25 PM
meiyuki posted...
RahzarX posted...

Look at what forum you're on, now think about what I could possibly be talking about.

You havn't been using an external HD on the wii U for 3 years. Now stop and think about my posts again.

My ignorance is the best.

I've had my HDD plugged into my Wii U since launch in case I needed more space, never checked to see if it was actually detected.

That's honestly ridiculous that it needs a Y Cable, nothing that I've ever used has ever need such a thing.
---
whythefat "DDR, I notice your karma is 567. That 5+6+7= 18. 18 plus your IQ is 19. There were 19 hijackers on 911. You are a terrorist."
#17Nightshift1983(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 4:32:28 PM
What is the highest terabyte harddrive that can be used
---
The glass is half empty.
#18PlaysaverPosted 12/6/2012 7:08:02 PM
RahzarX posted...
meiyuki posted...
RahzarX posted...
meiyuki posted...
Yeah you need a y-cable if you don't have a power source, it works fine once you get the cable though, and they're only like $5.

What?

You don't need that. Just plug it in and go.

if you've got a hard drive with no power source and one usb plug working then you have one of a tiny select few that work on a single usb. Most hard drives can't get enough power from one port to do read/write operations.

Say what you will, but I've got at least 4 external usb drives that are powered from the usb port. All work on my pc's usb ports without a y adapter, BUT not all usb ports on other devices can put out enough power from just one usb port to power those usb drives, that worked on my pc. So on other devices I need a y adapter just to get them to work. Wii U is one of those devices that can't put enough power from a single usb port to power any of those 4 drives that work fine on my pc with just one usb port. Stop assuming just because your pc can power your brand new extrernal hdd that the Wii U can.
The only external usb powered hdd i've found, so far, that seems to work fine with a Wii U was a Seagate 500gig expansion drive. (STBX5000100 bought at target when they had a big sale a couple weeks ago.)
One of the 4 drives did manage to get recognized by my Wii U enough to get formated by the Wii U. But it was very unstable till I used a Y adapter. That was a brand new toshiba 500 gig cavair hdd.
#19UberGTOPosted 12/6/2012 7:39:06 PM
1.5TB Seagate that's uses AC adapter instead of USB.

Works great and has a couple games on it. It should be more than enough for me. Would fit about 90 games the size of Tekken tag or 450 ish NSMB U's on it. Was going to use my old WD 500GB drive on it when I realized its been streaming media to my Boxee and torrents for the last 5 or 6 years. Can't imagine it has another 5 or 6 years of life left in it.
---
NNID: UberGTO
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/soldier/UberGTO/stats/352514511/xbox/
#200PTICSPosted 12/6/2012 7:56:41 PM
I have a few externals, but I plan on buying one that'll be dedicated to the Wii U. Preferably one that doesn't need an AC adapter. Since digital copies of games are usually the same price or more than physical copies, I really don't need that much space.