Iwata:: ZombiU Will Become A Seminal Title For Wii U

#11Semi45aPosted 12/6/2012 10:55:12 AM
sounds sick
---
The only Vita games really worth getting: Gravity Rush & P4G
Being unable to detect sarcasm and lies might be an early way to catch dementia
#12P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 2:24:17 PM
Does anybody else agree with Iwata? That ZombiU could be the thing that drives developers to become creative on the Wii U? Also, do you think that ZombiU is the best game to show off what the Gamepad offers to further gaming, or do you think another title does this better?
---
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Samurai Warriors 3DS
http://youtu.be/X21mJh6j9i4
#13AkaimizuPosted 12/6/2012 2:41:24 PM(edited)
I think ZombiU was well done in its use of the gamepad. Not sure if it will inspire as much creative things to be used with the gamepad. You have to sample its use across a number of the launch games to do that (some with other methods in its use that ZombiU doesn't do).

I do believe ZombiU will bring about some "me toos" that will use the gamepad in exactly the same way instead of a brand new way. That is, take elements used in ZombiU instead of branching out somewhere different. Things like Aliens: Colonial Marines. And while I do believe their gamepad use will be a fantastic idea, it will still be completely not new by then. It's just that, well, the ZombiU blips were a big part of the movie Aliens, in the first place, why not emulate the movie with it?

Now I wouldn't mind if someone decides to take some of these ideas and make twists on their formula, for things that would be generally helpful. I could see taking some of the Character display information (always available on the gamepad) from Skylanders Giants, and maybe allow it to flip to a screen to manipulate equips and inventory at a touch (a simplified twist on ZombiU) and use it for perhaps a game like Torchlight 2. That would be a use, in a dungeon hacker, which would actually improve the gameplay for users, especially playing multiplayer.

I do think that ZombiU does have some deserved praise, not so much just in gamepad integration, but for trying something different in survival horror on consoles. Inventive takes on the genre aren't just a recent PC thing, like Amnesia. This one also pulls it off, and yet makes things even more scary than the more crowded Zombie market does, and provides a hardware-specific experience to the game. That fact that the gamepad, and the frantic idea of having to pay attention between two screens and audio sources, really puts an extra touch to it. There's a specific reason why your communication only comes from the gamepad.

---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vern Reid (http://houseofninja.com/tutorial.php)
#14IcecreamdunwichPosted 12/6/2012 2:40:01 PM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
art_of_the_kill posted...
Well it's already failed on the "critically acclaimed" front.

when 4 out of 5 reviewers give it praise then I think that's called "Critically Acclaimed"

You should actually read the reviews next time...
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#15STE573Posted 12/6/2012 2:45:35 PM
I agree, ZombiU is the best user of the Gamepad thus far, and although some uses will fall by the wayside, a lot of the uses can be built upon and refined to become something brilliant. But I'm sorry, ZombiU is not a great game, it is massively average, maybe a 6/10, it lacks the fun factor imo.
---
Im British!
GT- x STE 90 x, psn ID- X-STE-90-X Currently playing- Far Cry 2 (360), Kingdoms of Amalur (360), Pokemon Red (GBA), Pokemon Blue (GBA)
#16wingo84Posted 12/6/2012 2:51:52 PM
I'm partway through zombiU

the tension the game creates is immense. Tension caused from the use of the GamePad.

Trying to input codes whilst a load of Zombies are heading towards you or looting a corpse for health whilst zombies are lurking is frightening stuff, since you HAVE to look away from the television. The atmosphere is amazing.

The game isnt perfect by any means but it is very impressive how they have incorporated the role of the gamepad into the gameplay. It just couldn't/wouldn't function the same without it. It could be solved for other consoles in a way that when you need to open you backpack the menu pops up but with a live feed in the corner of your player... but having the gamepad means you can only look at one thing at a time which helps create the realism and frightening gameplay style.

I'd like to see other devs looking at pushing the possibilities further. This game should be a source of inspiration.

After playing I cannot understand why it scored low by a few reviewers. It is at least a 6.5-7 / 10 game.
---
NNID - Wingo84
#17RetroFanGirlPosted 12/6/2012 3:14:47 PM
GoombaX posted...
it wouldnt be a wii u topic without old news

Or a troll with no material making a snarky remark, followed by an attention seeker who quotes said troll and offers their own snarky remark to counter them.
---
Only my opinion is valid.
Confirmed by SunDevil77
#18MarioGalaxy2Posted 12/6/2012 3:17:22 PM

Well according to Metacritic its good with a score of 76.

Not 90+ but that's really hard to get. Look at Nano Assault you get all these 90 scores from reviewers. Then one reviewer gives you a 4/10 your metacritic score drops to a 71.
---
My Fan Made Starter Pokemon www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKoeZ8z98Bo
#19P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 8:30:04 PM
Bump
---
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Samurai Warriors 3DS
http://youtu.be/X21mJh6j9i4
#20pikachupwnagePosted 12/6/2012 8:33:01 PM
MarioGalaxy2 posted...

Well according to Metacritic its good with a score of 76.

Not 90+ but that's really hard to get. Look at Nano Assault you get all these 90 scores from reviewers. Then one reviewer gives you a 4/10 your metacritic score drops to a 71.

This. Always that one guy who sounds like he wants to hate the game or is insanely nitpicky or misses the entire point of the game.
---
"Grab life by the horns and shake it till it moos "
Official electric boogaloo mint scoop with a cherry on top of the IDF